Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turnout for horse and rider

If you have a M&M pony but are doing local level WH class which doesn't have a M&M WH category can you still turn out as natural?

Molly is Welsh D (unreg but looks very Welsh D) and I am tempted to try some WH next year at very local level only- but I will not tamper with her mane and tail etc for it.

It has taken me ages to get it to grow (she was pulled, banged etc when I bought her) so I won't change it for the chance to compete in the odd class. We'll stick to dressage and XC if that's the case

Thats fine at local if they don't have a specific class for M+M's then they normally allow them in the normal WH. Just check the schedule though that it it doesn't have age limits for the heights as they tend to be classes meant for just the plaited WHP's

Quote Originally Posted by Friesian80 View Post
    And one for showing un backed youngsters also pweez
    What breed is the youngster?

Should have mentioned it's not affiliated-just a local show.

At local level, as long as you are smart, clean and have obviously gone to some effort (eg not turned up in trainers and a t shirt, it does happen) then you will be fine. Local judges usually understand that the people who attend their shows probably only go to 1 or 2 shows a year and won't want to spend a fortune on the correct gear. However, wearing the right stuff will ALWAYS impress a judge and make them take you seriously (not that they don't take others seriously, but if I see a correctly dressed rider come into the ring I immediately just give them an extra tick in the box as showing is all about the overall impression (although if they were riding the scabbiest horse then I would think again, obviously!)).

It doesn't have to cost a fortune to look completely correct. Just the right knowledge (ie NO STOCK!, no martingales in ridden classes etc etc) and some bargain hunting will get you looking great. As people have suggested, buy a cheap white shirt and some dusters - throw in the washing machine and hey presto! You have a showing shirt which looks MUCH BETTER than a white one. Go into a charity shop or a cheap retailer and buy a nice tie that goes with your shirt and jacket - a different tie draws the judges eye to you, as long as it isnt too outrageous, and it looks like you've put some thought into it. Don't buy white breeches, buy a lemon or canary pair - it just makes you look so much smarter, but if you only have very light breeches, don't worry - as long as they are clean and not black then you are correct!

To put it simply - black jackets are not correct for showing. They are acceptable for very local shows at a push but they just are not correct and some judges might comment on them. Tweeds can be quite cheap if you look for sales and on ebay, and if you have to buy a cheap blue tweed then just do it because a blue tweed jacket is always going to look better than a black jacket (although green tweed is the best and you can use it for every different discipline).

A snaffle at local level will be ok. I'd rather see a horse going well in a snaffle than badly in a pelham simply for the sake of correct turnout. However for shpwing it IS better to have them going in a pelham (which can be very mild), but if it's only a local show it's fine.

I've also seen hunters at HOYS whose riders have a velvet collar - don't worry about it, I like them!

Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeParamour View Post
    Just wondered, would it still be brown tack for a black horse?

Thanks for doing this btw!
    Most definitely imo! I have a jet black pony and i wouldnt put him in anything but brown

Quote Originally Posted by theebeegeebee View Post
    Almost makes it a bit difficult for those without a huge budget to join in, I know I couldn't afford a different hat, jacket, jods etc for all the different classes I could do. i'm going to look through the photos from our last years local shows and see what everyone was wearing. I wore black jacket and stock for an inhand class because that was all I had, we were still placed!
    Crikey, not at all! My wage is pitiful and i still manage to get out in the correct gear. Ebay is your friend
    A tweed is the most useful bit of 'kit' for any competitor really
    Native pony addict!

Default Do we like?

Oops, need to put pic on photobucket to show it!

I would just like to add the following as it is a MASSIVE pet hate of mine.

If you have gone to the huge effort of cleaning horse, tack, yourself and getting all your fancy gear on; please do not ruin the image by using that god awful plastic number string to attach your number!! Use thick thread the same colour as your jacket or a thin piece of discreet elastic. And don't do great galumphing loops with the thread. Make a small loop at both ends of it, loop one end this over your button, pass the other end round your waist, through the button hole, around the button and then fasten your jacket.

Easy peasy and looks sooooo much smarter.
    http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic96_2.gif

what about treeless saddles for ridden showing - its my only brown saddle
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rubysmum View Post
    what about treeless saddles for ridden showing - its my only brown saddle
    Depends on the level of showing and exactly what the saddle looks like - I know of a couple of people who get away with it at local level (when there isn't a ride judge) because the horse goes very well in it. Some judges hate them though.