Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Pennines Trec (GB Qualifer) - our weekend

Default West Pennines Trec (GB Qualifer) - our weekend

Sorry it's so long - lots to tell

Now that I have recovered a bit from our first weekend away this season I will report back on it.

Driving a strange wagon ( our usual one was off to another event somewhere in Cheshire) we arrived at the venue at about 4 o'clock on Friday. It was a bit nerve wracking as the owner of this wagon is very OCD about it, and somebody had borrowed it the previous weekend and wiped out the wing mirrors on the near side - she went mental I was terrified of even getting it dirty even When we got there the gateway was a bit tricky with a big wagon and I just thought OMG she's going to kill me. Anyway, we got in and parked up fine.

After the vet check I took Tia along the bridleway to her B&B accommodation which Madlady had very kindly offered for the weekend I met her beautiful horses and got Tia settled in. On the way back I walked the PTV course SCARY!!!!

Friday night was FREEZING cold. We had our fleece mattress cover, arctic sleeping bags, 13.5 tog quilt and the dog to keep us warm but at 3am we woke up freezing cold, and with a strange DRRRRR noise in the wagon. When we looked up the dog was sat on the end of the bed (surrounded by our duvet), hair stood on end and her teeth chattering really loudly - bless her heart she was frozen. She soon got in with us then!

My tack check was 11am on Saturday - towards the end of the list (number 59 out of 70), so a lot of people had already left. Tia was on her toes as soon as I tacked her up, and dragged her dad here there and everywhere while I was in the map room We had 3 maps so lots of concentration required.

Once en-route I thought Tia might settle down - wrong! She was a hooligan all the way round - God she was hard work. She ripped my fingers to shreds and I questioned the wisdom of my choosing to take her in the snaffle in the end. Every time she spotted a horse in the distance she set off cantering sideways (would have scored a 30 for the speed of it though ).

At one check point I managed to get behind another pair and an individual just before it so we got a much needed 15 minute rest, then off we went again, bouncing sideways to catch up! Near the reservoirs I had a scary moment when she went hopping lame, but when I jumped off to have a look she had stood on a big pointy stone and it was jammed under her shoe. Phew!
    We did really well til right at the end past the football pitches, when I took the wrong path and missed a ticket, and therefore went throught the finish from the wrong direction so we got 60 penalties. Timings weren't bad though - 12 time penalties overall so I was pleased with that. We got back at 4, absolutely shattered.

After Saturday I was in 4th place, 58 behind the leader.

Sunday morning vetting was a bit worrying - I thought she might be stiff and sore after Saturday, but after I had been dragged along the road from the stables to the field I realised she had plenty of energy still. She was slightly stiff but the vet was happy with her because she trotted out of it straight away

We then had a long wait - we weren't on til 2.30 so I took Tia out for a longish ride, then came back and watched some of the experts tackle the course.

The COP was on a steep slope and I was just glad that we had to canter up it and not down it (like the level 4s ).
    After being a hooligan the day before, and all the way from the stables to the COP on Sunday dinner time, Tia was a bloomin star once she got in there. We got a 30 for canter and 8 for walk (I was just pleased she didn't jog all the way down the hill

The PTV was the hardest we have had to do so far. the terrain was very rough and the positioning of some of the obstacles made them more difficult than what we have practised. Anyway - our scores were:

Led Bridge 10
    Led S bend - 2 ( I knocked the poles twice - Tia was foot perfect)
    Remount block 10
    Ride uphill (cliff face more like!) 10
    Low branches 10
    Bending 7
    Ridden corridor 2 (we are still too wide )
    Maypole 7 (Bottled doing it in canter at the last minute in case I threw points away)
    Immobility 0 (I took too long )
    Remount from the ground from off side 1 (I took too long again but managed it )
    Path crossing 9 (Whoa - really scary - wasn't going to attempt it at all)
    Jump 10
    Step up 10
    Rein back 10
    Led corridor 4

Woohoo - best score to date for that section

Overall we came 2nd in the end - just 4 marks behind the winner so we're thrilled to have qualified

Well done to the other qualifiers - it was a tough competition, and a special big thank you to the organisers - we had a brilliant time.

Most of all thank you to Madlady who made us feel very welcome and let us have somewhere for Tia to rest her weary legs
    Last edited by shanzee; 20-04-2010 at 12:29.

well done

buuuuut

NO PICCIES?????

well done
    PICS??
    Official PRESIDENT of the TO 'Blue Peter Badge Owners' Clique

Sounds great What's path crossing?

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    well done

buuuuut

NO PICCIES?????
    Madlady took some pics honest - she is having a play with them because they were on her phone - then we'll put them on

the path crossing was a jump followed immediately by a drop, 2 strides then a steep incline with a jump at the top OMG we've never done anything like that before and I wasn't keen but tia just flew it

I have got piccies honest, just need to twiddle with them as they were taken on phone.

Me, OH, my friend and my neices are now official members of the Tia fan club, she is just gorgeous and well done to both of you for qualifying

Wow!!! well done!!!!

Photos

Sounds fab! Well done

Brilliant Shanzee Please post a few pics if you have 'em