Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turnout for Native Ponies - ridden & In-hand - not finished yet!!

Default Turnout for Native Ponies - ridden & In-hand - not finished yet!!

Ponies

• Ponies should be spotless, really, really spotless! Manes and tails thoroughly washed and detangled so you can run your fingers through easily. They should feel like silk. NEVER EVER EVER put plaits in the mane or tail to make them look crinkly. This looks dreadful and apparently a wavy mane is a sign of poor breeding (old wives tail probably but who am I to argue!)
    • With regards to trimming, adhere to the breed standard (check society websites for guidance). Some discreet triming and tidying up is fine as long as it looks natural and it is done to enhance features/disguise faults etc.
    • Just beacause they are natives doesn't mean it's OK for them to have feet that haven't been trimmed for weeks/months (pet hate of mine). Feet, whether shod or not should be neat and tidy

Tack - Ridden

• A well fitting saddle, in leather, preferaby a WH or straight cut to show off the shoulder. Dark brown is traditional but doesn't always suit
    • Bridles should be flattering to the head, what would suit my Highland would not suit a Sec A so play up your pony's features! Some natives suit very wide, flat nosebands, others suit dainty, raised nosebands. Don't forget about the width of the cheek pieces and browband too! Absolutely NEVER EVER EVER a coloured brownband. Snaffles for novices, pelham/double for open ponies. In-hand either a suitable in-hand bridle or a double is fine. It is traditional for youngstock/broodmares to wear white rope or webbing halters - again so with what suits your pony best and what you have most control in! NEVER EVER EVER use a snaffle bridle and clip a lead rein on, just wrong wrong wrong.

More to follow.......

ok rate my pony then! :P (honestly please, i need improvement tips lol!)

Hi sallyloofa, your pony looks very good! The only thing i would say is her mane is on the wrong side and your turnout is not correct. You would look better with a pair of dark coloured trousers on instead of jods (not black) perhaps navy and a Tweed jacket with a tartan tie. I think being a shetty you could get away with wearing a tartan skirt and tweed jacket but you would need to replace the riding hat with something more suitable. I hope this helps

cool thanks i agree with it all apart from i thought manes were supposed to be on the right, which hers is?? (look closely, its there! )

Sorry! i am getting on! I had to look really close to the computer screen! I see the mane now! Pony ALL CORRECT then!

haha thanks lol well you made my day then as you couldn't see it because it was so clean!!

so for my sec a with a dinky little head- would a raised, or flat but not thick noseband be more correct??

Quote Originally Posted by cloudandmatrix View Post
    so for my sec a with a dinky little head- would a raised, or flat but not thick noseband be more correct??
    what age sex is you sec A?
    I hope you can see this pic. This was our 2yr old sec B colt,Barkway Playmate. He had a very pretty pettite head so was shown in a raised leather noseband
    , without stitching, just plain rather than a flat wide noseband.
    Rocky is a yearling sec A gelding and is shown in a white halter.

Tinks is a 12 yr old sec A mare and is quite course looking so we went for a plain flat noseband.

i presume by natives you are not meaning traditionals?
    FOR SALE - 15hh piebald cob gelding. stunning young man and reasonably priced.
    pm for details

don`t think so I think it means M@M`s, could you do a section on traditionals turnout stormtrooper?