Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's the oldest first time horse owner?

i fullfilled my childhood dream at the age of 39. I

Quote Originally Posted by Skib View Post
    and there may even be an economy if you have children or grandchildren with whom to share a pony.
    I hadn't thought of that!

I was 41, only started riding at 37 coz I was scared of horses and for some reason didnt want to be beaten, now look at me

me, so far! I am 54 and bought Max, my first horse 8 weeks ago (ok I was 53 then....)
    Took me awhile. I was 43 when I started riding.

I'm nearly in your category.... I did buy my first pony when I was 18 but I sold him at the age of 21 so I could get a mortgage with my fiance Then stopped riding and anything horsey for the next 21 years whilst I was up to my eyeballs in debt and kids A divorce and a re-marriage and suddenly I had the time and enough money to return to my "first love". I shared a gorgeous ex-racer for 4 months before I admitted that sharing wasn't enough... I wanted the whole, full-time caring package and found myself the lucky owner of a 100% bombproof hairy cob mare. And I haven't looked back since. Four years later (and 3 transient horses!) I now own a TB (something I said I would NEVER do! ) and I've just put a deposit down on hairy yearling. I will be 47 next month... the same day that he will be 1

Although the confidence is not what it was (I think you become far more aware of danger when you get older) the only things it stops me doing are jumping and hunting, although I'm working on the jumping thing, I do feel that I my life's wisdom is helpful and I'm more patient these days too.... and they certainly keep me fit and active!!

Hmmm... I was already 50 plus when I bought my first (and I fully expect him to be my last) horse. I have just as much enthusiasm as I had as a ten year old and a bit more sense! Yes, I have aches and pains and feel much more vulnerable than I did way back when, but I am as daft as a bat about him.

During my late teens and through to my forties, I didn't have any contact with horses. I just didn't have the time or the money because of my family, but my daughter inherited my love of horses and we bought two Section Ds from the same source and at the same time and we now do everything together, which is just great!

Don't worry about doing it all later. Enjoy other things then come back to horses when you have the time, money and commitment.

"You're better doing 10 minutes good work than 20 minutes of bad" - The Daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Heucherella View Post
    I will be nearly 44 when I get mine next month
    Lord, you don't look your age!

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle toes View Post
    i fullfilled my childhood dream at the age of 39. I
    And me at 38. Was dying to have a horse for years and am now the proudest mum ever.

Thank you so much for your replies everyone! It's quite comforting to know that others have been in the same situation and still have the same enthusiasm as they did when they were younger.

I know it sounds dramatic, but I long for my own horse so much it aches But I think that's really not helped by the fact that I can't ride at the mo and have no contact with horses at all at the mo - I'm on a bit of a (not by choice) cold turkey phase at the mo

But I will keep looking forward to 'one day'
    BindyB
    x

Sorry to hijack thread but cinammontoast I've just fainted with shock!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were 38 when you got Beau????????? I thought you were in your early twenties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!