Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's the oldest first time horse owner?

I was 48 when I got my first, 49 when I got my second. I'm 50 in a couple of weeks - do you think I'll get another one?

I was 37 when I bought Thea 2 years ago.............2010 is my BIG 4-0 year!
    I still look at her sometimes and can't believe that my childhood dream of getting a horse finally did come true - I feel very lucky & also fitter & healthier than a few years ago

I think chris&scully is a late owner too...

I was 43 when I bought Arlo. I'm 50 in August & my parents are STILL giving me grief about it.

Last time this came up someone mentioned knowing a man over 80 who bought a new youngster.
    I am quite prepared to buy my first late in life and began to look last winter. (thwarted by an operation)

Owning your own horse is a sensible step in old age. You can ride when and how and for as long as you like.

We RS riders have to be pretty tough - we turn up by appointment regardless of the weather or how fragile we feel and we are then "taught". It's fine as long as you are young and fit. But ownership gives an o.a.p. a chance to take their own decisions - and there may even be an economy if you have children or grandchildren with whom to share a pony.
    My opinion is that it is never too late to buy -

I will be nearly 44 when I get mine next month

Thank you all for your great replies, they are making me feel better about the whole thing! Of course I'd still love to be able to have one now, but I suppose I could look at it that, as I've wanted a horse for as long as I can remember - so about 31 years so far, then with another 15 years to go I'm over two thirds through my wait!

I love my little family and am looking forward to expanding it, and so I don't want to wish that time away to a time when I'll have a pony, I want to be able to enjoy what I have now, so hearing your stories (especially your livery friend getting told off at 72 Rubysmum! ) has helped me get my head around that, if you know what I mean.

I've just been a bit hormonal lately and getting myself upset about silly things But I shall continue to get my horsey fix via TO while I can't do anything horsey in 'real life' at the mo, so for that I'm grateful

(And Heucherella, I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to see your very own BIrish update )
    BindyB
    x

BindyB - can't you be a sharer? Keep seeing ads in mags and tack shops, that way you wouldn't have the same financial or time outlay and a real fix until you get your own.

Bought Duke at 38 and had not ridden much at all either and started so late in life, I'd reached the same life stage, all work and then family, then you want some 'me' time and it is really perfect to relax, albeit a labour of love too.
    You will get there, just think 'when' and not 'if'

Just to add to your list I was 41 when we bought our first horse - they have all been for 'the kids' - we bought three, but have since sold one - fortunately 'the kids' were teenagers and I get to share one with my daughter. It really was my childhood dream though. Their father thought they could go to a riding school for lessons. They had about four weeks this time around (they had been when they were little) and I went and bought a horse - told him after, thought that was best. We've had them two years now and I will have Ellie until her last day. I will never be without a horse again.

It'll come if you want it when the time is right.

I did have a share last year for about 6 months. But her owner and I had a difference of opinions and I felt I had to walk away. She was a lovely pony and I was incredibly fond of her, but she had issues with napping which gradually worsesned to the point that she would just simply plant her feet and refuse to move at all. I tried to work through this problem but didn't seem to be getting anywhere. When I talked to her owner about it, her answer to the problem was to, and I quote, "Beat the s**t out of her and keep beating her until she does what you want". So if that's what her owner was doing with her, it was no wonder that M wasn't listening to me any more! I didn't want to be part of that and certainly wasn't going to beat her, so I just had to walk away.

To be honest the whole experience made me want my own even more really, it was very hard not having any real control over her welfare and not being able to do things the way I would have liked to.

I will share again, it's not put me off or anything, but I havn't been able to find anything since - there are alot of people looking for a share round this area (our local feed store notice board is chocka block full of adverts from sharers looking for horses! ) and very few owners looking for sharers. My search is certainly not helped by my very limited budget. And as it turns out, I've now had to put the search on hold as I can't do anything horsey now till next year anyway, and I think this cold turkey is just making the longing worse
    BindyB
    x