Thread: Ground tieing

Default Ground tieing

How do you go about teaching a horse to ground tie? It must be so handy but I have no idea how to go about it

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
    Horses are for life not just for riding

You park them (somewhere where there is no grass to tempt them), with a rope hanging from the halter to the ground. Say woah firmly. Walk away facing them (I use a hand signal like "Halt" too.) If they move, instantly put them back where they came from. Keep at it. They need the idea that when the rope hangs on the ground they stand still. Keep trying to increase the distance you can go from them, and the time you can leave them. ALWAYS put them back.

I've found this pretty successful with my two. They'll both wander if I leave them long enough, but will reliably stand still if I want to get off and move stuff around the arena, or park one while I go and get the other if I'm ride/leading, for instance. As you say, VERY useful
    Last edited by Landcruiser; 09-02-2010 at 23:03. Reason: typos

I suppose you could incorporate clicker training into it as well to reinforce?

thanks for the suggestions - guess what I'm doing at the weekend!

He does a little bit of clicker training already so I might be able to use the suggestions together?

I'm planning on trying a Trec day and one of the things is standing stationary while you walk away - initially I planned for that but now I can see many uses

i dont no how but when my mam told me about ground tying i just droped the rope and said whoa and sweep (the greediest shetland ever) just stood there in the middle of a huge grass field

Keket Guest

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Reinforce the whoa command every chance you get. While leading, under saddle... Say whoa, make them stand. If they move, gently put them back. Tell them whoa again. Repeat ad nauseum until horse gets it.

After that, it's just a matter of giving the command for ground tying. I usually drop the lead/reins, give a light tug and say "Whoa". And she stands.

Quote Originally Posted by skyenfaye View Post
    i dont no how but when my mam told me about ground tying i just droped the rope and said whoa and sweep (the greediest shetland ever) just stood there in the middle of a huge grass field
    eating?

I am currently doing "Stay" training with both horse and puppy! I am using the same method with both of them thanks to advice earlier in this thread.

Its working rather well

She never bothered eating,just stands there with the lead rope attached.

- but rather than put the rope on the ground, I put it over her neck - she knows that means stand - if she does move there is less chance of her standing on the rope and frightening herself / snapping rope or headcollar.