Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding in the Olden Days!

Great pictures everyone . I learnt to ride iin the 1970's and can remember my first pair of jodhpurs had those huge flaps at the top, I really, really hated them

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner so am unable to post and share any of my dodgy photos

"I think animal testing is cruel. They get nervous and get all the answers wrong" Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by If wishes were horses ... View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a scanner so am unable to post and share any of my dodgy photos
    Sounds like an excuse to me! And Mr Ed hasn't posted her pictures yet either!

My jods had wings too. When I came back to riding I asked what those stretchy things were everyone was wearing - err, jodhpurs? I was told (as if I was stupid). Well I didn't know! They didn't used to look like that!

Oh I love these threads...I'll be back with pics!!

Lizzy

Was the centre in the middle of Aviemore?
    Experienced Sharer required - one who prefers flatwork,hacks and general lunging. PM me for more details - Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Chayla2000 View Post
    Lizzy

Was the centre in the middle of Aviemore?
    I think so - we used to go to Aviemore every year when we were young - the holiday place with the Post House and the chalets and the dry ski slope etc. I think the pony trekking was part of it, or it was very nearby. It used to be the highlight of my holiday - take off for the day on those highland ponies, through lovely scenery, up hills, through rivers, through bracken and heather, stop for a packed lunch with ponies tied up in the shade ... heaven!

I'm 10 mins from Aviemore and there were 3 centres, until about 9 years ago, there are only 2 now.

Do you still come up?
    Experienced Sharer required - one who prefers flatwork,hacks and general lunging. PM me for more details - Highlands.

Righto, pic overload now on it's way!
    This is me on a pony that some girls we knew used to bring for me to sit on. I'd guess I was about 4 or 5 in those pics, so about 1976/77.
    I thought he was Red Rum

Then we have Robin, a 12.2hh Welsh that a lady used to let me ride..no brakes but mucho fun! Check out the kipper collar and rolled up leathers!

Then my beloved Rebel, a 13.2hh Newfie. He was a naughty lad, but I loved him all the more for it! The more observant among you will notice the fashion crimes of rubber riding boots that you cut to length, chin cup, home made numnah...I'll stop there

And a couple hunting with the Grove and Rufford

Quote Originally Posted by Chayla2000 View Post
    I'm 10 mins from Aviemore and there were 3 centres, until about 9 years ago, there are only 2 now.

Do you still come up?
    No unfortunately - we did have family that lived near Inverness but they very inconveniently moved down to the Lakes, which I don't like half as much. Now that I'm grown up with kids of my own we do try to get up to Scotland for a holiday every year, we tend to go to the West coast though - OH has a thing about spending his holidays standing on a rock dangling a fishing line into the sea, no idea why!

I envy you living near Aviemore - given half a chance I'd move up there like a shot.

Alliersv - love the pics, you were so trendy! Look at the height of that jump you're doing with Robin That must be like jumping 5' on a normal horse!

The thing I like most about all these pictures is the cheesy grins!

We have a holiday buisness, so if you ever were to persuade your OH to come to Aviemore, let me know as I said we're just 10 mins away

ETA: We also have a property for sale with some land

Quote Originally Posted by xxLizzyxx View Post

Alliersv - love the pics, you were so trendy! Look at the height of that jump you're doing with Robin That must be like jumping 5' on a normal horse!

The thing I like most about all these pictures is the cheesy grins!
    Lol, thanks. Dunno about trendy though
    That is quite a big jump lol, we didn't have a single showjump, it was all tyres, cones and oil barrels lol.
    You're right about the grins though. It was all so much more fun before H&S got involved!