Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maiden mare - age?

Default Maiden mare - age?

What age would you say would be the latest possible breeding age for a maiden mare?
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

Interested to see replies from experienced 'mare owners'..... I know people who put mares into foal for the first time in their early 20s! I think that's a little late.
    Bridlework & saddlery - Hand-made & hand-stitched, made from the finest English leather. ALL items individually made to order / made to measure. See our work here: http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/u...ihar/Saddlery/
    Contact us: kis-vihar@hotmail.com

My boss put her Merryn in foal at 16 - has owned her since she was a youngster so knows it was her first time. Her daughter is now a gorgeous, fit, healthy 5-year-old and Merryn is back competing at 1.20m and winning TREC championships Merryn was a very fit mare though with no known health conditions and had always been fighting fit, so putting her in foal at 16 probably wasn't a major gamble.

Thanks, would be interesting to hear others opinions too, im just weighing up my options at the moment.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

i've always been told 15 as a ball park figure but i suppose it all depends on the actual mare and her fitness etc etc

Fertility declines slightly at 12 according to my vet, so can get harder to conceive from then on.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

I suppose it all depends on the mare - mares are being put into foal first time later and later as they are having a 'career' first.

At the stud we've seen it become more and more common to be having mares in at 15+ for first foal, provided that they are fit and healthy and that a scan doesn't show any problems then we're happy to take them. We did turn away a 19yo mare but that was based on her condition at the time.

We have covered 15 year old maiden mares and they have foaled with no problems, i would be wary of covering any maidens much older than that

Quote Originally Posted by madlady View Post
    I suppose it all depends on the mare - mares are being put into foal first time later and later as they are having a 'career' first.
    Like humans

I think so long as the mare is fit and healthy 15-18 years? Possibly more

My mare was 12 when I put her infoal (if she had been any older I wouldn't have BTW) and she'd had quite a tough working life prior to that, she was perfectly healthy though. Shes aged physically about 5 years though.

Its relative as with anything though. 12 is the ballpark figure my vets abide by.

Foaling is a risk anyway, and the older they are, the bigger the risk with a maiden.

Not only does their fertility start to drop, but estrogen levels which effect muscle elasticity .. there was a mid-teens broodie last year who split her abdominals when foaling... think guts hanging out in a sac of skin underneath her stomach

My mare was fit when I put her infoal and I wanted to keep working her, but rise in estrogen levels effect muscle elasticity aswell, and she started dropping her quarters over poles, I knew it was time to stop riding her, and that was very early in her term, about 1/3rd of the way through.

Its not a risk I'd take with a good working mare... there are plenty of people with retired mares that are prepared to take the risk though.