Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elbow replacements....

Default Elbow replacements....

Does anyone know anybody who has had an elbow replacement(or both) and successfully still managed to ride and care for their horses?

I really don't like the sound of the operation or the rehabilitation and the results (apart from being pain free) don't sound spectacular. I worry about not being able to carry and lift things, for fear of the replacements breaking loose.

At the moment my elbows are pretty much stuck at right angles with little movement. Twisting and turning my arms are extremely painful. But this has been going on for 18mths or so now and together with pain killers and my arthritis drugs and being careful, I manage......most of the time.

I think I want to wait until I can't cope any longer before getting it done. I am slightly worried about the amount of pain relief I take and the long term effect on my liver and kidneys.

My family and my consultant are eager for me to have it done as quickly as possible. But I'm only 36yrs old........wot happens when they need replacing again and again? You can only have it done up to 3 times and I have been told that they should last 10 yrs if I do as I'm told.

Sorry for the long post....not sure I expect any replies...think I just needed to write it down. I've got to stop trying to please everyone else.

Thanks for reading x

You need to speak to Monty on NR, she is an orthopaedic nurse who has been at the sharp end herself of various joint replacments, and riding and looking after horses.

Thanks Wally Looks like I might have to subscribe after all.

I could maybe get you two in touch,

if you want me to send her your e-mail, PM me.

Smile

Don't know anything about elbow replacements sorry, but I just wanted to say good luck with whatever you decide I hope it goes well.

I thought that personally I would have it done sooner rather than later, but then when I read that they might only last for 10 years I understood your reluctance to go ahead to soon, though I tend to think live for today x
    What doesn't kill you...Makes you stronger....Honest

Thanks Wally, I have PMed you.
    Thankyou Great Auntie
    There lies my problem too. I am very much of the mind set that, you should do all that you can while you can, and theres loads I still need to do!!

Im just out of hospital myslef after having a knee replacement... while in there i met two ladies who have both had this done, both have RA, and one had it done 8 weeks ago, and the other a few years ago. she says that although she's needed several replacements for various joints, he elbow was the most useful one.

I cant personally comment on it, but say this.. get it done while your ligaments/muscles etc are still moveableable and fairly fit..... to do it when all movement has gone will make it a far more painful op and slower recovery, which you do not want.

Good Luck - research it as much as you can, and listen to your surgeon, he knows what he's talking about.

Smile

Good Luck - research it as much as you can, and listen to your surgeon, he knows what he's talking about.[/QUOTE]

Well Said Julz
    What doesn't kill you...Makes you stronger....Honest

Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Im just out of hospital myslef after having a knee replacement... while in there i met two ladies who have both had this done, both have RA, and one had it done 8 weeks ago, and the other a few years ago. she says that although she's needed several replacements for various joints, he elbow was the most useful one.

I cant personally comment on it, but say this.. get it done while your ligaments/muscles etc are still moveableable and fairly fit..... to do it when all movement has gone will make it a far more painful op and slower recovery, which you do not want.

Good Luck - research it as much as you can, and listen to your surgeon, he knows what he's talking about.
    I hope you are recovering well!!
    I certainly am researching as much as possible, but its hard to find people my age who have had it done( for their personal opinions and experiences).
    My consultant wants me to have it asap but when I asked the surgeon what he would do, he said that if he was my age he would more than likely leave it as long as possible till he had it done.
    My muscles and ligaments are pretty good, I'm well exercised and try to push through the pain to keep as much mobility as possible in the joints.
    Got a review coming up in November, so I guess I'll see where I go from there.
    Thankyou both for your replies and I do hope you make a good, speedy (sensible) recovery Julz.

Just a little update. With alot of research and advice from a 2nd opinion(consultant) and good results from Liver function and kidney tests. I have decided to leave it as long as possible and review my situation in 6 mths time.
    So far this winter, the enbrel, methotrexate and tramadol are keeping me going quite comfortably.
    I also have a new coloured cob mare to keep me busy!!
    Thankyou for all the replies xx