Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 3 too young? questions questions!!

my shannon has just turned three and i have lent over her and sat on her without taken one foot off the ground (she is 10hh) i am going to bit her, start long reining her and then introduce weight ie bag of feed (20kg) for short periods of time, i will have to find a small child who is confortable sitting on her in the winter. she is phyiscally and mentally mature if she wasnt up to it i would leave her to next summer

You might like to read this.....

http://fuglyblog.com/?p=1798

Depends on the horse and what work you'll be doing but I would mostly back at 3. Giddy was broken as a 3yo and hunted lightly.

How on earth can you "hunt lightly"?

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    How on earth can you "hunt lightly"?
    Easy .. it's hunting "lite"

They take it handy with the young horses. Only out for between few days in a season, for only for a few hours not all day, going home before the horse is tired and it means attending "nice" meets for a young horse, not the big jumping or tough country, meets. They stay at either the back or the middle of the field - keeping it steady - not going at a ridiculous pace, they don't jump everything - only jumping smaller, uncomplicated things to educate rather than "hunt", walk or only slow trot on the roads and not out at all on hard or very deep/wet going.

It's a great education for a young horse. They learn to stand, ride sanely in a group, leave horses, jump natural obstacles and to be forward thinking. Giddy is proof of this - he hasn't hunted since a 3yo and he's 5 this time (in May) yet he remembered. He jumped banks and drains perfectly (with me like ontop!) on Sat as if he had been doing them every day of his life. He was calm yet forward in a group of horses and was perfect to leave or be left - at one point I stayed with O when his mare was spooking while everybody else galloped off up a track in front of us. He jogged a step, was told he was to walk (as the mare wouldn't even trot past the spooky things) and he walked until we caught up on a loose rein. Hunting is a great education for a horse if it's done right

^^^
    Someone said to me to take Her hunting in her fist year. My RI says that friesians are a nightmare to teach canter with a rider on top and the best thing to do would be to hunt. Unfortunately i'm not that brave anymore and value my life too much so as much as hunting provides an excellent education i doubt i'll be taking her.

id like to go hunting with my soon to be 5 year old (backed at 3 1/2, turned away last summer until Jan)
    BUUUT we've only jumped a few logs and stuff and i have no other facilities, ie arena and posh jumps so never proper jumped i dont know how we would manage with random or big natural jumps (im sure he could cope but could i ?)
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    You might like to read this.....

http://fuglyblog.com/?p=1798
    Some ineresting archives there!

Hi Gem - I backed Dandea at just turned 3 and lightly hacked her over that summer. I took her out 2-3 times per week starting at baby 10min hacks and working up from there. The only thing that I'd suggest with friesians is don't do any schooling, Dandea at 3 was OK in straight lines but ask her to bend at trot and it just didn't happen, I saved the schooling until she was turned 4.

I also had to take her hunting to get her to canter, I just went to the local drag hunt and once she had got it and had a good canter with the others I took her home. I'd tried to get her to canter out hacking - asking people to canter in front of me but she just did friesian big trot to keep up with them - the hunting worked a treat though even if I was absolutely bricking it

appley is 3 (turned 3 two weeks ago), but still quite babylike on the whole (awww, that face!). i won't be sitting on here until aug/sept at the very earliest, then we'll pootle about in walk for a a bit, then turn her away for the winter ... in the meantime she's going for walkies inhand, on the longreins, go to a few local shows, experience 'life' etc. i always think 3 is a little early for them, but then it does depend on the horse, of course.