Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competition horses...are they wanted?

Default Competition horses...are they wanted?

Hi all,

This seems like a really random question and really I'm just testing the water. I was pondering is that as a rider with a disability would you jump at the chance to be offered the ride on a horse (well a cob) that has a proven record at RDA comps? To either just ride, share or loan.

Hell yeah, why not?
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Yes especially if its the one I am thinking of

What have you got to lose from it? Go for it and enjoy every minute

Yes!!

I think a lot of RDA riders would jump at the chance to be offered something like that (especially if as a loan etc)
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

I would, and I'm not disabled I need a nice forgiving horse! One of the mares I ride is ex para-dressage horse.

I think you'd have a lot of interest, it's not often horses like that come about.

I saw a horse at the weekend that was in a local sj comp, the rider was disabled, she had only 1 hand, she was a remarkable rider. As for her horse, well, I don't know about share it....I wanted to steal it, he was gorgeous, a stunning big dapple grey with the whitest tail I have ever seen

So the answer is yes

Quote Originally Posted by lilythepink View Post
    I saw a horse at the weekend that was in a local sj comp, the rider was disabled, she had only 1 hand, she was a remarkable rider. As for her horse, well, I don't know about share it....I wanted to steal it, he was gorgeous, a stunning big dapple grey with the whitest tail I have ever seen

So the answer is yes
    Next time you come up Pam i'll introduce you to Lou and her horse Z, his a dutchwarm blood btw. Lou was born with one hand and as you said is a brill rider, she's taking part in the dressage comp this weekend coming.
    So if i was you Sam i would jump at the chance
    http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic45_1.gif
    Proud Owner Of Two Ex Race Horses, Mr Tuplin And Rony Dony

Alwaysfallingoff Guest

TBH it depends on the nature of your disability and what you are looking to gain from the share. Having taken a lot of horses and riders to RDA national championships (and seen some of our horses that have won! ), I have to say that it is by no means a given that RDA horse = safe or that winning an RDA competition = competition horse.
    That said, there are lovely safe, well-schooled horses at some RDA groups, I just wouldn't take it for granted

Quote Originally Posted by karsteine View Post
    Next time you come up Pam i'll introduce you to Lou and her horse Z, his a dutchwarm blood btw. Lou was born with one hand and as you said is a brill rider, she's taking part in the dressage comp this weekend coming.
    So if i was you Sam i would jump at the chance
    I wanted that horse, I was so tempted to go and ask her if she would sell him to me, name her price he is just so gorgeous