Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and hints for trimming, plaiting pampering for the show ring!

Tail lengh. This is a hard one. You need to look at how your horse naturally holds their tail, some have a higher carriage than others. I use two steps to get it perfect. I firstly wrap it around the back leg and cut.

Kane holds his tail much higher when being ridden than B does so I take his of at the point of the hock and hers at the base of the hock. Do this when the tail is dry (as Shanzee has mentioned) because it shrinks when the tail dry`s. I then get a helper to hold the tail up at the dock at the horses natural carriage height and trim with scissors or clippers to get a straight edge. Show cobs tend to have tails shorter. I gradually pull the top of the tail over weeks using dog comb, pliers and rubber gloves Again be carefull if your horse is not used to it. Put the tail over a stable door or put a stack of straw bales in front of you.
    I wash the tail initially with washing up liquid and then with a human colour enhanced shampoo from the supermarket. I use a hair brush to brush them with and a conditioner ( my favourite is showsheen) The tail is plaited and folded up to keep clean before a show. I have invested in tail bags this year It is much better to take to little of than to much, so if you are not sure ere on the side of caution.

Oooh brilliant post. How should I plait this neck?
    It looks rubbish when he's just got his head sticking out, but looks better when he's working. I always think his mane makes his neck look measley.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...o/DSC00851.jpg
    http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...o/DSC00853.jpg

(linked not to distract from thread)

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011

ooh we need 1/4 markings next

ETA - oooh kane tail need more piccies of kane too

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    ooh we need 1/4 markings next

ETA - oooh kane tail need more piccies of kane too
    Hold on I need daughter to do quarter marks and sharks teeth, I am useless at them.She does a much better job. I will take pics tomorow Rosie, I will do a rough post on them for you for the weekend
    And Kanes tail was minging in the pic above! I washed it yesterday.
    Will that do Rosie!

Thanks, looking forward to plaiting and quarter marks / sharks teeth installments!

Next enstalment just for Rosie quarter marks. Do you know how difficault it is to take pictures in one hand and do quarter marks with the other?
    Get a wet body brush add some baby oil and brush the hair flat.

Then using your dog comb comb down against the hair. Again you need to look at your horse/ponys conformation to judge how many stripes you use. You dont necessarily have to use them especially if your horse has a weak behind. They are there to enhance and draw the judges eye to a good bum I dont do quarter marks on greys, spotties or coloureds. They dont look right on these coloured horses.

ooh i think honey's derrier could take 3

The above are basic quarter marks for Hunters, Riding horses ,cobs and Hunter ponys.
    For showponies and Hacks you use the chequerboard effect quarter marks. Again brush the hair flat with water and oil. Then raid your mums kitchen for a?..... wait for FORK

You finish of by spraying with hairspray. I am useless at sharks teeth so I will have to wait for Smallhunter to does those for me

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    ooh i think honey's derrier could take 3
    Have a play around Rosie, you can do little squares within the stripes but just keep it simple to start.And this is just for you, Kane sulking because I did not use him as a model

Ohhh, don't you use a stencil?