Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancelot du lac

Default Lancelot du lac

:-)
    I've been thinking about an update diary for a while now. I'm sure Lance would like the attention!

I bought Lance as a 3yo unbacked monkey, six months after the death of my beloved Rambo.
    Lance was a gypsy-bred colt from the officious sales at the side of New Forest auction, but I bought him from the lady that "rescued" him. I say "rescued" because although he was in fairly good condition when I got him, his teeth, feet and behaviour were dreadful!
    Lance was everything I didn't want - under 7 years, under 15.2hh, cobby ... but his cheeky nature attracted me at once.

This is the first photo I took of my new monkey!

Last edited by Soot; 21-09-2009 at 20:37. Reason: fixing links

Just me can't see the photo? I want sexy Lance!!!

I can't either

Yay Lance! If you tild your head 90 degrees to the left, Lance's blob on his side looks like an old man

Default The first 8 months

In the first eight months, Lance and I got to know each other - we went on long walks around the fields and bridleways, exploring the world together. I had his feet looked at be an EP and decided to try the barefoot thang; I had his teeth rasped; his vaccinations; got him registered with CHAPS -- generally spent a fortune into turning him into a decent member of society!

Feeding him up

Walkies

Then progressing to long reining outside ...

Though sometimes he was lazy ...

Default Finally some real work

He grew into himself ...

... and finally, at the end of the spring I backed him! Through the summer, I've mostly left him out with the herd, dragging him in only twice a week for some ridden or long reining work.

In July we went to our first show, and took home lots of prizes! He behaved very well, took everything in his stride ...

In hand youngstock champion

Ridden coloured - placed 4th!
    Last edited by Soot; 21-09-2009 at 20:50.

Default Our first clear round!

We even did a sort of clear round this summer ... thought silly me knocked one down haha!

Default September 2009

Part I

Can't believe how much my little man has grown! Soon he'll be ready to go out and about to start seeing the world! And yes, of course I always look down at his mane when I ride; he's so darn handsome, how could I possibly look anywhere else??

Warming up - how smug do I look?

Some moments of understanding - they don't last for long, but tbh I don't ask him for much - just to be obedient and a little bit supple!

Default September 2009

Part II

Some loss of control - wheeeee!

He's growing a neck!!

Canter!

Love this one - he's a first class face puller!

Overall, I'm very happy with him. He is very downhill and unbalanced still, but he tries soooo hard; e.g. today I asked him for his first ever walk to canter ... and he just did it! And then canter to walk/stand no problem at first ever attempt! Just like that. I was sooooo chuffed! I even have video evidence. Ignore my silly talking - because of all the long reining he's very voice-responsive, so I use that to my advantage!
    Our biggest difficulty is that he likes to go on the forehand and his walk is RUBBISH - if he's in any way excited; i.e. most of the time when I'm riding, he starts camel-walking, almost like his back end is getting too fast for his front! But we're working on it! (And please don't worry - there's absolutely nothing wrong with his back, etc - he's just a typical young cob). Importantly, his brain is in the right place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2JyEw0-JuA

We both have soooo much to learn, but I'm doing my best for him. As soon as I get some transport sorted out, I can start taking him to lessons and hopefully things will become easier. I am hopeful that he'll turn out to be the horse I think he is ... but even if not, he's a good little person!

He's very handsome, I'll definitely be checking back for more updates on him