Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Riding in the Olden Days!

No pics I'm afraid. I can remember in 1971 when I first learnt to ride, we went to Thomas & Taylor at the bottom of the Moor in Sheffield to be kitted out.
    My sister & I asked for some Jodhpurs, and when the assistant brought them out they were the trad ones with huge wings at the top. We cried!! She said, "you want riding trousers" and brought out a slimmer version. They only came in cream. We had Harry Hall black velvet hats with an elastic strap which we put around the hat as only beginners had the elastic on their chins!! We had Stylo Matchmaker long boots & a brown hacking jacket & yellow string gloves. Very correct. For Xmas I got a clear plastic cover for my hat & a black harness with obligatory chin cup. I think they became discredited as they caused some serious neck injuries. I had to stop riding aged 15 (1975 eek!!) as I smashed my elbow pretty badly and spent a week in Sheffield Children's having reconstructive surgery. My parents wouldn't let me ride any more. When I returned to riding 27 years later I was amazed at the change in riding wear & the sheer amount of horsey STUFF available.

Quote Originally Posted by arlosmum View Post
    No pics I'm afraid. I can remember in 1971 when I first learnt to ride, we went to Thomas & Taylor at the bottom of the Moor in Sheffield to be kitted out.
    My sister & I asked for some Jodhpurs, and when the assistant brought them out they were the trad ones with huge wings at the top. We cried!! She said, "you want riding trousers" and brought out a slimmer version. They only came in cream. We had Harry Hall black velvet hats with an elastic strap which we put around the hat as only beginners had the elastic on their chins!! We had Stylo Matchmaker long boots & a brown hacking jacket & yellow string gloves. Very correct. For Xmas I got a clear plastic cover for my hat & a black harness with obligatory chin cup. I think they became discredited as they caused some serious neck injuries. I had to stop riding aged 15 (1975 eek!!) as I smashed my elbow pretty badly and spent a week in Sheffield Children's having reconstructive surgery. My parents wouldn't let me ride any more. When I returned to riding 27 years later I was amazed at the change in riding wear & the sheer amount of horsey STUFF available.
    Aaah, Stylo Matchmakers. The dog's danglies. They were SO posh compared to those rubbish rubber things that you cut down to length.
    I loved my Stylos.

I was the regular rider in the childhood because My uncle have more then 10 horses. but now I have very busy life so I can't go for the ride any more. Still I still the time from the office for the riding sometimes. I love riding and thats in speed.

approx 1960 -- beach pony

very first time on a neddie

My 18th birthday invite made by my sister has me and ponies through the ages I'll haver to get her to send the photos to me
    Not that long ago though. The earliest must be about 1998?

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    It does look like a mule.

Malaga takes exception to that comment!