Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do We Think, Folks? (Racing, Whips, Ban)

Default What Do We Think, Folks? (Racing, Whips, Ban)

When I read that, I personally cant see how you can argue against it. They are still to be allowed to carry them - just not use them to force extra speed. They may need different training methods and some horses may not be as fast. A different type of horse may end up in the winners enclosure.

The only way to argue FOR the continued use is to say its acceptable to hit a horse repeatedly to make it win. Doesnt really work does it? If the only way to get my Arnie to win something was to repeatedly hit him with a whip I wouldnt want to win in the first place.

Oh, and before everyone starts saying how they are not always hitting them, sometimes they are just waving the whip about etc etc - if that was the case there wouldnt be so many top jockeys getting bans for overuse or misuse of a whip.
    Horses are for life not just for riding

Those racing whips like the one he is brandishing in the pic are FOAM!!!

I have one for the rideouts. They make a big bang but thats it. Have been belted by one when a friend got one, was expecting pain and was like wheres the sting??? So bought one.

Honestly people need to actually research and not just see a whip and go oooooh that must hurt that poor horse. Have you ever seen a racehorse come off the track with whip marks??? I mean they show up rather quickly especially if the horse is sweating.

Nikki xxxx

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NiknKia View Post
    Those racing whips like the one he is brandishing in the pic are FOAM!!!

I have one for the rideouts. They make a big bang but thats it. Have been belted by one when a friend got one, was expecting pain and was like wheres the sting??? So bought one.

Honestly people need to actually research and not just see a whip and go oooooh that must hurt that poor horse. Have you ever seen a racehorse come off the track with whip marks??? I mean they show up rather quickly especially if the horse is sweating.

Nikki xxxx
    oooh i never knew that about racing whips
    good points nic

Thanks for the replies! I was just genuinely interested as to what others thought.

Personally, I don't think there should be a total ban on whips for the reason that I don't think a hit with the whip is really that different from a nudge in the ribs. It's a clearer aid, on a fleshy area rather than boney and as far as I'm aware over recent years they have been trying to enforce better whip usage? I'm sure someone can correct me!

Thing is, as horse riders, none of us have an issue with use of the leg from a dressage rider to encourage a more forward movement.

From my little knowledge of jockeys (I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong) they can't kick or dig their heels in as it would be into the ribs. They use the rein and the whip to encourage impulsion.
    As Nik says - the whips are foam and don't leave marks or sting.

So I have always seen the use of the whip as an extension of the leg? Or instead of the leg I suppose .... to encourage the horse to move forward
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

Quote Originally Posted by CER View Post

So I have always seen the use of the whip as an extension of the leg? Or instead of the leg I suppose .... to encourage the horse to move forward
    which is as i see it.
    in much the same way as a lady riding side saddle carries a stick to 'replace' her leg on the other side of the horse, the jockey is using the whip...
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

So can I ask here, why are they to still be allowed to carry them to protect against horses biting or kicking etc if they are all just foam? Genuine question here folks? Also, why have jockeys been banned for using whips? Surely if they are all just foam then there would be no reason to ban a jockey?

And look what the handy jockeys discovered - soak one of these soft foam whips in water and lo and behold, it isnt quite so soft and friendly then! I'm not anti whip but jeez, to actually try to find a way round things so it will hurt the horse?? No wonder they want a ban!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rac...wet-whips.html
    Horses are for life not just for riding

Wow, the Daily Mail and it's ever-so resourceful information.

Have you wet foam before? It drains away, so flicking it at the horse will obviously lose the majority of water, if it hasn't already drained away throughout the race.

I'm not for whipping, and no, Jockey's arn't allowed to dig in.

ETA: Have worked in the racing industry

Daily fail, says it all really!