Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse Abortions

I got Curly jabbed (2 injections over 2 days) when she got covered by a loose stallion All the other mares ran away and mine spread her legs and squirted everywhere. I was so ashamed
    ♥ ♥ Curly Wurly ♥ ♥
    Sponsor a Retired Racehorse Today! http://www.newbeginningshorses.org.uk/

LOL phoebe is like that! gushing.... and stands there legs a kimbo!! You know what they say about horses and their owners

If you are brave, there are some great sites with pictures of minature horses aborted foals. They list the reasons etc and show the foals at dfferent stages of their growth. Snake-bites, damaged umbilical cords, thick bags etc
    I do have to wonder though why abortions in these miniatures is apparently so common.

There is no equivalent resource for large horses.. because its not that common for them to abort once the foal is past the first 60days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyWurlyRach View Post
    I got Curly jabbed (2 injections over 2 days) when she got covered by a loose stallion All the other mares ran away and mine spread her legs and squirted everywhere. I was so ashamed
    Oh bless her

"I think animal testing is cruel. They get nervous and get all the answers wrong" Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by antonia :) View Post
    Also, say the feotus is starting to develop and is like a really mini horse and it has to be aborted, how do they get it out?

I feel like such a weirdo asking but i've never really known
    You can either induce the labour, or if the foal is in such a position the mare physically couldnt push it out despite veterinary intervention (twist the foetus to allow natural birth) the vet can, and will erm take the foetus out bit by bit. I remember being told about this last year in stud management by a vet and being rather grossed out!
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by ponylover88 View Post
    take the foetus out bit by bit.
    Didn't they used to do that in the 'old days' with women too?

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Didn't they used to do that in the 'old days' with women too?
    As far as I'm aware that can still happen if 'pieces' are too large to be removed through vaccum aspiration. could be wrong though.

I do have to wonder though why abortions in these miniatures is apparently so common.

So do I,

I have known of more than one mini Shetland having to have the foal chopped up inside and removed bit by bit because the idiot owner let a standard stallion get to her, and knowing full well this had happened, let them go to term! In one case the mare died too.

Good management ought to remove the need for late abortions.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyWurlyRach View Post
    All the other mares ran away and mine spread her legs and squirted everywhere. I was so ashamed
    I never had her down as a hussy!
    Please visit my ebay, vets bills to pay! 17.01.2013- NEW THINGS ON EBAY starting at 99p!

I don't know if your question is purely academic or you think it may have happened with your horse but there is a risk of laminitis if a mare loses a foetus suddenly .
    I think they can reabsorb a foetus in the very early days.