Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse Abortions

Default Horse Abortions

This sounds like a silly question, but is it possible for a horse to have an abortion?

Yes, I think - isn't that often done when a mare is carrying twins?

yep it is possible. just think when they are carrying twins the vet will pinch one out so that there isnt a multiple birth. if there is a genetic condition or whatever, short of yes they can!

You can physically pinch out one feotus when it's tiny, literally crush it. or you can inject the mare if your timing is good.

Ohh I seee.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    You can physically pinch out one feotus when it's tiny, literally crush it. or you can inject the mare if your timing is good.
    That sounds terrible!
    "The Horse is never wrong."

Also, say the feotus is starting to develop and is like a really mini horse and it has to be aborted, how do they get it out?

I feel like such a weirdo asking but i've never really known

Never had that scenario to deal with. I'll ask t' vetinary, something one ought to know.

Quote Originally Posted by antonia :) View Post
    Also, say the feotus is starting to develop and is like a really mini horse and it has to be aborted, how do they get it out?

I feel like such a weirdo asking but i've never really known
    I assume it would be the same as a human abortion and they would put the mare in labour and the foal would be born in the "normal" way, except obviously its tiny, and dead didnt know that you could abort a foal though when it would be developed enough to be foal shaped
    Size 34" Shires Huntingdon Green Tweed Show Jacket for sale as too big. Only worn twice, immaculate condition. Cost 89.99, make me an offer

we have had a mare abort herself. well actually 2 mares.

2 years ago we came in to feed in the morning and found a dead foal in the barn it was probably 5 or 6 months old and was the size of a labrador. obviosuly got vet out straight away. thought it may have been EHV so obviously went onto lockdown until results came through. luckily (well not for foal obviously) it was just that the umbilical cord had been too long and wrapped itself around the foals neck cutting off its blood supply so it died and the mare gave brith to it extremly premeturely and stillborn. a year later though the same mare had a cracking little filly.

and last year one of the people i work with was doing evening yards around 9pm and came in to find one of our pregnant mares sweating buckets about to foal. the foal was 7 or 8 months old and she gave birth to it stillborn, the poor mare was so stressed out and this foal was also born stillborn. the mare was a ratehr stressy type anyway and i cant quite remember what was wrong with this one but think it was soemthing to do with mare freaking out (fireworks i think perhaps??) and twisting so much that the cord knotted. not 100% sure though.

another mare at work, well actually 2 of them this year they get regumate every day throughout their pregnancy otherwise they abort the foal fairly early on.

can honestly say that day we found the dead foal in the barn, i dont think ill ever forget that the poor thing.