Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Nervous Nellies Corner

I am another NN. I have a safe but speedy cob. She has given me back my confidence after taking on an ex racer who needed more than I could offer. Sox hasn't got a nasty bone in her body but does go fast as she has been whizzed around by teens before I bought her. My confidence is returning but as always is fragile.

May I join? I screamed the other day when my horse motorbiked in canter.

Sox is a motorbiker too.

why has she been banned??
    Official PRESIDENT of the TO 'Blue Peter Badge Owners' Clique

Oldish thread but here I go any way...

I am a nervous nelly. I had a cob who was lovely but who, once in a while would decide he'd had enough and ****** off with me til he could buck me off. It left me feeling a distinct lack of control and lack of ability. I got lessons to improve my seat but it made no difference, next time he had a mind to, he got me off again. I found him a new home.

I ride because my partner rides. I want to participate in her lifelong passion and enjoy the thing which she enjoys most with her. When I was a nipper I used to ride too but had never been a great rider and left it behind when I grew up, mostly through lack of opportunity and cash. I enjoy spending time with horses and taking care of them more than I ever enjoyed riding.

I bought a beautiful Fell pony mare as a confidence giver. She was mostly used as a driving pony by her previous owner but after having an accident she became unsuitable to drive. She was to be PTS but was rescued by the lady I bought her from who said she would find her a new home rather than them having to pay for her to be PTS. I felt she was ideal for me since she isn't in a position to ****** off with me even if she wanted to. That is not to mention her sweet and adorable, trusting and kind temperament so I bought her.

I have only ridden her three times since I got her in January and all three times I was scared half to death. She hasn't put a foot wrong but the fear response is incredible and I haven't managed to work through it. I've been making every excuse I can muster to not ride. What on earth can I do?

I'm also a nervous nelly. As I came off a horse 3 times in one hack and then got kicked by the other horse as I landed on the hard floor. So to get my confidence back I decided to have lots of private lessons and go back out hacking with a friend and to say I am alot better out hacking than I used to be, but I still get nervous and wonder what the hell my horse or the horse in front is going to do. How do I get my confidence back hacking and relax and not get so nervous?

Doh. I thought I was doing okay, big spook the other week reminded me I'm not Almost came off.

I'll get on anything in an indoor school. Absolutely anything. I hate being outdoors and I hate hate hate hacking atm. My mind is just so full of what if's!

PL52 your not alone. I'm the same I will get on anything in a lesson and think if I fall off it doesn't matter, but when it comes to hacking out I am a nervous wreck as i'm worried about what if something happens that I can't cope with.

I have had a bit of a relapse and am back to Nervous Nellyville for a bit . It seems one fear has been entirely reversed and now I feel ill at the thought of jumping in a school . Riding around a field at walk used to be a challenge but now I'm feeling so claustrophobic in a school . I feel quite happy and at ease dealing with spooks and spins, naps and the odd running-off session now which is all great and a long way from where I used to be but now I'm not happy even going over a trot in the school . Out in the fields I'm happy as a clown and don't mind doing fast work, jumping etc, but put up the teensiest cross pole in the school and I go to bits - I have put up a small jump in the school then not ended up trying to jump it about four or five times . I don't know whether it's because I feel I have no space to apply my brakes, I've only really jumped Toby in a field before where we had plenty of room etc, but I just cannot being myself to jump in an enclosed space anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by katieandtoby View Post
    I have had a bit of a relapse and am back to Nervous Nellyville for a bit . It seems one fear has been entirely reversed and now I feel ill at the thought of jumping in a school . Riding around a field at walk used to be a challenge but now I'm feeling so claustrophobic in a school . I feel quite happy and at ease dealing with spooks and spins, naps and the odd running-off session now which is all great and a long way from where I used to be but now I'm not happy even going over a trot in the school . Out in the fields I'm happy as a clown and don't mind doing fast work, jumping etc, but put up the teensiest cross pole in the school and I go to bits - I have put up a small jump in the school then not ended up trying to jump it about four or five times . I don't know whether it's because I feel I have no space to apply my brakes, I've only really jumped Toby in a field before where we had plenty of room etc, but I just cannot being myself to jump in an enclosed space anymore .

Oh yeah, I can't jump either. I saw a jump in the outdoor school the other day and almost had a heart attack! I just think that I'm going to fall off and get slammed into a wall, get brain damaged and spend my whole life dribbling on people.