Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leaning forward

It's alright, I don't think I explained very well!

The thing I'm doing above is quite easy...you can do it at a halt with your RI holding the horse if you want. You slide your legs up until you are sitting as though you had stirrups at jockey length. Then you slowly bring your thigh away so none of your leg is touching your saddle...no pain like it

Essentially, you are doing this, but sat on a horse! You can also use it to loosen your hips off by raising your leg away from the saddle in that position.

. Again, hurts, but worth it. Just be careful...I have dodgy hips and have managed to pop one out trying to show off!!!

Oh right ok then, I will give it ago, but might try stretching before I get on the horse, if I remember to see if the loosens my hips and stops them from hurting, as don't know why my hips decide to hurt sometimes when on a horse, must be doing something wrong?

The other thing I'd suggest is try standing in your riding position. If you tip forward or don't keep your legs under you then you'll fall over! Play around with it, close your eyes to feel where your balance is, try with more & less bend through your knee & hip to replicate different stirrup lengths. Then remember how it feels & put it into place when you ride, it sounds crazy but it can work very well if you try it seriously.

ETA if you ache after riding it may be useful to try some cooling down stretches when you get off the horse, just try to gently stretch out & walk off the muscles you think are likely to ache.
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

I will try and stretch when I have got off the horse and see if that makes any difference. Maybe I have my stirrups too short, would this cause me to tip forward a bit?, I just can't ride with long stirrups as it just feel weird, especially when hacking I have to have fairly short stirrups or I tend to loose my stirrup, the can't get it back if we are cantering sometimes.

Ah, therein lies the problem! I do the same. Too short stirrups will contribute....but you lose your stirrups probably because you're gripping with you knee....I ALWAYS slip my stirrups in canter where I grip. After you do no stirrups work, do you feel like your stirrups are too short and you need to lengthen them? I had to lengthen mine by 4 holes one lesson!

yes after I did do non stirrup work my stirrups did feel like they were a bit short thought nothing of it and left them as they were, maybe I should have lengthend them and see how it felt. I like riding with short stirrups though, as if I have long ones it just doesn't feel right. I see how it gies in today's lesson and try not to lean forward or sideays when doing a circle

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo2009 View Post
    yes after I did do non stirrup work my stirrups did feel like they were a bit short thought nothing of it and left them as they were, maybe I should have lengthend them and see how it felt. I like riding with short stirrups though, as if I have long ones it just doesn't feel right. I see how it gies in today's lesson and try not to lean forward or sideays when doing a circle
    I always feel like that too...next time, try lengthening them after your no stirrups.....staying with your short stirrups just undoes all your good work!

I don't do non-stirrup work that often only when I ask to do it don't know why. I still got told not to lean forward or throw myself forward when had my lesson yesterday, and to make matter worst felt like I was out control when I asked my horse to canter, how do I get myself out of this bad habitat of leaning forward?, its starting to bug me now Good thing, I didn't get told off for leaning sideways doing my circles yesterday:yahoo. Nxt time I do non-stirrup work, I have to see if lengthing my stirrups afterwards makes any difference.

It really is just practice, being very aware of what you're doing & being very strict with yourself. Any of the tips above will help, which ones are best for you you'll only find by trial & error, but none of them are miracle cures. Get some photos or better yet video clips of you riding now (not just the good bits ), work on it every time you ride for a couple of months, then get some more pics/video & compare. You're retraining muscles & balance, it won't happen overnight.
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

I don't have any access to anyone that has a video otherwise would get someone to video me and haven't got anyone that is around to take pics on a good camera, as mine is rubbish as doesn't zoom in. I certainly am retraining muscles that I don't use very well as I do tend to ache, especially the inner legs maybe that just me being unfit in the saddle or gripping with my knees too much?