Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first go at Western Riding in Tennessee *pics*

Default My first go at Western Riding in Tennessee *pics*

My OH and I went to Nashville for a few days for a friends wedding. While we were there we managed to book a 1 1/2 hr trail ride at a local barn called Juro Stables in Mount Juliet, TN. My OH has never ridden before and i would probably say has a dislike of horses (especially after all the trouble i've had with them ). I booked in for a ride and somehow the guide, Louis, managed to talk OH in to coming along

Arrived at barn

I rode Cherokee

And OH rode Smokey

Off we go with our guide, Louis

We stopped at a field with a few obstacles in, i went off and had a go at neck reining round poles and had a play in the field while Louis taught my OH the basics. We carried on for a bit, then stopped to pose for pics..

I went in front for quite away so that i could go off and have a canter while Louis stayed back with my OH. We then got to another field where i could go off and do what i wanted and Louis gave my OH a try at canter. Smokey was so good, he followed Louis horse in a real slow steady canter and my OH really enjoyed it

The horse Louis was riding was a Paso Fino called Django and i was lucky enough to get offered a try! So i got on and took him round the field a couple of times, it was amazing to feel the different gait, even his canter was totally smooth

Sadly it came to an end and we had to hand the horses back, i would have stuffed Cherokee in my suitcase had she of fit!

Met some of the other horses before we left..

Had an amazing day, and best of all is that my OH actually enjoyed it and would go again

Here's a link to Juro Stables Facebook group, lots of fantastic pics!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mt-Jul...4924538?ref=ts

Hoilday cottage in Teesdale- www.thecote.co.uk

The chestnut in the 2nd to last photo with the blaze looks like Harold! Do you know what breed they were?

Looks fab!

I am sooooo Jealous!!! Can't wait for our western experience in summer!! Yeeehaw!!!! haha
    Equine Sport Massage

www.chiron-equine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    The chestnut in the 2nd to last photo with the blaze looks like Harold! Do you know what breed they were?

Looks fab!
    They were Belgian Drafts, there's 3 that look similar called Stella, Pauline and Claire!

That is one chunky paso fino
    However it is a fascinating gait ... I just find it so odd .... coming from someone that rides an icelandic

Looks like you had a great time, and bet your OH loved feeling like a cowboy
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

Quote Originally Posted by CER View Post
    That is one chunky paso fino
    However it is a fascinating gait ... I just find it so odd .... coming from someone that rides an icelandic

Looks like you had a great time, and bet your OH loved feeling like a cowboy
    He was lovely and the bond he had with Louis was quite sweet, whenever we stopped for a break he just wanted cuddles with Louis. Apparently as soon as he hear's Louis he comes straight over to see him.

This is the first Paso Fino i have seen, not really read much about them either. Found this pic though and he looks quite chunky as well..
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ay_of_2006.JPG

Just read apparently they can be between 13hh and 16hh, either 'very stocky or stream lined'.. quite interested to go have a read up now

It was great just seeing my OH actually enjoy himself, the best bit is they gave him a little twig/stick to use if Smokey started to slow down, he kind of held it sticking in the air until it slowly broke away, i think you can see it in one of the pics, not quite sure what he was supposed to do with it

Looks great fun

I tried western riding in usa but had to hold my hand english stylely

Glad your OH enjoyed himself, might have to have a his and hers one day

Quote Originally Posted by essexlady View Post
    Looks great fun

I tried western riding in usa but had to hold my hand english stylely

Glad your OH enjoyed himself, might have to have a his and hers one day
    I must admit i had to as well when cantering.. just felt weird otherwise. Having a Western lesson for Kazrider's birthday with a couple of other member's on here, so perhaps i'll learn properly then!

I must admit it did feel strange when I first started riding western, but now I'm used to it don't think I would do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by atd87 View Post
    I must admit it did feel strange when I first started riding western, but now I'm used to it don't think I would do anything else.
    I did really enjoy it and felt it was a more laid back way of riding, but after hoping on Django half way through in an english saddle i definitely thought i could feel more of what the horse was doing then in western tack, definitely something i'd be interested in doing again though