Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nervous Nellies Corner

I'll change the forum title to mature and nervous riders and you can start that thread in there, I'll make it a sticky thread once it's posted if that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    I would like to join the NN group too. Although Edward is a fantastic boy (& very safe) I am a mature/novice rider having gone back to riding after pretty much 30 year gap I have owned him for almost 5 months.

I still do not hack out alone unless it's just up the road to my riding lesson every week or two. I just over anticipate the unexpected and really do hope that feeling wears off soon.......

However, I feel very relaxed on him hacking out with groups, really enjoy my lessons and we did a first dressage test a month ago. So not NN all of the time - it's just the riding alone thing
    This is exactly me!!! and like you i've owned mine for 5 months now too, it's funny because when i first had him i just hopped on and off i went, i took him up the moors on my own and we'd be gone hours sometimes, then one day he just didn't want to go past this garden and turned round in the road to try n head for home, it took me totally unexepected and really unerved me because i thought if a car had been coming it could have been nasty and being totally unlike him it made me realise that i actually didn't know him like i thought i did and if he could do that what else could/would he do!!

After much trying to get him past (he has done this since and i am firmer now n he will eventually go past with lots of encouragement) he just kept refusing, just wouldnt go forward (i make him now) so i got off,,walked him past it, talked to him for a bit then hopped back on but i felt so upset and disappointed!

After that day he changed into such a nervous nellie and because of this i don't ride him out on my own anymore (if there was no cars around i would) but i do put him up front out on rides and push him through it and i also walk him out in hand a lot, a few times i've tacked him up and walked him out then rode him back which works well,,he is definately getting better but i would love to know why he suddenly went so nervous! maybe it was me and i was giving off signals that i wasnt aware of but my friend rode him who isnt bothered by anything n he was the same with her.

He is not naughty or dangerous just generally nervous but i'm getting more used to it now and encourage him lots but do make sure half way through the ride i put him up front so he has to think for himself again!

Such a shame and its horrible to think he wasnt like that when i first had him which makes me feel guilty but peeps from the yard have reassured me that it's just him coming out of the honeymoon period and a lot of horses do this after a while but i'm still

All i can do is keep doing what i'm doing as apart from this he really is so laid back and very good (monique can vouch ) i can do anything with him on the ground, he never hots up on rides, never bucks, rears,he stops when i want him to, lovely natured but he just needs to 'man up'!!!!

Done, you can start the thread now

I'll change the title of this thread and sticky it so it will be "the Nervous Nellies Corner" is that ok for you?
    Just because you're not paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out to get you

im young and nervous- i am such a wimp- silly really when the onyl naughty thing cloud has done is bronc off round the chool in full wind, i season and supplement had rn out, and with a very scary sheepskin monster on her tummy!!
    I am so lucky- have been to pc camp- survived due to my genorous, honest pony- felt like throwing up first day and comp day but cloud took me round!! i cant believe i actually did cross country!!
    my problem is, after a few nasty hacking expeiriences not on cloud- eg being thrown off backwards from canter, and being bolted with and chucked off twice, i am a really nervous hacker! cloud can get strong on hacks- but no tanking, or anything, just leans on hands and has never been naughty, but when it comes to cantering i get so nervous!! idont have a reason anymore- clouds so honest, and not spooky or excitable, i cant help it! however, i am conquering it gradually, going for lots of walk trot hacks!

i am also i rubbish jumper- get scared, tip forward fall off!!!! oh well- i am doing lots of little jumps to build up confidence- again so lucky to have cloud- doesnt over jump, back off, tank off etc. still, i feel proud that me and my instrutor took her from a pony in the wrong bit, no schooling, muscle wasted and couldnt canter without falling over pratically, to a safe pc pony- hopefully onwards and upwards!

Hold the NN bus, I need to get on too, squish up Rubys Mum and Mr Ed so I can sit with me mates My turn to bring the cake

I'm enjoying cantering on hacks with others now and ride a speedy arab mare in my weekly lesson in the field. Confidance is best ever so far but I'm frightened I'll lose it. Not gone foetal for ages, cantered no stirrups, even sat a few bucks last week and my fave bit of a hack now is the canter! Unbelievable from the knots in tum had a few months back.

I am still scared though to hack alone, we have done a few totally alone but need to get more ballsy to grab all those bonus times we could share if could do it alone. Aside from I am just lousy at gates!! Plus if it's windy and he's tense....

Rubysmum - your strapping lovely lass is just a bit bigger than Duke, can you reach to do gates or am I just a numpty? I'm about out the saddle over the bridle paths here

One of the original Nervous Nellis from MR (me!) has made a big step forward today. I haven't ridden since July 2008 - I had a riding accident in May 08 and didn't know til some months later that the flexor and extensor tendons in my right hand had been severed and have had three operations including a tendon graft BUT today still with my splint on I had a little walk around on Harvey (LauraandHarvey) and despite the run in with some teenagers on the drive home I am still grinning from ear to ear.

I confess my knees were shaking as I clambered on, but he was an absolute saint and I felt as safe as houses. The fact that I couldn't get my leg over to get off was irrelevant I looked a right prat but I don't really care!

It was a giant leap for me, as I have worried that I had lost the "need" to ride, I haven't and I think I want it now more than ever.

So Mr KadyA has given me the goahead to start looking around for another horse - as my lovely old girl Stel is retired.

Its scary but dead exciting.

Thank you so much Laura and Harvey for today - you are both fab and I love you both to bits! xxx

Thanks hubby for putting up with your 45 year old whinging NN wife xxx

Quote Originally Posted by KadyA View Post
    One of the original Nervous Nellis from MR (me!) has made a big step forward today. I haven't ridden since July 2008 - I had a riding accident in May 08 and didn't know til some months later that the flexor and extensor tendons in my right hand had been severed and have had three operations including a tendon graft BUT today still with my splint on I had a little walk around on Harvey (LauraandHarvey) and despite the run in with some teenagers on the drive home I am still grinning from ear to ear.

I confess my knees were shaking as I clambered on, but he was an absolute saint and I felt as safe as houses. The fact that I couldn't get my leg over to get off was irrelevant I looked a right prat but I don't really care!

It was a giant leap for me, as I have worried that I had lost the "need" to ride, I haven't and I think I want it now more than ever.

So Mr KadyA has given me the goahead to start looking around for another horse - as my lovely old girl Stel is retired.

Its scary but dead exciting.

Thank you so much Laura and Harvey for today - you are both fab and I love you both to bits! xxx

Thanks hubby for putting up with your 45 year old whinging NN wife xxx
    not a problem!
    come over for a hack ANY time
    & yay for a new poniee
    don't get one as wide as Harvey
    i love stella wella lots

Official PRESIDENT of the TO 'Blue Peter Badge Owners' Clique

Unhappy

Ello!

Well, might as well make myself at home here LOL! Was a NR NN too and did a thread about losing my mojo and should i go back to basics

I was due to have a lesson which went ok, i spoke to my RI and just felt like i was going round in circles. Basically as she didn't actually teach me to ride, was another RI who has since left, she just discounted the fact that i rode all the bigger horses and since she's been teaching me, about 1 year and my bad fall last December...i'm now 'overhorsed' So as we know, ponies tend to go pretty fast, add that to my confidence issue and i'm pretty much riding the same 14.2 safe cob every lesson.

Don't get me wrong, i love him and he's an incredible pony. But he's already getting too much work and i really wanted to ride some of the others. THe convo with RI last week was something like 'i'd like to try and ride so and so cos i used to ride them'...'but until you get your confidence back you can only ride him or her'...but i used to ride them and felt confident on them'....'it's dark, they're more flighty and until you're more confident on him, you can't ride them...you can ride some of the other ponies if you like? If i was teaching you from scratch, or you were coming back into riding, i would never have put you on horses in the first place'

I'm an adult who never rode properly as a kid therefore my experience of speedy ponies is limited. Horses are bigger, yeeessss, but they tend to (not always of course but usually) be steadier, especially in canter, when i tense up. Losing battle anyone?

Howeeeeeeeeeever, i have met a lady who says i can share her 5 year old gorgeous dun 14hh Highland gelding...he's fab. I rode him yesterday. Thing is, i'm skint as job is ending. Plus, while he's an armchair to walk, he's very choppy in trot and she really wants an adult to help school him and teach him as he TANKS OFF IN CANTER!!!! Oh dear. Such an opportunity and i cannot believe i have this option and she's willing to support me and help me but i fear i'll make him worse with my nerves.

On the other hand (see, me being positive is actually seeing another hand!) it could be that the one-to-one teaching and riding of one pony is what i need right now?

It's certainly making me feel more positive for tomorrow night's lesson, i really hope i can take the good vibes from yesterday and apply them tomorrow night cos i really really would lurve this share! Am seeing the lady on Thursday evening again to help with the horses so will see what she says.

Wish me luck...*runs off to check Rescue Remedy hasn't run out!*

ETA: Kady A you look sooo happy on Harvey...he's such a star and well done, look forward to hearing updates on new ponios!

Quote Originally Posted by moodymare1973 View Post
    This is exactly me!!! and like you i've owned mine for 5 months now too, it's funny because when i first had him i just hopped on and off i went,

Such a shame and its horrible to think he wasnt like that when i first had him which makes me feel guilty but peeps from the yard have reassured me that it's just him coming out of the honeymoon period and a lot of horses do this after a while but i'm still

This I can empathise with completely...I have owned my boy for 6 months and we were fine for the first 4 months, I was a bit nervous first couple of times I rode him as I'd just sold a very nappy mare who reared and bucked but then I realised what a good boy he was and we were fine. I was having weekly lessons, I started jumping and was so happy riding him. Then a couple of very minor incidents at the end of August and my confidence hit rock bottom.

I started taking rescue remedy to help with my nerves but that horrible feeling that wells up in your stomach just kept getting the better of me. So I wouldn't ride for days or weeks...then of course the nerves are worse than ever because of the gap.

Well, I had a lesson on Sunday the 1st 1 for about 2 months and I felt so much more confident. I'm going to try and fit 1 in every week now and start doing little hacks but the time of year doesn't help with the dark evenings and that horrible wind I've ordered a body protector in the hope that'll help my confidence also