Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stallion - Catherston Humbug??

Default Stallion - Catherston Humbug??

Hey all

Trying to find some information on the sire "Catherston Humbug". He was born in 1990, and seemed to be relatively prolific in the dressage world?
    Friend has been given the chance to buy a 5yr old by him .... however the owners said Catherston Humbug was an eventing stallion, top eventer, shortlisted for Olympics etc.
    Anyone got any info? Or remembers him? Only found one site online mentioning him, but seems to suggest dressage
    Friend loves the horse, but if this info doesn't match up then she's wondering if the owners are decieving in other areas also.

Thank you
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

Well Catherstone is the name of Jenni Loriston Clarke so mainly dressage horses. He seems to be just dressage although I did find him mentioned in her book about a cross country schooling day http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=J...HUMBUG&f=false
    no-one died of a fast trot
    A member of the Secret Sausage Society

Hes not been registered with BE (unless under a different name), and is registered with the FEI -

http://search.fei.org/Search_Centre/...7FC7409668065D

But just for dressage, not eventing, and I cant seem to find any results

ETA - i've done a little bit of research for you hun, could they have the name of the horse wrong???

5 Catherston horses have been registered with the FEI for eventing purposes, two have no results (Gold Sword and Dipper), Salarian had a 1* run in 2009, Nutsafe has competed at 2* throughout 2008 and 2009, and Defender has competed regularly since 2004, up to 3 and 4* level, and is ridden by an Italian, Alberto Giugni.

I reckon shes talking about Catherston Defender, would prob have had an olympic shot for Italy as hes regularly going 3* and did Pau 4*. So shes either got the wrong sire, or was just talking about a relative??!
    Last edited by Taylor; 11-03-2010 at 13:08.

I believed Catherston to be an eventing stud? http://www.britisheventing.com/searc...&gosearch.y=18

Maybe the owners got "Humbug" mixed up with a different stallion? catherston Defender and Dazzler seem to be quite popular?

Taadaa i found more, I am a relative mine of information today

Date of Birth:
    Colour:
    Brown
    Breeding:
    Liboi x Voltaire
    Height:
    16.2 hh
    168 cms
    Studbook:
    BWBS
    Grade:
    Grade 1

Catherston Humbug is a very good looking horse with a lovely head well set on to a good neck and well laid shoulder. He has an excellent hind leg with well let down hocks and short cannon bones. He is a beautiful mover with active hind leg action showing power and elasticity in his paces. He also shows a wonderful technique and looks to have a great future in any discipline

Delivery Methods : Chilled and Frozen
    Stud Fee : UK£450

Performance
    Winner - Stoneways Potential Competition Horse in 1993& 1994.
    Winner - Supreme Stallion and Champion Potential Horse.
    Winner - Young Competition Horse at RIHS and 1st at Hickstead
    3rd - Magnolia Championships and Winter Novice Dressage in 1994.
    Won or placed in nearly every competition entered at levels up to and including Intermediare 1.
    3rd - Magnolia Championships and Winter Novice Dressage in 1994.
    Competed at Rotterdam CHIO at Prix St George & Intermediare 1 scoring over 60%
    Winner of Prix St George Wellington, Norton and Talland
    Winner of Intermediare I at Wellington and Norton, 2nd at Talland.
    2nd Intermediare I National Championship.
    3rd Prix St George National Championship.
    Placed 3rd - 7th at International level.

Breeding Profile

Liboi is at present one of only two Thoroughbred Stallions to be graded in the British Warmblood Stud Book and Catherston Humbug is the first of his stock to come forward for grading. Liboi is the sire of many winners on the flat, show jumping, dressage, eventing and in the show ring.

Catherston Doodlebug is a winner at the Royal Show, Bath & West, Devon County etc and is a full sister to the graded stallion Catherston Dam Buster as well as being half sister to Modesty and Vol de Nuit who are dams of many winners: Dutch Night; Tupelo Grade A show jumper £2293; Dutch Model; Dynasty; Disco Night; Moth; Night Gold; Dark Night etc.
    Catherston Humbughas truly proved his versatility. He has been trained over X Country
    jumps, has show jumped competitively and was broken to harness in 3 days. After 7 days he performed his first FEI Advanced Horse Trials Driving Test. Catherston Humbug has now 69 points.

The above was posted on another forum, although if hes reg'd for trials driving with the FEI im not sure why nothing comes up on the FEI website under results but just mentions XC schooling, def not evented. I still think they may have been talking about Defender

His sire Liboi is also the grandsire of Georgie Spence's Running Brook

Thank you all so much
    Will send this to my friend.

Knew you Trot online Sherlocks would be able to help

Cake and to all
    Last edited by CER; 12-03-2010 at 16:47.
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

[QUOTE=wibble;235600]Well Catherstone is the name of Jenni Loriston Clarke so mainly dressage horses.QUOTE]

she dressages and events her horses doesnt she? high leve eventsl?
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Humbug was lovely!

havent read all the posts but ive found some pics of him if interested?
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

I think I have a book by Jenny L/C somewhere