Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are all this year's rising 4 yr olds up to ...?

Default What are all this year's rising 4 yr olds up to ...?

What are all your newly-backed babies doing this year - share your pics and progress !

My new baby for this year is about to turn four. She had her knees x-rayed in February and was *almost* ready to go. She's a little QH pony, red dun, very kind and nice-natured on the ground .... umm..... she has a bit of a rear in her, and I have to say, she has a temperament that is just a tad different from optimal !

What I"m really looking for in a kids' eventer, is a 'let me try that' attitude. It's definitely the mentality that I found in joePony (now 7)

... and in Tiny (now 8) ...

Butter, is just a little more 'what can I get away with'. I'm hoping it's just that she's a little spoilt -she was bought by a teenager to train for her younger sister, but they didn't have good facilities, so they never really got anywhere - nowhere to work the pony at all. So I picked her up in February, and she was very pleasant, but really didn't know much of anything, having been left to rule the roost in her own paddock with 2 bigger girls, for the past 2 years.

Unfortunately, I didn't really pick up on this very early. I thought she was just a nice, quiet easy horse. So I had her backed and out there doing little trails within a week (from backing, I mean, not from first buying her !)

After she was going forward on trails, I didn't invest much time at all in groundwork, and it really bit me in the bum. I took her out to a local arena with her buddy Rosie, and hopped on Butter after Rosie was done. I thought I'd just walk her round the arena with the other two little girls who had finished their lesson and SHOULD HAVE been doing their cool-down. **massive miscalculation** I'd forgotten that these particular two girls' cool-down, consists largely of cantering about madly, then stopping completely and hanging out sitting on their ponies chewing gum and chatting while getting their long-suffering mum to bring them drinks while complaining loudly.

<<phew Breathe ... I am over it, honest>> so as a result, I was in the arena, with ButterPony, and no other pony to follow, and it all went to worms very quickly. A huge floofy curly barking dog appeared at the far end and freaked her out, and I was getting truly frustrsated with it all and she ended up rearing and bucking as I tried to get her to go forward .... <<Major Pony-Trainer Error!>>

So, back to basics and filling in some gaps... we spent the next few weeks on the ground, establishing forward, and 'send' over various obstacles, before getting back to tiny hacks right from the house.

She has gone on to do a couple of slightly longer trail rides with other horses, notably one behind my little buddy on joePony, where I asked her to canter off ahead down a windy trail, and after an extended trot, Butter launched into her first ever canter under saddle. Whheeeeeee ! That was great. And then a big adventure out to Baker's Creek behind a big spooky thoroughbred, which culminated in him spooking at the water, and ButterPony deciding to have a little lie down on the beach

She's doing well, but her slightly obnoxious character is coming to the fore a little. She's very quiet and calm... but she does this thing, where she's walking along the road (in just a halter - we have introduced a bit, just to get used to it, but are not ready to start using one effectively yet - need a lot more softness and obedience yet !) .. and she'll turn her head to look at something in the hedge ... and then turn her head a bit more .... and then she'll just try, just see if she can't get away with spinning round and heading for home. Of course she can't, and she gets calmly turned back down the road again. But it's constant, you know ? She's always trying something to see if she can't get back to the barn.

I'm hoping it's just a phase, a confidence, barn-sour thing, and not her innate character. When I started joseph, he was looky, like all babies, and he'd stop ... but he never seemed to be 'trying not to', if you know what I mean. And same with Tiny Little One, who was a restart. She'd be nervous, and she'd panic, but there was never any element of stubborness, or 'don't want to'.

In fact, the only one that Butter reminds me of is Summer And she's a boss mare, just like Summer was. It's like she doesn't really need direction from me, thankyou very much, she's just fine making all the decisions herself. I'm hoping it will all work out because she is quite small, and friendly and gentle .... Summer had quite a horrid life for the first 10 years or so, being passed form one rider to the next, and nobody liking her

Summer's really happy now though, by the way - she went down to Georgia, as her new girl's absolute favourite horse, and I hear about her all the time on FaceBook !

So ... tell all .... what are the trials and tribulations of your newly-backed crop of nearly-four and four year olds ?
    Oh good grief, BAN FOXHUNTING ALREADY, this incessant drivel about what colour tie to wear makes my eyes bleed.

She is happy hacking

Mine has just turned 4 and we are just hacking out, getting her used to being out and about with a rider and having good manners.

Not had a single issue with her. Not sure what im planning to do next I hate schooling but I guess that will be the next thing I really should do, get her going well enough to do a polite basic dressage test
    What would I do without you, my loyal and precious friend?
    Part mischief, but all blessing, and faithful to the end.

for quick responses and happy hacking ..., but I notice you two slackers haven't posted any PICTURES !!!!!!
    Oh good grief, BAN FOXHUNTING ALREADY, this incessant drivel about what colour tie to wear makes my eyes bleed.

Mine 4 year old is hacking out, doing some fab flatwork and has jumped some small jumps, gone over the xc course and through the water had a good gallop and mostly keeps all four feet on the ground now she is 4 1/2

My 4 yr old is hacking out, has done 2 walk trot tests and will be going to a show once a month, doing novice rider, best turned out and an in hand class.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WonderPony View Post
    for quick responses and happy hacking ..., but I notice you two slackers haven't posted any PICTURES !!!!!!
    Oopsie....

Injuring herself is what Ayla is doing right now :P
    Currently hacking...popped a few logs out on a hack and she loves it but not starting anything serious until the end of the summer, i`ll start schooling her then and small jumps....nothing hard because she`s still mentally immature...she seems to love jumping and has a huge interest in everything when out and about but she strops at the slightest thing and spooks at silly little things and isn`t scared about the stuff she should be lol like buses, squealing lorries, dogs, bags
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine just turned 5 .... but last year he was rising 4
    This time last year I'd just backed him and was walking out in hand alone, long reining, and starting to think about riding!

Lance last year, rising 4 (!)

In comparison, Lance last weekend, the day before his 5th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    Mine just turned 5 .... but last year he was rising 4

In comparison, Lance last weekend, the day before his 5th birthday.
    ah Lance is a day older than my baby D
    D was 5 this week and after being turned away for several months since the summer, came back into work on Jan 30th. We have been re-establishing the basics, had our first gallop, and have started to pop the odd small obstacle out and about.
    D is very very taken with the running and jumping thing and is jumping over anything he can find....including on his own in the field, and a drainage ditch he could have stepped over but no, he launched himself over it like it was 8 ft wide
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]