Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaning forward

Default Leaning forward

Sorry I got another question, this properly makes me sound a really rubbish rider, which I am not I just need to work on getting a few issues sorted Could someone please give me some advise on how to stop myself leaning forward, for no apprent reason, it is a reallly bad habit I have got myself into and can't get out of it, I tend to do it in my lessons and not out on a hack, I even sometimes do it when having a lunge lesson Some advise how not to do it would be much appreciated

I swear you and I are exactly the same, we have exactly the same bad habits! The only way I got out of doing it was riding a bucker (so not ideal!), but started doing it again after my break. I'm getting better but still lean forward in transitions......the only way I stop is my instructor screaming SIT BACK ON YOUR CONSIDERABLE BOTTOM BRIONY

Lol!My instructor just tells me to sit back and stop leaning forward, she doesn't shout at me though, which is good as I'm sure another instructor would have lost their temper with me by now I'm not going to learn the way you lean't as if I was put on a bucker I would be on the floor lol! Think I have to say to myself sit up straight and not thorw yourself on to the horse's neck

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo2009 View Post
    Lol!My instructor just tells me to sit back and stop leaning forward, she doesn't shout at me though, which is good as I'm sure another instructor would have lost their temper with me by now I'm not going to learn the way you lean't as if I was put on a bucker I would be on the floor lol! Think I have to say to myself sit up straight and not thorw yourself on to the horse's neck
    I need shouting at, I just wander about gong *Do I haaaavvvee to?* otherwise! Have you tried the whip behind your elbows thing? It gets your elbows and shoulders back in an extreme way and it really hurts to lean forward! Then when you take the whip away, you relax into a more natural, but still straighter position.

No, I haven't tried the whip behind my elbow thing, what you have to do?, have you done the whip thing PL52? I have done non-stirrup work to try and straighten my position and I didn't lean forward as couldn't otheriwise would have fallen off the horse I normally get very annoyed if I can't do something and pretend I didn't hear what was said and try and avoid doing, normally doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo2009 View Post
    No, I haven't tried the whip behind my elbow thing, what you have to do?, have you done the whip thing PL52? I have done non-stirrup work to try and straighten my position and I didn't lean forward as couldn't otheriwise would have fallen off the horse I normally get very annoyed if I can't do something and pretend I didn't hear what was said and try and avoid doing, normally doesn't work
    Oui. It is hell on earth but most effective!

Basically, you put your elbows right back then run the whip behind your back and thread it through your elbows....if you see what I mean?

I do that. The other day she was asking me to trot but in irregular patterns.....so stand for 3, then sit for 2, stand for 5, sit for 5....etc......it was REALLY hard, so I just pretended I was really thick and didn't understand and just kept rising

I found trying to put my shoulders back &sit back just made me tense, stiff & I'd still tip forward! I'd also get a bad back for my trouble & horses that didn't go well for me. So not a huge success.

A combination of three things worked for me. One, getting a long standing sacro-illiac problem treated - it seems I actually couldn't stand up straight for long without getting sore so it was small wonder I couldn't do it in a saddle . Secondly stopping thinking sit back, shoulders back & instead thinking of bringing my bum forward. And thirdly learning to really open my hips & get my whole leg under me - of course this had been nigh on impossible when my back was wrong but once it was treated it was the thing that made the most difference.
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

shoulders back doesn't work!! Think sit on your bum tummy out!!

I lean forward all the time too, think its because im so top heavy!

i've been riding all my life and still lean forward out of habit

the whip thing is good

also - i was told on wed - ride like a page 3 girl on a dressage horse think of sticking those boobs out alas mine are more fried eggs but made me laugh and stuck in my brain

if all else fails - blame the saddle many slightly off fitting saddles cause the rider to tip forward slightly - or tip back then over compensate by tipping forward again too much