Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are we not so picky with our mares?

Friesian80 Guest

Default Why are we not so picky with our mares?

So selecting a stallion can be a complicated and long thought out selection. We spend a long time weighing up whether he is good enough and if he will produce a top class offspring. So why is the selection of the mare not so important?

I heard somewhere that the foal will take 60% of the mares genes and only 40% of the stallions yet the mare is never so well documented and shown off.

Only the best males get to be breeding stallions so why is it not the same for mares?

Because you pick a stallion to improve your mare, you dont pick a mare to improve on the stallion

That said though, any decent stallion owner should be picky about the mares they allow their stallion to cover and any with serious conformation/temperment faults shouldnt be covered IMO.

With friesians the mares are very important in the breeding programmes, and I believe a stallion can only be awarded breeding priviledges if his dam has a good enough pedigree
    What would I do without you, my loyal and precious friend?
    Part mischief, but all blessing, and faithful to the end.

Friesian80 Guest

Yes but even broodmares are selected and used with a much more relaxed opinion on confirmation, however a stallion is scrutinised over thououghly before being classes as good enough to breed from.

(ps im not basing this thread on friesian breeding - just generally)

But good studs should turn down mares that will not improve the breed

And I doubt the genes would be anything but equal, think that's just how it works. but as Una B says; you should pick a stallion to compliment your mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Friesian80 View Post
    Yes but even broodmares are selected and used with a much more relaxed opinion on confirmation, however a stallion is scrutinised over thououghly before being classes as good enough to breed from.
    Not all breeds!

The WPCS can reject a horse from being registered if it has too much white, but if it's a conformational train wreck no-one cares

I'm guessing it's probably because the owners of the mares are the ones paying the money for the use of the stallion - hence their concentration on the best possible stallion.

The people with the stallions I would guess either know more and therefore discuss it less, or are happy to take the money wherever it comes from!

*this is all pure speculation and has no basis in fact or experience *

Quote Originally Posted by Friesian80 View Post

(ps im not basing this thread on friesian breeding - just generally)
    Yeah, I know its a "general" thread, was just commenting on friesians as thats one breed I know about

If you could only breed from a handful of new mares each year (as is the way with friesian stallions as only a few get approved each year) you would soon find some serious problems with the breed as there just wouldnt be enough foals to keep the breed going. I think anyone with any sense wouldnt breed from a mare with any really serious faults.
    What would I do without you, my loyal and precious friend?
    Part mischief, but all blessing, and faithful to the end.

Chromosomes split, so foal gets 50% from one and 50% from the other ... don't think an uneven split can occur! And don't think there is a huge unbalance of genetic info that is either double X or Y ....

... Mostly, people OWN the mare, so they're not selecting her for that reason. They then need to find the most complimentary stallion.
    Stud farms and people who breed for sale, however, will apply a different selection to the mares as will be buying them in with regards to suitability from the offset!

There are a lot of not so great stallions used for breeding as well
    Also, just HOW picky do you want to be? What I mean is, if only the very best mares were ever bred from, there probably wouldn't be enough horses to satisfy demand. For instance, Lou has had two foals and, while she is a lovely mare (I'm a little biased) her conformation is good rather than perfect, and she's never really 'done' anything in terms of competing. But I've met both her foals and they've both grown up to be very nice lads indeed and have made great leisure horses. But if you said only the very best mares would ever be bred from, you probably wouldn't end up with horses like them, if that makes sense

Friesian80 Guest

So why do ppl breed from their mares if they know she has confirmational problems? Cause in my experience it goes on quite a lot, picking a stally who is of good quality doesnt always mean those bad confirmation traits are going to be lost...surely?