PDA

View Full Version : The importance of safety stirrups - accident yesterday

peachypony
18-01-2010, 12:52
Just wanted to post this as a word of warning - especially at the moment with a lot of the horses fresh and excitable after the recent snow restrictions.

Yesterday a woman at our yard came off her horse in the park - her foot got caught in the stirrup and she was dragged a considerable way with the horse at flat out gallop. She is an experienced and competent rider and was wearing the correct footwear. Unfortunately she didn't have safety stirrups.

She was tossed around like a rag doll and at one point got caught under the horses feet. Luckily she was released before the horse galloped through one of the many width restricters in the country park or before he galloped into the trees as the consequences of this don't even bear thinking about.

She is ok, but her arm has been snapped clean in half :eek:, she is black and blue, her clothes and hat were torn to shreds and she is extremely shaken. It could have been a hell of a lot worse

I've have ordered a pair of 'toe cage' safety stirrups this morning as it has reminded me just how dangerous things can get.

Be safe everyone :thumbup:

essexlady
18-01-2010, 12:54
Omg poor thing, hope she recovers soon.

I do wear safety stirrups not that anyone has ever noticed, hope they work if I ever need them .

joosie
18-01-2010, 12:55
By "safety stirrups" do you mean the ones with elastic on the outside? ((Over here "safety stirrups" are the easy-release stirrup bars, like the ones on Wintec saddles))

Horseyjules
18-01-2010, 12:56
I think I am going to go buy some...

Northern_Rachel
18-01-2010, 12:57
I don't have safety stirrups but may invest in a pair of rubber band sided ones (Names slipped my mind!). thank you for bringing this to light.
I do hope she recovers soon, the poor soul!

Ace87
18-01-2010, 13:19
I have peacock irons for my stressage saddle and normal stirrups for my other one. My peacock irons works wonders when I fell off, band snapped foot came out stirrup and didn't get dragged under 17hh of bolting horse. However did hit a fence and break 3 vertibrae... oops!

Alexa&Tess
18-01-2010, 14:10
Just a note about the stirrups with the rubber rings, they aren't designed to take adult weight as they only have one side of the iron to support you.

Bendy stirrups would be a better option (mine are just foward facing stirrups though)

xfarnorthx
18-01-2010, 14:11
What a horrible accident! I always ride in peacock stirrups, and so does my daughter. I've never got a foot caught in a stirrup, and I don't want to, nor do I want to rely on the leather being pulled off the stirrup bar in the event of an incident like this.

It is, when all's said and done, a risk sport and I guess we all accept that risk every time we climb aboard, but I for one try to minimise the risks as much as I can.

I'm so glad it wasn't a lot worse - that could have ended very, very badly indeed! :(

Kirsty
18-01-2010, 14:11
I was also told what Alex has mentioned above! They aren't safe for 'heavier' adults to us!

xfarnorthx
18-01-2010, 14:16
I was also told what Alex has mentioned above! They aren't safe for 'heavier' adults to us!

I've not heard this before, but then until someone posted an earlier thread about children's leathers, I didn't realise you shouldn't be riding on those unless you weighed about 6.5 stone!! An excuse to visit the tack shop, I suppose, and check out those bendy stirrups......

Ace87
18-01-2010, 14:28
I'm only dinky so is that okay? I hate the bendy ones, Gonna have to fork out for pricey safety ones amn't i?

Kirsty
18-01-2010, 14:45
I think its more the design that puts me off them and I am sure other people of my weight as well! I prefer having strength on both sides! I have the bent ones and they take a bit of getting used to.

Chayla2000
18-01-2010, 15:04
Oh God, Hope she makes a speedy recovery

I use these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KORSTEEL-FLEXIBLE-STIRRUP-IRONS_W0QQitemZ130358365340QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_H orse_Wear_Equipment?hash=item1e59f6cc9c

roxie_9207
18-01-2010, 15:14
Thats horrible! I've always ha safety stirrups, I've got bent leg ones on 2 saddles and flexible ones on the other saddle. :)

Tbosborn
18-01-2010, 15:18
Horsebird, the girl your talking about, is her name Sam by any chance?

If so she is my best mate!!

jess vincent
18-01-2010, 17:22
Good point made. I told someone off today for riding with there foot right in the sturrip to the point it was against there ankle whilst they were jumping!! They had bent sturrips but it doesn't matter what they are if there not used right in the 1st place. Well done for pointing it out though & hope she gets better soon.

SallyLoofah
18-01-2010, 18:42
:eek: that sounds nasty! hope she gets better soon! I use the rubber ring ones! :thumbup:

cloudandmatrix
18-01-2010, 19:17
:gasp: i use normal ones:gasp: might start pleading for new saftey ones methinks:gasp: how horrible:eek: i hope she is alright:hugs:

Tbosborn
18-01-2010, 20:50
Bump!

Horsebird, did you see my reply earlier?

Just wondering if this lady your talking about is my friend Sam?

ginny!
18-01-2010, 21:13
Oh my!! How Horrible!! :(

Hope she makes a speedy recovery :) :hugs:

sunshine-x
18-01-2010, 21:21
peacock stirrups are annoying though in that my friend had one snap out huntign which caused him to come off due to the side completely dissapearing on him. another person i know got the elastic bit caught on a true or sticky out thing and that snapped and she came clean off. that wouldnt have happened with normal stirrups. so either wya there are ups and downs, but bent irons are probably the safest.

Dees-unpaidgroom
18-01-2010, 21:30
I have the rubber bands ones and have never had a problem and I weigh a good bit more than 6.5 stone.......

Iron Maiden
18-01-2010, 21:34
I'm very unsure about bendy stirrups being 'safety stirrups', they still form a captive loop & if you stick your foot through it the fact they are bendy doesn't necessarily make a lot of difference. A friend of mine also managed to get dragged badly with peacock irons. Barnes buckles or toestoppers are better to prevent dragging IMO.

horsy
18-01-2010, 21:46
I use Barnes buckles and they have come off for me both times I have fell off with them. Brilliant invention and yet hardly anybody knows about them! Every time somebody new gets my stirrup for me when I get on, they ask why my stirrups are wierd :)

jakkibag
19-01-2010, 06:26
Im really sorry to hear about this, it also happened to me two years ago doing xc, my biggest problem wasnt the fact i hadn't safety stirrups, more the fact i had on fat chunky Mountain Horse boots!
I always ride in bent leg stirrups now! Its just not worth taking the risk again! I have fallen off a couple of times since and always come free!
I also have a metal plate and 16 screws holding me together and a frankenstein scar running from my shoulder to elbow where they had to reroute my nerve due to major damage!!!
So i always tell people to be careful and always take precautions( different stirrups,toe cages, slimmer boots) , you just never know what may happen!

rosie
19-01-2010, 09:47
ooh never seen those barnes buckles - what a good idea... ta for sharing :)

Black Beastie
19-01-2010, 11:24
I have actually had accidents due to safety stirrups giving way.

I just make sure that my irons are larger than recommended for my foot and leave it at that.

Poor lady tho its a nasty thing to happen.

Nikki xxxx

lilythepink
19-01-2010, 13:01
I always use bent irons. My ex's sister in law was killed when she came off her horse and was dragged through the wood by her galloping panicing horse. Her head hit a tree and she broke her neck, the horse continued galloping and she finally came free when the horse jumped a fence to get back onto the road. She left behind 8 months old twins and a 4 year old :(

acw295
19-01-2010, 13:11
I can only use bendy stirrups - any other type leave my knee in agony as I have a permanent injury.

I don't think bendy ones are particularly "safe" - but I can't ride in anything else so I'll have to take my chances I'm afraid!

I will add though that I had an accident at RS when I rode a small pony with peacock stirrups that gave way over a jump (I would have been under 9 stone at the time) :(

peachypony
19-01-2010, 13:21
My friend told me a similar story last night about a woman she knew years ago - really doesn't bear thinking about.

I've ordered a pair of these - ugly I know, but I'm told they are one of the safest adult safety stirrups, as your foot can't get caught OR slip right through them.

peachypony
19-01-2010, 13:22
Oh! Pic didn't attach :rolleyes: I'll try again

Dees-unpaidgroom
19-01-2010, 18:58
I use Barnes buckles and they have come off for me both times I have fell off with them. Brilliant invention and yet hardly anybody knows about them! Every time somebody new gets my stirrup for me when I get on, they ask why my stirrups are wierd :)

I've never heard of these so just googled them to see the piccys but how do they work exactly???

SallyLoofah
19-01-2010, 19:01
another person i know got the elastic bit caught on a true or sticky out thing and that snapped and she came clean off. that wouldnt have happened with normal stirrups.

that happened to me and i ended up sitting on Sally's head :shame: luckily she kept it up or i would have splatted :lol: I am glad i had on safety stirrups though or I might have been hooked on the tree which would have dragged me off!

Kathyt
19-01-2010, 19:26
Why did her stirrup leather not come off the bar? This is a safety design on most saddles (some treeless have a ring instead of a bar and should ALWAYS be used with safety stirrups). The whole point of having bars is that if your foot gets caught in the stirrup, the leather will slip off. I would suggest she gets her saddle looked at (and she should be asking the saddle manufacturer some seriouse questions about why this safety feature failed to work).

CharliesAngel
19-01-2010, 19:34
Why did her stirrup leather not come off the bar? This is a safety design on most saddles (some treeless have a ring instead of a bar and should ALWAYS be used with safety stirrups). The whole point of having bars is that if your foot gets caught in the stirrup, the leather will slip off. I would suggest she gets her saddle looked at (and she should be asking the saddle manufacturer some seriouse questions about why this safety feature failed to work).

it doesnt always work though..... ive heard of a top showjumper who came off with the leather from one side crossing over the top of the saddle and the rider hanging from the opposite side. in that circumstance there is no way it would come loose. also, some stirrup leathers are very very tough to get in and out of the bars,and it would only be with pressure at one angle that would make them slide off.

peachypony
19-01-2010, 19:36
it doesnt always work though..... ive heard of a top showjumper who came off with the leather from one side crossing over the top of the saddle and the rider hanging from the opposite side. in that circumstance there is no way it would come loose. also, some stirrup leathers are very very tough to get in and out of the bars,and it would only be with pressure at one angle that would make them slide off.

This is true. Unfortunately this lady is not the first person I've known to be dragged, so obviously the bars fail a lot more often than they should.

Tbosborn
19-01-2010, 19:56
Im bumping this for my mate Sam who actually had the accident, to see it and reply, cos she has just joined but cant navigate this site yet, haha

horsy
19-01-2010, 20:09
I've never heard of these so just googled them to see the piccys but how do they work exactly???

They are fastened between the stirrup and leathers with press studs. When the stirrup turns to a funny angle, as in if your foot gets jammed in and you are being dragged, then it unpops the press studs and the stirrup comes off with your foot in it, away from the leather.

xhorseymadx
19-01-2010, 20:19
Hi all, I think it is me who horsebird is referring to, please bear with me, I am new to this site and can't figure my way round it!! I'm gonna keep this short as I only have one hand as the other arm is obviously broken lol.. Anyway, it was the right side I fell but the left stirrup my foot was stuck in, basically the stirrup came ove the saddle and had me hanging. They were safety stirrups (the ones with the rubber on the outside). This did not release at all. The girl back at the yard said when she put the stirrups up they were all in tack. All I way say is god bless my mark todd cook boots. Had I not had them on I think I may have also broken my ankle. Instead I walked away with a twisted ankle and very bruised foot!! Thanks to u alll for ur best wishes x

CharliesAngel
19-01-2010, 20:21
Hi all, I think it is me who horsebird is referring to, please bear with me, I am new to this site and can't figure my way round it!! I'm gonna keep this short as I only have one hand as the other arm is obviously broken lol.. Anyway, it was the right side I fell but the left stirrup my foot was stuck in, basically the stirrup came ove the saddle and had me hanging. They were safety stirrups (the ones with the rubber on the outside). This did not release at all. The girl back at the yard said when she put the stirrups up they were all in tack. All I way say is god bless my mark todd cook boots. Had I not had them on I think I may have also broken my ankle. Instead I walked away with a twisted ankle and very bruised foot!! Thanks to u alll for ur best wishes x

ooh, bless you. i hope you make a speedy recovery and thank you for posting. would you mind confirming? are your stirrups the bendy/flexi ones or ones that were meant to break away? many thanks

Tbosborn
19-01-2010, 20:33
Bluewicked, her laptop has been stolen by her nursemaid mum, lol so she cant reply, so she rang me to tell you that they were the stirrups that break away! Even though they don't, hmmm! Bless her she was really grateful that so many who don't know her wished her well, so thanks everyone, you all cheered her up :)

And thanks Horsebird for highlighting the issue of just how dangerous it can be! Oh and please everyone make sure you take a phone out hacking, because she didn't take one and had to walk a hell of a long way back in pain, and thank god she could get up and do that!

8-legged-pony
19-01-2010, 20:34

I've known people close those bars! I'v had to explain to someone before because they said "surely if I leave it open my stirrup leather will slip off!" EXACTLY the point I said!

CharliesAngel
19-01-2010, 20:35
tell her i said mega big thank yous and big, gentle, hugs to her.

*wonders now which ones to get, eeeek*

Tbosborn
19-01-2010, 20:42
tell her i said mega big thank yous and big, gentle, hugs to her.

*wonders now which ones to get, eeeek*

I will and thankyou :)

Shutterbug
19-01-2010, 20:48
Oh! Pic didn't attach :rolleyes: I'll try again

As well as the safety aspect, they are apparantly quite good for riders who tend to let their feet slip forward in the stirrup - my mate uses them for this very reason.

Personally I have had the bendy irons for about 6 years and I love them - they are big and roomy and I have never even came close to having my foot trapped on one of my many falls

I hope you get better soon horseymad - take care xx

essexlady
19-01-2010, 21:44

Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

cloudandmatrix
19-01-2010, 21:58
Hope you recover soon:hugs:

baker_823
19-01-2010, 22:30
THAT IS SO BAD! i have size 11 fat feet! and i cant find saftey stirups big enough any ideas?

shanzee
20-01-2010, 07:46

I have just googled these - they look a good idea. Where did you get yours from and how much were they?

Elly Koopman
20-01-2010, 10:09
As mentioned on the other thread - all these items to promote safety are not to be relied on, and do not substitute the correct size irons (regardless of type) and correct footwear. If you are fortunate to be small enough to have peacock stirrups (one with elastic sides), you need to make sure that your boots can actually fit through the gap created when the band comes off - otherwise it's pointless having them!! Same goes for any stirrup :)

You need to have a fingers width either side of your boot, nothing less, nothing more :thumbup:

horsy
20-01-2010, 13:12
I have just googled these - they look a good idea. Where did you get yours from and how much were they?

Ebay, a few years ago but about 12.50 if I remember right.

ponylover88
20-01-2010, 13:45
Well i get to join in on all this fun too now! Same thing happened to me today - wearing muckers and jumping 3 logs in a row in the woods alone, got too close to a thick bush which chucked me off the other side (right side). Left stirrup is a PITA to get on the saddle but between that coming off the saddle and my sprengers releasing me i ended up underneath a cantering panicking gem. I kept hold of the reins so got dragged further underneath her, now looking like i possibly broken my foot! Typical!!! :rolleyes:

xhorseymadx
20-01-2010, 14:21
Oh no, you better get that checked out. Hope u haven't done too much damage x

Tbosborn
20-01-2010, 14:29
Well i get to join in on all this fun too now! Same thing happened to me today - wearing muckers and jumping 3 logs in a row in the woods alone, got too close to a thick bush which chucked me off the other side (right side). Left stirrup is a PITA to get on the saddle but between that coming off the saddle and my sprengers releasing me i ended up underneath a cantering panicking gem. I kept hold of the reins so got dragged further underneath her, now looking like i possibly broken my foot! Typical!!! :rolleyes:

Hope your ok! What is it latley with accidents, im glad i got off today when i had the chance! Get well soon x

sancho
20-01-2010, 14:56
Ive always ridden using the peacock irons (rubber band). Im over 11stones at the moment and I have never had an iron bend, break or anything else.

I refuse to ride in anything else tbh as Im terrified of being dragged. Nothing can separate me from my bog standard, kids/RS type stirrups!!!:shame:

I look at the expensive alternatives and end up thinking 'nope, in an emergency it just isnt as good as a peacock iron!'.

cloudandmatrix
20-01-2010, 16:08
the original accident was i think wearing peacocks??

ponylover88
20-01-2010, 18:00
I had the black sprengers on which are more flexible than the copies (been dragged in copies) and *touches wood* i havent been dragged in proper sprengers, all ill ride in for comfort and safety. Ive never been a fan of peacocks, they dont look pretty or safe to me tbh, ive seen bands get flung off before and hit another horse! :o :eek:

will add a pic of foot in a sec, riding tomorrow if not too painful in the morning.

ETA:: pic!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/eba959da.jpg

CharliesAngel
20-01-2010, 18:03
ouchie hun! hope you're not too sore xx

noodle
20-01-2010, 21:55
I am ALOT heavier than 11stone, and size 8 and wide feet and have a very large pair of peacock irons that come with rosies saddle, never knew they were only for children!!!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/noodledoodle1974/rodhunt3.jpg

unicornleather
21-01-2010, 10:48
I hope the person who had the accident recovers.
The irons would not have dragged her if they had been fitted correctly, you should have heels on the boots used AND ONLY 1/2" gap either side of your boot and NO MORE, if these sizing guidelines are followed it stands to reason that the foot simply cannot go through the iron (fillis or ordinary) if they have a fall.
As Kathyt said earlier, if the thumbs on the saddle were down, ( NEVER have them up always leave them open) then the stirrup leather would simply pull off the saddle bar.
It is usually down to ignorance and badly maintained saddlery accidents happen.
How many people regularly oil their saddle bar thumbs and have them in an open position?
I am always prizing them open when flocking up saddles and giving the owners lectures on the dangers of closed thumbs.
BASIC maintenance will stop alot of accidents.
Peacock irons are not designed for adults over 7 stone (ish), they are primarily used for children, the mere design of them having only 3 sides makes them dangerous to use for heavy adults or heavy (jumping etc) work, they can and do fail.
Oz

peachypony
21-01-2010, 12:17
I hope the person who had the accident recovers.
The irons would not have dragged her if they had been fitted correctly, you should have heels on the boots used AND ONLY 1/2" gap either side of your boot and NO MORE, if these sizing guidelines are followed it stands to reason that the foot simply cannot go through the iron (fillis or ordinary) if they have a fall.
As Kathyt said earlier, if the thumbs on the saddle were down, ( NEVER have them up always leave them open) then the stirrup leather would simply pull off the saddle bar.
It is usually down to ignorance and badly maintained saddlery accidents happen.
How many people regularly oil their saddle bar thumbs and have them in an open position?
I am always prizing them open when flocking up saddles and giving the owners lectures on the dangers of closed thumbs.
BASIC maintenance will stop alot of accidents.
Peacock irons are not designed for adults over 7 stone (ish), they are primarily used for children, the mere design of them having only 3 sides makes them dangerous to use for heavy adults or heavy (jumping etc) work, they can and do fail.
Oz

Actually, Sam has already said that she was flung over the saddle, flipping the stirrup leather (with her foot still in it) over with her, so her foot was caught with the leather hanging down on the wrong side of the saddle, which is why the leather wasn't released from the bar, and why her foot got caught at an awkward angle in the stirrup. I can assure you that Sam is neither ignorant, nor has 'badly maintained saddlery'. She was also wearing the correct footwear, and clothing for that matter.

Tbosborn
21-01-2010, 12:26
Actually, Sam has already said that she was flung over the saddle, flipping the stirrup leather (with her foot still in it) over with her, so her foot was caught with the leather hanging down on the wrong side of the saddle, which is why the leather wasn't released from the bar, and why her foot got caught at an awkward angle in the stirrup. I can assure you that Sam is neither ignorant, nor has 'badly maintained saddlery'. She was also wearing the correct footwear, and clothing for that matter.

Thanks i was just about to reply the same thing :)

Ace87
21-01-2010, 14:21
Just to re-iterate my point...

Peacock irons DO work when correctly fitted. When I had my accident I was about 10stone. I was riding in my dressage saddle with Wintec Webbers leathers and Peacock irons. My boots had a fingers width either side between boot and iron. I was doing flatwork (I do not use 'webbers' or peacocks for jumping as they are just not suitable) and was flung over my saddle to the left, my right foot came out of my stirrup, my left foot had the pressure on it as I fell to the left, the peacock rubber ring broke, releasing my foot and instead of being dragged and probably killed under 17hh of bolting horse, I hit a fence.

When buying peacock leathers they MUST be the correct size. You MUST be able to get your foot in your boot out of the aperture left by the rubber breaking, otherwise what is the point?!

It is advisable to not use them for jumping, hunting, xc, etc as they've not got the rigidity to be able to withstand these activities. If you do use them for these activities, replace the rubbers before you do it so you don't have things like "my rubber ring snapped and I fell off" the only cause of that is poor maintenance that these things occur.

I will continue to use my peacock irons to school in. And I also have a pair of normal irons which are on my GP saddle. I am aware of the risks of those but am happy to ride in them until I can afford some of the irons with a built in swivel action.

They only way you can guarantee to not get dragged is the toe stop stirrups.

unicornleather
21-01-2010, 15:22
I stand by what I say, if the irons were of the correct size her foot wouldn't have been able to get stuck in them and always test the rubbers on them before you go out, as I said bad maintance

Tbosborn
21-01-2010, 15:35
I stand by what I say, if the irons were of the correct size her foot wouldn't have been able to get stuck in them and always test the rubbers on them before you go out, as I said bad maintance

Sorry but the girl is my best friend and she has had horses for 25 yrs, she would know if any of her tack was unsuitable, and without you actually seeing it i really don't think you can comment tbh!!!!

sancho
21-01-2010, 16:18
[QUOTE=noodle;170236]I am ALOT heavier than 11stone, and size 8 and wide feet and have a very large pair of peacock irons that come with rosies saddle, never knew they were only for children!!!

Noodle - I didnt until a thread about them on New Rider and I was told that they will twist etc and I shouldnt wear them! Im glad Im not the only one. :-)

peachypony
21-01-2010, 17:10

I'm sure in your capacity as a saddler you have a valid point. However, there are more diplomatic ways of making that point, primarily without using the word 'ignorance' which is insulting, and secondly without constantly using the phrase 'bad maintenance' implying lack of responsibility. People are far more likely to listen to your advice if you deliver it in a less bullish manner.

I am still of the firm belief that accidents can, and always will happen despite taking every precaution, and this I believe is the situation here.

CharliesAngel
21-01-2010, 17:23

that just simply is not true. yes, you would have to be unlucky, but the laws of physics unfortunately mean that there is an angle at which your foot can become stuck if combined with the correct downward force, in addition - when the leather is flipped over the top of the saddle (as has been explained is what happened in this case) it is very unlikely it is going to slide off.

to imply that the accident occurred because of bad maintenance is rather unkind and also arrogant.

unicornleather
21-01-2010, 21:13
Each unto their own point and I still stand by what I say!
Majority of repairs any saddler will get in their workshop is due to bad maintenance, this is all I am going to write on the subject as it will go on forever otherwise.

noodle
21-01-2010, 21:23
I used my peacock irons to go hunting in too! thought it was the 'safest'thing to do eeeekkk, why the hell would they make them in such a HUGE size, i will now have to think about using different stirrups

But they saved my once from a possible nasty accident when one got stuck on a gate handle, rosie didnt panic, but she wasnt too happy and charged through the gate, the rubber snapped on the stirrup and stopped a nasty accident

jess vincent
21-01-2010, 23:23
How is she doing? I think i also helps with them being used properly (ball of the foot) rather than being used like this http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab245/nagsinrags/fb.jpg(bent irons in the photo)

greyhorse
22-01-2010, 11:11
I always use peacocks and have never been dragged. I am about 7 stone so hopefully im not too heavy for them. I did however have a girl ride my horse once and she managed to come off and snap the band. She was alot heavier than me though so maybe they did the job they were meant to do.