Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: waah my body won't respond like it did 23 years ago!!!!!!!!!!

I did rising trot without stirrups for the first time ever. There is a rather ungaily video of me attempting, collapsing, attempting again and wailing *I'M GOING TO BE INFERTILE* the whole way round!

I get a bad back anyway at the grand old age of... 23 I found a back support really helped with it and its a fab position cheat too!

Quote Originally Posted by palmerlover52 View Post
    I did rising trot without stirrups for the first time ever. There is a rather ungaily video of me attempting, collapsing, attempting again and wailing *I'M GOING TO BE INFERTILE* the whole way round!
    Erm... do we get to see it??

LOL! I remember that feeling so well - I had the very same conversation with my RI shortly after I returned to riding (without mention of the froofroo, as he's a young man and I didn't want to traumatise him!)

After my first lesson following a 30 year break (yes, I'm even older than 42) I was walking like a cowboy for a week - I mean so bad that I was getting out of the car on a morning and not knowing how the hell I was going to do the walk to work. I was literally hobbling along. Didn't help that they put me on the widest pony in the world!

Anyway, I kept going back for more - must need my head examining. Yes, it does get better - and not only that but now when the RI tells me to put pressure on with my inside leg, if I concentrate really hard I can actually feel a twitch of response from said leg! Not sure the horse can tell yet, but maybe after another couple of years we might get there ...

I'm a mature novice too. I returned to riding in Jan 09 after a 30 year break. I started with weekly private lessons, which were murder; back ache, groin strain (walked like J Wayne for days each time) and really struggled to get my body to follow instructions

I bought Edward at the end of April and was thrown in to regular riding (4-5 times a week), poo-picking, grooming etc. I no longer ache, feel fitter and as an added bonus, I've lost about 8/9 lbs in weight I don't think my riding skills will ever improve greatly so have no real ambitions, but as my confidence increases I just hope to have more and more fun

Good luck NO - it will get easier!

i've only had 5 weeks off riding and feel like that
    def gets easier

That RI who hurt you by putting your leg in place was way out of order. It happened to me too, long ago.
    No rider has a perfect body, my RI says and no horse either. First rule is that you don't have to look like a picture in a book -
    Secondly, don't let any RI do anything that might hurt you (or might hurt the next day). I f you do find an exercise hurts, just avoid it in future.

I agree that riding two or three times a week loosens you up. You're likely to be more sensitive to the horse and the horse to you, which cuts down the physical effort as well. But as I haven't been riding following an op, and have breaks while on holiday, I don't regard it as the end of the world if I cant.

Is it going to get better?, you ask
    Not if you or your RI continue to stress yourself and your body in the way you describe.
    Riding is something that can be done with an aging body and should be therapeutic - So over the years, yes the "betterness" will be clear. Riding improves our balance, flexibility, general health.

Quote Originally Posted by Skib View Post
    That RI who hurt you by putting your leg in place was way out of order. It happened to me too, long ago.
    No rider has a perfect body, my RI says and no horse either. First rule is that you don't have to look like a picture in a book -
    Secondly, don't let any RI do anything that might hurt you (or might hurt the next day). I f you do find an exercise hurts, just avoid it in future.
    Really? I found it helped me get an idea of what I was really aiming for. My leg was forward because I grip with my knees and my hip was tense....it's physically impossible for my to get my leg that far back while I'm tense!

Joosie- Is the Pope Catholic? Yes, he is, but you're still not seeing it

Quote Originally Posted by Skib View Post
    First rule is that you don't have to look like a picture in a book -
    I am so glad you said that Skib!! I have been looking at far too many pictures in books and it is quite disheartening when you can't seem to get your body into that perfect position.

One thing I have found really helpful for the aches and pains......high strength cod liver oil tablets (1g). When I used to get off after a lesson or long hack, my knees ankles and back were really stiff and painful. I've been taking the capsules since xmas and to my total surprise, no aches and pains!!! But I would say it does get easier, when your limbs/joints get used to the exercise. Keep going!!

My instructor pulled my leg outwards to flex my hip and put my leg in the right position and as she pulled it outwards towards her I nearly fell of the other side .. most embarrassing .. but afterwards it felt wonderful!