Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man coming out to read meter - e-on..........rant!

Default Man coming out to read meter - e-on..........rant!

My mum's meter reading is done by e-on. She reads the meter and has already paid the bill online. A man came today to read the meter. My mum said it has already been paid and that there is no need for him to read the meter. The man got quite rude and said by law he has right to come in and read the meter. Mum repeated herself. He came in and read it anyway. This has happened twice now.

Mum rang the company, they said she can stop him coming in. Mum said she couldnt as he got quite forceful and they said she could. The didnt do anything about it, they didnt really care. Why do they do this, they dont listen, they didnt take her name or address. It is pointless sending this man out.

But more to the point, the man said he can come in, the company said he doesnt have to and we can say no????

If he won't leave when asked, surely it's trespassing? I don't know, I haven't studied civil law much.

I'd write a written complaint, it's always better to have it in words and have a proof you have complained. They still have to do it though, I don't understand why your mum didn't want it? We used to do it, turned out Dad read the meter wrong and we got something like 120 quid back.

Regardless of whether the bill has been paid, they will still need to do ameter reading, bills are paid on guestimated useage readings, she may find that she has over paid and get a refund, we do, every 3 months we about Ł100 back.

He cannot force his way in but it does need to be done at some point
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

I have a serious dislike of letting strangers into my house without my OH there. I am incredibly cautious about opening the door to anyone I don't know when I'm by myself.
    If the company won't stop sending him, then your mum should be able to stick up her meter readings in the window for him. The company we have usually come out while we're at work anyway, and they ask that we just leave a note stuck up in the window with the readings on.

I was under the impression that you could refuse entry to ANYONE, unless it's the police and they've got a warrant?
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

he is in the wrong. the company DO have to be able to come at some point to read the meter, but he cannot demand to be let in if it isnt convenient!

i once rang the police when the same happened to me with a hydro electric guy at my door

apparently they work on commission and get paid more for each reading they do

BW -that makes sense. I agree with Sez, even the police need a warrant!

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I was under the impression that you could refuse entry to ANYONE, unless it's the police and they've got a warrant?
    Yes. The only people who legally have the right to enter your house are the police with a warrant (and I think theres a loophole about bailifs).

Can only second what people have said, it will be in your mums benefit to have this kind of reading done, but she can refuse the man entry if she likes.
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

i rang the police- shouted to the guy through the door that i had... he was saying he was able to force his way in!!!!

then i rang HE and told them id rung the police......

funnily enough a manager from HE rang me back about 10 mins later to apologise profusely and ask if i was ok and get details of the guy. It never happened again.

ok, as much as i hate eon, i am being made redundant by them in june, i will give you a few insider facts.
    1. E.on do not own the meters
    2. they are owned by companys such as siemens and accuread who in turn work for e.on, british gas, scottish power etc and read the meters verify the reads with their records and send them on the relevent utility company.
    3. by law the meters have to be read every two years by the meter owner. the meters even though they are in/on your property are not owned by you, by that i mean the householder
    4. So yes both the company and the man are correct. Your mum can refuse permission for him to enter as long as he has read it at least once every two years. I suggest she rings eon and finds out who the meter ownner is and complains direct to them, she can also insist that e.on complains on her behalf, however she will need to give permission for eon to give her telephone number to the meter operators so they can ring her to get all the facts.
    5. Meter readers are our biggest bug bears, they appear to be a law unto themselves, they create all sorts of problems even sometimes going as far to say that the customers meter is too old and is costing them money, it needs to be changed etc, we then get cust ringing up demanding meters get changed etc and their bills refunded. Meter readers only read the meters, they have no conception of how they work or how the billing works or what tariffs the customers are on. Economy 7 is the worst offender. If a cust has an E7 meter but no storage heaters and has gas or oil central heating, they must check their tariff, if they are not using more than 20% of their electricity at night (after midnight) then they should not be on an E7 tariff, they do NOT need to change their meter, just their tariff, both readings will still be taken because the meter will still switch over. People on an E7 tariff that do not need to be are spending more on electricity than they need to, yes they get a very low night rate, but unless they have storage heaters those savings are knocked out by the higher day rate!!!

5. I WILL NEVER EVER WORK FOR A UTILITY COMPANY OR A CALL CENTRE FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE. THE AMOUNT OF ABUSE I GET ON THE PHONES THRU METER READERS WRONG ASSUMPTIONS IS BEYOND BELIEF. AND FUNNILY ENOUGH CUSTOMERS BELIEVE THEM BEFORE THEY BELIEVE US WHO HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO BILL ETC.

P.s. i hope your mum gets it sorted out. As from June i will be out of work and out of e.on. yayyyyyy

You mum should raise a complaint with e-ons managing director. You should be able to find out who this is if you do a search on google.
    Not only was this man incredibly rude, but he was aggressive as well. What he did was breaking and entering - I know your mum was there but he was asked not to come in.
    I can appreciate that the electric companies need to get access to your meter occassionally, but this does not give them the right to enter your home without permission.

Complain and demand an apology. And raise it at the highest level. I too work in the service industry (telecomms) and if we received a complaint of this nature we would take it very seriously.