Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are all this year's rising 4 yr olds up to ...?

Lance shares Holly's birthday

Rocco is being broken just now. We decided to give him an extra year before breaking him as he is currently standing at 17.2 and felt that last year he wasnt capable of being broken. Glas I did he has filled out fantastic and is looking superb this year.

Well Archie is 4 and a half now, and he has been walking/trotting under saddle.. long reined, lunging, in-hand walks. But has been put out in the field for the past 2 months to mature

In comparison to my friends rising/just turned 4 years olds, it's like Archie hasn't been touched.
    Friends 16.2hh german warmblood just turned 4yo (last month) has been jumping since febuary, done his first BSJA last weekend- Clear round, BN and the discovery.
    Other friends 17.1hh dutch warmblood turned 4yo in january, has been competing since mid-jan and is now jumping up to 1.05 at shows...
    (neither of them bother with hacking because its deemed as un-nessescary for youngsters to do so...)
    to be successful you have to accept all the challenges that come your way. you can't just accept the ones you like

I'm thinking Archie has a much more secure long-term future

I learnt something yesterday about the Little One. I'd been practicing changes last week with joeP (the grey above) and it was the first time for both of us. We used a pole, I collected him up, tried to organise and time my legs over the pole, he tried to think about it .... after a couple of tries, I had my trainer hop on and show him, and he got it, and then we both had it. Result ! So later, after trainer had gone home, I tried it with Tiny. Cantered her up, half-halt, half-halt, half-halt and she collected right up, stuck her ears forward, locked onto the pole on the ground and switched leads right over the top, first time every time. She's done all this before. And I've had her from 5 years old Poor little mite. No wonder she was thrown away at that age. I suspect that 80% of these hot-housed ponies make it through that very intense early training, and make their trainers big money. And the others get thrown away.
    Oh good grief, BAN FOXHUNTING ALREADY, this incessant drivel about what colour tie to wear makes my eyes bleed.

my 4yr old fresian x through bred was at his first show on sat the 12th june he got clear working hunter 2ft 9 and clear show jumping hes such a littel super star

Just wondering how this years' babies are doing, at the end of their year under saddle ?
    Oh good grief, BAN FOXHUNTING ALREADY, this incessant drivel about what colour tie to wear makes my eyes bleed.

She is going great thank you!