Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Leaning forward

Quote Originally Posted by TwoShy View Post
    i
    also you can tie some bailing twine in a figure of eight behind your back going uner the arms and over the shoudler. this works also.
    This is extremely dangerous. Should the horse buck, spook or just generally do something unexpected, you can't use your hands to help you and risk falling off and seriously hurting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandoz View Post
    This is extremely dangerous. Should the horse buck, spook or just generally do something unexpected, you can't use your hands to help you and risk falling off and seriously hurting yourself.
    oh i didn't realise how dangerous it was, thats what my riding instructor said i can do instead of using the crop.

Any practice which requires a rider to tie a part of their body down/together, such as this method or tying the rider's leg to the girth to keep the leg still, etc. , is dangerous, because you cannot "breakfall" if need be. And bailing twine won't always snap for horses, let alone riders, in an emergency. If you feel you really need to use a method of some sort to get your shoulder's back, rather use the crop method. At least you can make an attempt to get your arms free if need be. But it is still a calculated risk.

I have heard a few phrases that have really helped me to sit properly. They are about keeping your core muscles strong. "Zip up your front" and have an "upwards energy".. It may not make sense to you but it helped me! xx

I used to lean terribley because I was nervous...once I became more confident then it improved. Also stirrup length..I used to ride very short until I got a new RI - dressage! He told me to immediately drop them down two holes and spent the whole lesson tell me to sit on my butt, up tall and keep the weight in my heels!! He is scary, but it works! I need a riding instructor to shout at me, he regularly tells me I'm letting my pony down so stop being stupid and RIDE! Not sure why I pay this man so much money to give me abuse it's 45 mins of what looks like torture but I sure as hell remember every word he says and it stays with me

The love for a horse is just as complicated as the love for another human being...if you never love a horse, you will never understand

I have this habit and I would say to do what I'm told to do, sit back, relax your shoulders and head up. Keeping your head upright helps stop you tipping forward, I find anyway! Shoulders back also helps me maintain the upright position. It's hard, and I hate when I feel myself do it but just remember, head up, looking at where you want to go and shoulders back. Also, try to relax, don't let yourself get tense!

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    i
    also - i was told on wed - ride like a page 3 girl on a dressage horse think of sticking those boobs out alas mine are more fried eggs but made me laugh and stuck in my brain

if all else fails - blame the saddle many slightly off fitting saddles cause the rider to tip forward slightly - or tip back then over compensate by tipping forward again too much
    I can't afford lessons at the moment so get some help from a friend just by having her watch me from the ground, and she says "STICK YOUR ****** BOOBS OUT!", "SIT ON YOUR FLIPPING TAIL BONE!", and other such phrases like "LET GO WITH YOUR LEFT ELBOW, WOMAN!" - which is another point, don't tense or straighten your elbows! Don't tense your wrists either, but do keep them relaxed and straight (yes, it is difficult )

And it is a very good point that a saddle that doesn't fit or may need re-flocking or re-balancing can and will tip a rider forward. I was so used to my Wintec when I finally bought my Barnsby, that I leant back TOO much; cos the Wintec didn't fit you had to sit back more than usual just to balance yourself!

Just as an afterthought you must be strict with yourself at first when learning all this - I am terribly lazy so do a mental checklist every 5 mins whilst I'm riding:
    - are my arms bent, elbows relaxed
    - am i sitting up and back, drawing up the rib cage but not tensing, and holding my stomach in (again, not tensing or holding your breath, just holding it all up and in)
    - are my feet level in the stirrups
    - am i gripping with my hips and knees
    - are my shoulders back

I also do LOADS of stretches and exercises at home, stretching out my hamstrings (which will make your legs draw up if they're tight), and various other stretches
    Last edited by Livia; 11-02-2011 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by palmerlover52 View Post
    Ah, therein lies the problem! I do the same. Too short stirrups will contribute....but you lose your stirrups probably because you're gripping with you knee....I ALWAYS slip my stirrups in canter where I grip. After you do no stirrups work, do you feel like your stirrups are too short and you need to lengthen them? I had to lengthen mine by 4 holes one lesson!
    Once you can learn to relax and not grip, you'll probably need to lengthen your stirrups. I, unfortunately, have started gripping again after a period of lower confidence, so my stirrups have gone back up a hole, which is bad bad bad!
    But having a friend shout helpful abuse at me to stop doing it is helping

I love this forum, you can get some really good advice