Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 3 too young? questions questions!!

Default Is 3 too young? questions questions!!

My friesian will be 3 in july and i'm wanting to back her this year but in the back of my mind i keep thinking i should wait until next year. I'd hate to put too much pressure on her just because i'm keen to be out riding her. I plan to start her fairly soon but very slowly so that i can be sure that she accepts and understands everything i ask of her.

So the question is... Is she too young? i know that Friesians are slow growing horses and alot of people wait until at least 4 years of age, why is that?

Any advice apreciated. I just want to ride my horse soon but i don't want to spoil her by rushing!

i will have to keep very quiet on this one as at work we have dexter being ridden.. he is 2.
    hes going to be a racehorse in fairness though.

i think if she's started really slowly, she's not too young. just have a few sit-ons & see how you go from there. if you dont feel ready to do a bit more, dont, if you do, do!

i was all for sitting on xander anytime now, but even without my weight issue, i just dont think he's ready. everything else is starting to come together now, his feet and everything else, so really that suggests he coul dcope with an extra bit. but he's still so babyish! his ways as well as his body. so i really think you have to judge your own horse. but no harm in sitting on & then seeing if you feel like asking for a little walk about

I dont think 3 is too young, unless she is mentally and/or physically immature.

TBH it depends on the indiviadual horse IMO.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain."

If she is for life, then i wouldn't rush. There is nothing wrong with wanted to ride, but there is plenty to do before hand. If you can wait until winter then I'm sure she will be fine

no point in hurrying, id personally give her till the autumn/winter when she is 3 1/2 at least and let her mature some more

i know you will be dying to do stuff with her asap, but theres no rush, theres always other ponies to ride in the meantime
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Funny because in myn heart of hearts 3 1/2 sounds perfect but the trouble i have is that i haven't got a sand school. So the summer would be perfect so that i can create a paddock just for schooling, the field is big enough but in the winter it would be a total mess. If i were to start her at 3 1/2 i'd have to take her to somewhere where there is facilities for her. Oohh i don't know...... !

I'd start playing with her: bitting, lunging, long reining, sitting on etc .... just take things slowly.
    If you feel shes coping then progress, if shes not then don't.

Personally if they're mature enough I like to see them started between 3 and 3.5yrs old ... then turned away for 6 months and brought back in about 4.
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

I think backing is a very personal (and emotive!) subject! Really, it comes down to your horse and your methods/personal beliefs.
    My intention is to lightly back River late next summer/ autumn, when she'll be coming up for three and a half. She's TB x Hanoverian on her mum's side and dad is a big mystery (I was told Dutch WB, but as she's growing up, I'm not convinced!). It'll all be based on how she's growing, and how she reacts to the work we've got planned for her over this year and next as she may physically be ready to back, but she may need longer to mature psychologically and vice versa. However, my only place to do it will be in a roped off section of the field, so if we miss the boat before the winter weather kicks in, we'll have to hold off until the ground improves. Since she's with us for life (or that's the plan, at least!), there's no rush and if I don't think she's ready until she's four, or even later, then it's not a problem - there's no rush and I'll hopefully have twenty years or so of riding her

Really, you know your horse better than anyone else and if you think she's ready, then all you can do is start building up to it. Everyone has a different view on backing. Some people prefer to leave horses be until they're ready and do everything over a few months, and others prefer to make everything a gradual stepping stone to the next stage. Both techniques and everything in between, suit different horses and trainers.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Thanksm much appreciated, sometimes you just need to be sure your doing the right thing.