Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice/ideas please

You can have loop reins made with as many loops needed as you wish. so lengthening or shortening shouldnt be a problem
    Bark 'n' Stride Dog Walking - see http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bark-n...51243278258021 for more info and contact details

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine-x View Post
    put your reins between different finegrs if it is just one finger that is an issue?
    I think this is a good idea. You could also try holding your reins "upside down", so the rein comes into your hand between your thumb and first finger.

I shall certainly give it a go sunshine and Pirouette,but only having 3 fingers and a thumb left,and a huge great sensitive scar up through my palm i think it may be a bit difficult.
    My whole hand is alot weaker than it used to be.
    Do you think you would have more grip if you had your reins through fingers rather than around my whole hand??

Alwaysfallingoff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    You can have loop reins made with as many loops needed as you wish. so lengthening or shortening shouldnt be a problem
    Whether people prefer reins with pegs or lots of loops is a personal thing. The majority of riders I have taught tend to find lots of loops fiddly but can alter the pegs easily. I also quite like ladder reins but I don't think they'd help the OP. I'm an RDAI so have seen pretty much every funky set of reins you care to think of!

I couldn't find a picture of peg reins so I've had a very bad attempt at drawing some in Paint. The set on the left are peg reins. The set in the middle are 'ordinary' loop reins. The ones on the right are what I think Julz is referring to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

When I was teaching a young girl with cerebral palsy she had problems with her right arm and hand, she could not grip very well and had no strengh in that arm so I used two rubber martingale stoppers. They were hard to put on but they did not move, she was jumping using this.

Thank you very much everyone for taking the time to write their ideas down for me.
    Will certainly be having a play around and trying several of the options

Have you tried using normal cleated reins? ( http://www.westernshoppe.com/product...D%20REINS.aspx )They have the leather bits at regular intervals. Perhaps also try changing your gloves? I find the pimple grips to be not so grippy. Suede-grip gloves have better hold (I've ridden a puller and the suede gloves were the only ones that protected my hands properly).