Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice/ideas please

Default Advice/ideas please

Having had a ray amputation of my right ring finger back in July last year,im finding it hard to grip reins,and when my hunter takes a hold(everytime we kick on!) i find the reins slipping through my palm,and he ends up getting away from me.
    Can anyone recommend something,or maybe a holding techique to stop this happening.
    I use rubber reins and pimple gloves,and hold them in a full fist.
    Thankyou!!!

Not sure if it will help or not but how about putting a thick elastic band around the point in the rein you don't wish your hand to slide back past. It should add a bit of extra grip for you and hopefully prevent your reins slipping too far.Otherwise is it possible for you to bridge your reins? Again this should help prevent them slipping too far and at least give you a little more control of your horses head.

Yep id agree with a rubber band or how about a martingale stopper threaded on to the rein, that may be easier to grip as it is more solid and slightly larger?

There are reins you can buy with loops in them which may be of benefit to you hon

Thank you for your replies.
    I think the rubber band,or martingale will slide,as he is really strong....used to get away from me regulary when i had all my fingers intact,but will try it.
    Hollysmum,do you know what the reins with loops on are called?

put your reins between different finegrs if it is just one finger that is an issue?

Alwaysfallingoff Guest

Sounds like a pair of peg reins (like ordinary reins but with 3" long wooden pegs stuck through them at regular intervals. Tried a google image search and failed I'll have a look later) might help you.

you can have loop reins made at a saddlers, just buy normal plain leather reins, and measure where you'd like the loops to be fitted. My sister was going to have some made, as she has arthritis in her fingers and has trouble holding them sometimes.
    Bark 'n' Stride Dog Walking - see http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bark-n...51243278258021 for more info and contact details

What about some De Boiz Correct Contact Reins?
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Alwaysfallingoff Guest

The only problem with loop reins is that once you're on board they're not easily adjustable. At best you have two sets of loops so you can have a shorter one and a longer one, but if you suddenly need them any shorter you're a bit stuck. Because the pegs on peg reins are set in every few inches you can shorten and lengthen them as necessary.