Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and hints for trimming, plaiting pampering for the show ring!

Default Tips and hints for trimming, plaiting pampering for the show ring!

Could mods make this a sticky pretty please?

I will start at the horses head.
    Whiskers around muzzle need to be removed the day before a show (check for specific breed rules). I use hairdressing clippers which have a set of guards on them.
    Hair in the ears should be clipped out like this. Please be careful if you have not done this before. I hold the ear down so that the hair does not go down the earhole and use a baby wipe to get any loose hairs after. You can use scissors if your horse does not like clippers.

You can clip white face markings and blend hair in with coloured part of face.This makes the blaze stand out more.
    Clip a small bridle path behind the ears for bridle head piece to sit.
    Beards need to be carfully removed with clippers, I do hand strip cat hairs under the jaw wearing rubber gloves
    For m+ms you fold the ear together and trim any hair of that is sticking out.

Thanks mods
    The mane needs to be pulled so that you can get plaits of equal size and thickness along the neck. I use a dog comb to pull. You need to look at your horse/ponys neck conformation to work out how many plaits are needed. Show ponies , hacks and riding horses want small and neat, hunters can be more chunky. If your horse has a weak neck you need to roll your plaits so that they sit up on the neck more. I clip or scissor and comb any small bits of mane at the base of the neck. If your horse has a sparse mane keep any pulled hair to make falsies Also dont cut a bridle path, pull hair over from top of mane to use in your front plait. I wash the mane at least two days before a show and rinse thoroughly so that it is easier to plait and not slippy. Try not to get any coat shine product on it.

Another tip for plaiting a horse with a weak neck is to also make the middle plait sections wider.Traditionally you do an odd number of plaits along the neck, 7,9 ,11.If you have a long necked horse do fewer plaits so 7 or 9 and if you have a short necked horse 11 or more. I have done 13 BUT I hate it as I am superstitious! Can you guess which plaits are falsies?
    Last edited by spot; 12-05-2010 at 13:01.

The legs. For non M+Ms you need to comb and scissor or clip hair from down the back of the legs and around the hoof. I personally clip at least two weeks before a show. I first go with the hair and then against. It does take practice so that it looks natural rather than clipped. Again I use my hair dressing clippers with a guard on. It is acceptable to clip white legs regardless.

I finish of by trimming with scissors around the coronet band.
    Last edited by spot; 12-05-2010 at 12:50.

Brilliant advice, spot
    Thank you!!

Is this a sticky it needs to be.

I could of changed loads of things about Grace Sunday didnt know what I was suppose to do lol

I trim ergots with scissors and put vaseline on chesnuts and leave for a couple of days, they then peel and flake of easily. At a show I put baby oil or black makeup on the chesnuts depending on their colour.I trim any hair around the chesnuts with scissors.

Just be carefull when doing this. B is used to this faffing. I have just realised that we have similar hair colouring

great post

what do you think of these things? honey has an irrational fear of scissors so used these to do her whiskers and worked a treat

also - i LOVE quick plait what a fabulous product

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    great post

what do you think of these things? honey has an irrational fear of scissors so used these to do her whiskers and worked a treat

also - i LOVE quick plait what a fabulous product
    I have actually shaved a ponies whiskers before You have to be careful they dont get razor burns Very good idea Rosie if it gets the job done without stress.

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Very good idea Rosie if it gets the job done without stress.
    it gest the job done without injury to rosie - far more important