Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaning forward

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    i've been riding all my life and still lean forward out of habit

the whip thing is good

also - i was told on wed - ride like a page 3 girl on a dressage horse think of sticking those boobs out alas mine are more fried eggs but made me laugh and stuck in my brain

if all else fails - blame the saddle many slightly off fitting saddles cause the rider to tip forward slightly - or tip back then over compensate by tipping forward again too much
    I love blaming saddles! No, no, I CAN'T get my leg back, the stirrup bars are funny, it's not my dodgy hips or grippy knees, honest!

A lot don't help though. I was in a lesson and got shouted at to put my leg back, rotate my thigh, open my thigh but have contact with my calf, hips foward, but shoulders back?! Basically, you want me to bend my body in a U shape, backwards. MY BODY DOES NOT GO THAT WAY

to quote mine and DoeyL's instructor 'tuck your tail!' i used to lean forward, now i hollow my back. To get the best position i have to tuck my bum under (which seems impossible!) and bring my belly in and relax my shoulder, no need to be tense. Then position is perfect.

Maybe you should try sitting in front of a mirror on a stool and try and sort your position out that way? Then you'll know what you're doing wrong.
    ♥Locki ♥ My love for you is everlasting ♥

Honestly I think some RIs expect you to be a contortionist!!

I tip forward when I'm trying to use my leg really strongly, esp in canter. I find its worth getting used to riding with the weight in your little toes, as it helps keep your thigh and knee away from saddle and keep legs wrapped round the horse without having to lift your heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Temily View Post
    I find its worth getting used to riding with the weight in your little toes, as it helps keep your thigh and knee away from saddle and keep legs wrapped round the horse without having to lift your heel.
    that's exactly what my RI says step into your little toe works for me too

What do you mean by weight on your toes?, deos that mean stick my toes in more? I have to try and see if tucking my hips in more stops me from tipping forward, if I tuck my hips under they hurt sometimes, I think this because am not use to using them on a horseand sometimes my horse is a bit big for me. I have to see if tucking my hips under and sitting back in the saddle more stops me leaning forward, I doubt it will, we'll see what happens Sunday when I have a lesson with my friend

You want to relax & open your hips, not tuck them under you. If you try to tuck them under you you'll just tighten up & that will make matters worse. The size of the horse is no excuse, I'm only 5'5" but I manage just fine on a 16.2/3 ID!
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

Everytime you ride, imagine you're performing. That's what a very successful dressage rider friend of mine once said! It has taken me a couple of years to get out of my very typically 'jumper' style of riding but I am slowly improving!

How do I relax and open my hips up? as when I do I find they hurt a bit. Could someone please give me advise on how to open my hips up without me tip forward.

Do this!

My RI makes me do one leg, then the other, then both! When you drop your leg back down, it will fall where it should be....tricky part is keeping it there!

That is laughter of pain, not enjoyment It's also cheating to lean on the pommel as I am!

Lots of no stirrups (again, seems to be the cure for all evils! ) and also bring your foot back and up, so the sole of your foot is aiming to touch your calf, to stretch out your leggies.

I haven't tried that thing that you have shown me in your pic PL52, looks hard to do. I have done non stirrup work only in trot though, not brave to do it in canter, I have to say that I enjoy non-stirrup work but regreat it later on as my legs ache when I get off the horse and the following day. How do I get the sole of my to touch my calf and then stretch my legs out bit confussed sorry having a blonde moment