Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knee Op

Default Knee Op

My knee operation is looming nearer and nearer....

anyone got any advice on what to expect?

(had same post on NR, but cannot get on it any more )

Thank you to whoever added this section MmmmmmmWA!
    Last edited by Julz; 17-11-2009 at 17:10.

I haven't seen the other thread?

What are you having done?

I had a knee op in July and I will say it was a breeze. They are SO good with knee's these days you haven't got much to worry about! I was up and walking the same day. Limp was gone in under 6 weeks.

Keep moving as much as your safe too afterwards as it flushes the GA out of you system faster and will loosen your knee up too!

Hi, Im having it replaced, to go with my total hip replacement on the same leg.

I dont know if you know this but GA's take 6months to exit your body, though the effect only takes a few days (the grogginess etc)

I have a really good surgeon, so that's a blessing, he also did my hip.

How long did it take you to get back to riding?

maybe NR has deleted it??

I had a knee op late feb.... (BADDD tibual plateau fracture) at the same time a friend of mine had a total knee replacement....

The timeline of us getting better was ni on the same ..... though I was none weight baring for 7 weeks whilst she was weight baring from the off go! ...... I was on a horse in 9 week.... she was on a simulator at 10. walk and canter are god sends ! trot took longer and obviously being able to use the leg effectly took time. Now I'm pretty much a ok riding front .... tho sometimes jumping flares it up somewhat. I can run/jog short distances

Hope op goes well!!

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Hi, Im having it replaced, to go with my total hip replacement on the same leg.

I dont know if you know this but GA's take 6months to exit your body, though the effect only takes a few days (the grogginess etc)

I have a really good surgeon, so that's a blessing, he also did my hip.

How long did it take you to get back to riding?

maybe NR has deleted it??
    I haven't been on NR which is why I haven't seen, I'm sure it's still there.

I know the GA 6 month rule, I'm about to have my 6th GA in the last 30 months so I'm getting professional about flushing it out! Tons of water and moving about and getting that metabolism going does help flush it through.

I was riding in two months, I didn't have a replacement though. I had a knee cap and cartilage problem. A family friend had a replacement and she was completely back to normal in 3 months, playing tennis and everything.

Best of luck, I'm sure it'll go smoothly! I have a range of experience with the medical profession and knee dr's are by far the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Thestral View Post
    I have a range of experience with the medical profession
    so do i

Good luck, Julz!
    I didn't know that about GA, though! Time for a google, me thinks!

Good luck! I'm sure it'll be fine

Good luck with your op. I think your surgeon will let you know how long recovery will take for your problem. Regarding the GA, I've just had 2 in the last 2 months and I was fine a few hours later. In my case I had a large tumour inside my bone above the knee which has now been filled with concrete. Was back in the saddle after 5 weeks, though mounting on 'wrong' side and no stirrups but still up there : ) Interesting thing for me was discovering that having lost muscle in one leg, that side is lighter and makes balance a little trickier at the moment.

Thoughts will be with you lovely Let me know if there is anything I can do?