Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancelot du lac

Well I like Lance he's my kind of horse so I'll be following his progress and I've got to get me one of those saddles too!

Took the boyio on a solo hack today - it's the first time I felt like I was actually riding a real horse rather than sitting on a wonky donkey! He stode out confidently and really used his backend like a real horse & we explored the countryside for about an hour - had two perfect canters (one on each lead, as I'm trying to teach him about leads) and a nice long, brisk trot ...

Was very happy with The Lancelottle!

Sadly, despite the super new girth pad (cost about £29.99 because it's SuperSpeshul!), we have new areas of rawness. No hardness this time, but missing skin . He didn't seem to care so I'm guessing it was only rubbing not pinching. Anyway, that's another week without saddle - going to try him with his leather girth that never used to bother him in a week or so, and then if no joy, I'll call out the saddler to see if we can adjust the girthing or if he can recommend me an even better even more SuperSpeshul anatomical girth or something ...

Other that that - yay Lancelot!

Ah it's lovely to hear how mr lance is growing up. He's my favourite coloured ponio shame about the girth problem, i'm sure you've already tried it but if not i'd try a sheepskin cover, my friend's horse has such a sensitive belly but it's cured the gall problem.

Love the clear round on foot pics too yeyyyy for lance.

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post

Indeed, it's verrrrrry comfortable!
    I have the same for Lucy (in 17.5" medium wide -- Lance is 17" wide)
    I want ur saddle...is it the werth one!???

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

cob_lover Guest

Yay, little lance
    I loved hearing about him on NR...i'll definately be following this thread closely

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    Took the boyio on a solo hack today - it's the first time I felt like I was actually riding a real horse rather than sitting on a wonky donkey! He stode out confidently and really used his backend like a real horse & we explored the countryside for about an hour - had two perfect canters (one on each lead, as I'm trying to teach him about leads) and a nice long, brisk trot ...

Was very happy with The Lancelottle!

Sadly, despite the super new girth pad (cost about £29.99 because it's SuperSpeshul!), we have new areas of rawness. No hardness this time, but missing skin . He didn't seem to care so I'm guessing it was only rubbing not pinching. Anyway, that's another week without saddle - going to try him with his leather girth that never used to bother him in a week or so, and then if no joy, I'll call out the saddler to see if we can adjust the girthing or if he can recommend me an even better even more SuperSpeshul anatomical girth or something ...

Other that that - yay Lancelot!
    I found this with Odie, its not that the girth was in the wrong place, it was areas of skin that just weren't hardened to wearing tack. Happened when I switched from using the girth on a wintec to the girth on my GP, which sits more forward. He had patches of skin whihc looked like the beginnings of girth galls... but I just used a sleeve for a bit. He wasn't getting much regular ridng either, so he was coming out of the field a bit 'soft'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    I found this with Odie, its not that the girth was in the wrong place, it was areas of skin that just weren't hardened to wearing tack. Happened when I switched from using the girth on a wintec to the girth on my GP, which sits more forward. He had patches of skin whihc looked like the beginnings of girth galls... but I just used a sleeve for a bit. He wasn't getting much regular ridng either, so he was coming out of the field a bit 'soft'.
    that sounds reassuring and very likely to be our problem -- he's just still a bit of a baby, I guess ... I think the nice big flat leather girth is very comfy for him so we never had a prob, but then with a slightly thinner girth there was clearly a different, more localised pressure!

He is yummy!

Good news -- with new expensive leather, flat, anatomical, etc, dressage girth, Lance has now been gall free through 5 rides ... I consider the problem solved *TOUCH WOOD* ....

Exciting things have been happening. Firstly, we've been on one 3.5 hours and one 2 hours ride on the South Downs. Have met sheep, cows, feral Exmoor ponies .... Lance has been very excited by it all, but taken it in his stride. He worries more about the wind in his ears (really doesn't like that!) than about the environment. Might have to get him a little hat for hacking (!) ... And Secondly ....
    We're signed up for a flatwork clinic ... then two weeks later our first dressage test !!

Well, this WOULD have been a nice photo if I hadn't lent forwards to do god knows what at the critical moment .... but it shows what a lovely calm boy he's being, even in the middle of nowhere!

bless him!! don't forget to mention him NOT flinching at the HUGe tractor with the two BIG STINKY trailers yesterday either