Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tales of a horsebox conversion...

Wow - nice job - what a good thread!

wow thats really good

is it a 3 horse lorry? is it just the same dimensions as a normal horse lorry?

you've done an amazing job!

Quote Originally Posted by Stassy View Post
    Well your OH has done a grand job and its looking good but I couldn't put up with the hassle. How much has all that set you back?
    *cough*...erm... Put it this way, I think we could have bought a slightly older ready to go hosstaxi for the same, if not less

Quote Originally Posted by Titch_ View Post
    WOW you should paint it pink!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc.. View Post
    Wow it looks fab, are you planning on getting it painted or anything? I'm sure it's the last thing on your mind ATM though! You've both done a fab job it looks excellent!
    I really fancy a nice dark blue, but OH doesn't. Apparently red is unlucky (really? and dirty white isn't?!), and green is again a no-no for OH. So I could suggest pink - wouldn't lose it in the lorry park!!

Plus I would lose a groom as OH would be too busy up a ladder t-cutting out tree scratches and lovingly polishing the ramp *sigh* I wouldn't be allowed to tie the horses up to it in case they sneeze over it

Quote Originally Posted by shian89 View Post
    wow thats really good

is it a 3 horse lorry? is it just the same dimensions as a normal horse lorry?

you've done an amazing job!
    Technically I can get three rather large gee-gee's on it. However, weight wise there is no way it'd be legal although OH has pointed out that the air suspension would hide the excess weight so at least we wouldn't get pulled over for it being obviously overweight

It is the same size as your average non-compact 7.5t, although ours has 9" more of head height...which is great until you realise that the sticker inside the cab is 12" out on height and not in your favour either
    Last edited by Elly Koopman; 06-03-2010 at 18:22.
    Visit Mico

Lorry came back a couple of days ago from the lorry hospital, and seemed to be all okay - Oh reckoned it drove like a dream all the way

Even better since the garage didn't charge us for the total amount of work they have done which was a bonus.

Apart from the fact that OH went to take it out for a run this morning and didn't even get as far as the barn doors before it spectacularly conked out...

So back in it goes *sigh*

Worked out how many hire's of ponymobiles I could've done for the amount of money I have spent on this dratted thing and it's really rather depressing
    Visit Mico

any updated pics?
    Official PRESIDENT of the TO 'Blue Peter Badge Owners' Clique

Wow you have gone one step futher and done most the work yourselves, well done.

I would like to see some updated pics if you have some too

I want to buy a 3.5tonne conversion in the future. I had considered buying the lorry (well, van in my case) and having it converted but I think, having read through this, I will save up a bit longer and buy one ready converted It looks stressful!!

How lovely that your OH is so handy with the DIY. Gonna show my OH this later.. he's useless, took him about 4 hours to put together an ikea bookcase for me
    What would I do without you, my loyal and precious friend?
    Part mischief, but all blessing, and faithful to the end.

Wow, you guys have some skills!!
    "The past is only the future with the lights on" - +44

Default Perc

Just about to start a conversion and wondered if you could help? Did you strengthen the walls in the hose area with any steel frames? What fixings did you use to secure the walls as our lorry body walls are not quite an inch thick? Don't really want pins showing on the outside??? Sorry for all questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly Koopman View Post
    Well, OH has been a very busy boy indeed and here are a couple of pics to show the progress

Sunday (30th August -1PM)

Approx. 7PM

8.30PM - As you can see we were working by candlelight...

Monday (31st August) - 1PM

7PM