Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turnout for horse and rider

Default Turnout for horse and rider

This is a basic guide to horse and rider turnout for showing. I will be adding to this post. I hope it will help newbies to showing.

Rider turnout for Ridden Hunter,Intermediate show hunter type, Riding horse , Riding club horse and Show cob classes

Rider
    • Beige, cream breeches, no white jods or breeches, long black boots with straight tops and garter straps.
    • Shirt and tie and tie pin. Shirt colour should be cream or pale blue. No white shirts.
    • Tweed jacket. Without velvet collar..
    • Bowler or black hat for men, navy velvet for women ,no black hats for women.
    • Brown gloves, brown leather or malacca cane.
    • Women should wear hair in a hairnet if long enough., a small bun is very neat and tidy for long hair.
    • Spurs should be worn, but dummy spurs are acceptable. No spurs in intermediates.

Horse turnout for Ridden Hunter, Riding Horse and Show cob classes

Hunters and Intermediate Show Hunter.
    • A brown Double or pelham for open classes, snaffles for novices, although you will not see snaffles in novice class` at affiliated level. If a rugby pelham is used, then a sliphead improves the look a lot. Plain browband and noseband.
    • A brown straight cut or working hunter saddle will show off the horse's shoulders and movement, so is preferable to a GP.Discreet numnah. Leather girth,.
    • Quartermarks are allowed for hunters . The hunter should be plaited, tail pulled and banged, whiskers , facial hair , inside ears and heels trimmed.

Show Cobs.
    A brown Double or Pelham for open classes, snaffle for novices. If a rugby pelham is used, use a slip head head. Plain browband and noseband. The courser the cobs head the thicker the noseband should be.
    • A. straight cut saddle will flatter the shoulder and movement better than a GP. Leather girth the same colour as your saddle.
    • No numnah, or a discreet one that matches the saddle and shows as little as possible.
    • Quartermarks are allowed for cobs.
    • Should have hogged mane, tail pulled and banged, and feather trimmed close to the leg. Tails should be cut to about three inches below the hock at rest, or hock length when moving.

Riding Horse
    • A brown double or Pelham , snaffle for novices. An plain flat noseband and a plaited velvet, ribbon browband to complement your horses colour and your jacket and tie.
    A. straight cut saddle will flatter the shoulder and movement better than a GP. Leather girth the same colour as your saddle.
    • No numnah, or a discreet one that matches the saddle and shows as little as possible.
    • Quartermarks are allowed.
    • Riding horses should have plaited manes, tail pulled and banged, whiskers, facial hair , heels and ears trimmed.
    Last edited by spot; 07-10-2009 at 12:19.

Turnout of horse and rider for Hacks , Part bred Arab horses and Intermediate show riding type .

Rider

• Shirt , tie and tie pin.
    • Cream, beige or yellow jodhpurs or breeches (not white), long boots with straight tops and garter straps.
    • Bowler hat or black hat for men, Navy hat for women.

• Navy blue jackets for women. Tweed jackets for men.
    • Spurs are compulsory for adults, but dummy spurs are fine in hack classes. Spurs cannot be worn in Intermediates.
    • Leather gloves brown or yellow.
    • Plain leather or malacca cane to be carried.
    Horse
    • Manes are plaited, tails pulled.
    • Heels . whiskers, ears face hair is trimmed.
    • Double bridle or pelham in open classes, snaffle in novice classes.
    • Brown tack is preferred.
    • Coloured browbands made of velvet and ribbon are worn.
    • Numnahs should be discreet and matching the saddle if they are worn.
    • A straight cut saddle .Use a leather girth, or white is acceptable .
    • Quartermarks and sharks teeth are correct but differ to hunter ,cob and riding horse quarter marks.

Turnout of horse and rider in Working Hunter, Working hunter Pony and Mountain and Moorland Working Hunter

Rider
    • Brown leather, Mallaca canes or discreet whip.
    • Body protectors may be worn in the jumping phase only.
    • Spurs are not permitted in WHPor M@M WHP classes. Spurs should be worn in WH horse.
    • For WHP classes (children), beige or canary jodhpurs, brown jodhpur boots with clips. In 15hh workers, open workers (adults), the rider must wear long boots.
    • Brown,tan or fawn gloves.
    • Navy or black velvet hat ,either velvet or skull cap with velvet cover for WH. Must be of current safety standard and done up.
    • Tweed jackets. Shirt , tie and Tie pin. NO stocks.
    • Hair tied back neatly .

Horse or pony
    • A brown Double or pelham for open classes, snaffles for novices, although you will not see snaffles in novice class` at affiliated level.. Plain browband and noseband.
    • A brown working hunter or GP saddle ..Discreet numnah. Leather girth,.
    • Quartermarks are allowed for hunters . The working hunter horse or pony should be plaited, tail pulled and banged, whiskers , facial hair , inside ears and heels trimmed. The M@M working Hunter should be natural with mane and tail unplaited.
    • martigales, different nosebands and bits are accepted, but in a tie-break situation then the pony with less, or 'traditional' tack will win. i.e. - double bridle or snaffle will beat gag, if everything else is equal.
    • Plain boots may be worn in the jumping phase - apart from removing these for the ridden section, no other change of tack is permitted.
    Last edited by spot; 08-10-2009 at 14:12.

Hunter turnout, plain and workmanlike.
    Last edited by spot; 21-10-2009 at 13:46.

Hunting gear

Hunt Staff
    Hunting coat with appropriate collar and buttons (specific to each hunt)
    Black hat with ribbons down
    White shirt and stock with stock pin
    Beige/Fawn/White breeches
    Black boots
    Gloves black/brown
    Hunting whip
    Spurs (optional
    Gentlemen
    Black/navy hunting coat with white shirt and stock with stock pin
    OR tweed hacking jacket with light coloured shirt and collar and tie
    Black hat with ribbons up or skull cap with black silk
    Black boots
    Gloves black/brown
    Hunting whip
    Spurs (optional)
    Back protector worn inside or outside the jacket (optional)
    Hairnet (if applicable)
    Ladies
    Black hat with ribbons up or skull cap with black silk
    Black boots
    Gloves black/brown
    Hunting whip
    Spurs (optional)
    Back protector worn inside or outside the jacket (optional)
    Hairnet (if applicable)
    Children (Under 18)
    Beige/Fawn/Cream/Yellow breeches
    Pony club approved skull cap with black silk
    Black boots or jodhpur boots
    Gloves black/brown
    Hunting whip
    Back protector worn inside or outside the jacket
    Hairnet (if applicable)
    Military Personnel
    Should ride in their own uniform
    Horses
    Manes should be neatly plaited or hogged
    Tails should be pulled or plaited up
    Novice horse should wear a green ribbon
    Horses that kick should wear a red ribbon and stay at the back of the field at all times
    Tack
    Tack should be clean and correctly fitting
    Tack should be black or brown
    All numnahs/browbands/boots/bandages should be black or brown

so when i go top my first hunt meet in my tweed show jacket, i just wear my shirt and tie|? not a stock?
    FOR SALE - 15hh piebald cob gelding. stunning young man and reasonably priced.
    pm for details

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    so when i go top my first hunt meet in my tweed show jacket, i just wear my shirt and tie|? not a stock?
    shirt and tie is correct down here, but stocks can offer more neck support, and so generally hunts wont mind either way. you can always ring and ask if you are worried, but especially your first meet they wotn midn what they do as long as you are presentable.

Can someone do an inhand for horses that aren't yongsters? Pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by cinammontoast View Post
    Can someone do an inhand for horses that aren't yongsters? Pretty please?
    including natives pleaseee?

Adult Horses should wear there ridden bridle with pelham or double with the reins taken over the head.
    Like this

The handler should wear tweed jacket with shirt and tie, gloves, navy velvet riding hat smart trousers (dark for light legs, light for dark legs) and smart shoes that you can run in.

This is dad's turnout but women's is pretty much the same and you can wear a riding hat.

Brown bridle? Why a pelham-don't have one! Would a snaffle be OK?