Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who's the oldest first time horse owner?

The fact is you never grow out of it. I got my first horse at 33.

Now at 56 I have four with a foal on the way for next Spring, so that will make five.

I'm fulfilling my childhood dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    I think chris&scully is a late owner too...
    Hey - not so much of the "late" - I am still alive & kicking - lol

I am an "older" first owner - I got Scully in my 60th year - we are going to grow old disgracefully together...

You all give me hope! (I'm 32 and still don't have my own...yet!)
    "The past is only the future with the lights on" - +44

Quote Originally Posted by CremelloKendra View Post
    i was 11
    BindyB
    x

I was 44. I've just turned 45

When I was a kid I was horse MAD but was hideously allergic to them - had really bad asthma attacks etc - so I avoided them like the plague until April this year.

I took my little lad to riding lessons, sniffed a few ponies in the stables (with medecines at the ready) and HEY PRESTO! I wasn't allergic to them any more.

Grabbed the nearest horse and they let me ride him

I was mortified at all the years I'd missed out on horses so I went a bit bonkers. Got bored of the riding school 'going round in circles' mallarky and started a horse share in July. This lasted ooooohhh ... a month

I was sharing a criollo horse and a field and stable became vacant at the yard. So I thought 'WOOHOOOO' and went and bought my own

We're having a FAB time Can't get through the day without riding him!

Think I am a bit more nervous through age and experience of life's dangers but having an 'older body' that cracks more easily than a young one, it just makes me more determined to stay on!

My grandad is 81 and he's worked with horses all his life. He's ITCHING to get on Shadow and next time he's up at the yard he'll be in the saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Anne View Post
    I was 44. I've just turned 45

When I was a kid I was horse MAD but was hideously allergic to them - had really bad asthma attacks etc - so I avoided them like the plague until April this year.

I took my little lad to riding lessons, sniffed a few ponies in the stables (with medecines at the ready) and HEY PRESTO! I wasn't allergic to them any more

Grabbed the nearest horse and they let me ride him

I was mortified at all the years I'd missed out on horses so I went a bit bonkers. Got bored of the riding school 'going round in circles' mallarky and started a horse share in July. This lasted ooooohhh ... a month

I was sharing a criollo horse and a field and stable became vacant at the yard. So I thought 'WOOHOOOO' and went and bought my own

We're having a FAB time Can't get through the day without riding him!

Think I am a bit more nervous through age and experience of life's dangers but having an 'older body' that cracks more easily than a young one, it just makes me more determined to stay on!

My grandad is 81 and he's worked with horses all his life. He's ITCHING to get on Shadow and next time he's up at the yard he'll be in the saddle
    So happy you achieved your dream. Its wonderful isn't it ? I think when we wait so long we appreciate it even more.

Go Grandad
    I hope you will let us know how he gets on .

I'll post pics

That's a great story Princess Anne! Must be so great to finally be 'living your dream'! Good for you!!
    BindyB
    x