Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are we not so picky with our mares?

Quote Originally Posted by UnaB View Post
    Well, I dont know about that! You can however, breed a graded mare with world class breeding to a world class knabstrupper
    And what is your definition of 'worldclass'? BTW I'm not getting at you, I'm genuinely interested.
    For example - there are friesian stallions that have been rated based on the worldwide competition results of their progeny in dressage for example. They usually have a rating no. In the year 2005, they might have been 1st - I don't know, I'm not interested in fresians. Whether or not you mare is bred from these stallions I don't know or care.
    But those fresian stallions have been ranked from the collective results of every nation, in disciplines where a number of breeds were represented. That is 'worldclass'.

There are however, plenty of stallions who use the wording 'worldclass' or 'best in the world' that have recieved no such rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    And what is your definition of 'worldclass'? BTW I'm not getting at you, I'm genuinely interested.
    For example - there are friesian stallions that have been rated based on the worldwide competition results of their progeny in dressage for example. They usually have a rating no. In the year 2005, they might have been 1st - I don't know, I'm not interested in fresians. Whether or not you mare is bred from these stallions I don't know or care.
    But those fresian stallions have been ranked from the collective results of every nation, in disciplines where a number of breeds were represented. That is 'worldclass'.

There are however, plenty of stallions who use the wording 'worldclass' or 'best in the world' that have recieved no such rating.

Well, I can only speak for my friesian. Her father is Brandus 345, widely considered one of the most successful and influential studs of recent times. He competed himself at Z2 level dressage and has produced foals who are also doing this (one notably in Holland who is extremely successful competing at Grand Prix level). Brandus has been awarded the title of "Sport" which means that he has produced a high number of successful competition offspring (Worldwide). He was twice world champion stallion, twice reserve champion and also Champion driving stallion as well as recieving a record NINE 1sst premies - one for every time he has been presented at the World Stallion Show. The FPS can and do revoke these titles and approval so the fact that he has remained an approved, sports stallion proves that he is contining to produce very high quality foals around the world.

Her damsire Jakob 302 has also been awarded the Sport title and also competed at Z2 level dressage.

Una also has what is considered "full papers", in that her damline has all ster-preferent-model mares in the first 3 generations

If you dont agree that is a World Class breeding then yes, our opinions of world class clearly differ I bought Una based purely on her fantastic breeding
    What would I do without you, my loyal and precious friend?
    Part mischief, but all blessing, and faithful to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by UnaB View Post
    Well, I can only speak for my friesian. Her father is Brandus 345, widely considered one of the most successful and influential studs of recent times. He competed himself at Z2 level dressage and has produced foals who are also doing this (one notably in Holland who is extremely successful competing at Grand Prix level). Brandus has been awarded the title of "Sport" which means that he has produced a high number of successful competition offspring (Worldwide). He was twice world champion stallion, twice reserve champion and also Champion driving stallion as well as recieving a record NINE 1sst premies - one for every time he has been presented at the World Stallion Show. The FPS can and do revoke these titles and approval so the fact that he has remained an approved, sports stallion proves that he is contining to produce very high quality foals around the world.

Her damsire Jakob 302 has also been awarded the Sport title and also competed at Z2 level dressage.

Una also has what is considered "full papers", in that her damline has all ster-preferent-model mares in the first 3 generations

If you dont agree that is a World Class breeding then yes, our opinions of world class clearly differ I bought Una based purely on her fantastic breeding
    I read it as Rips was giving an example of truly world class stallions using Freisians - so clearly she DOES agree that is world class breeding . I think it was the 'world class' Knabstrupper she was questioning

Quote Originally Posted by HashRouge View Post
    I read it as Rips was giving an example of truly world class stallions using Freisians - so clearly she DOES agree that is world class breeding . I think it was the 'world class' Knabstrupper she was questioning
    Like I said, I can only speak for my mare and her world class breeding (IMO), if RIPS was referring to other breeds/specific horses then im not really qualified to answer, so i gave her my definition of world class breeding (which she asked for) as i see it with my own horse

ETA: if she was referring to "world class" racehorses/showjumpers not using friesians (i didnt read it as that, but maybe thats what she meant if thats how you read it), then I think that would be more down to the fact that many of those stallions have huge stud fees, often in the tens of thousands of s (and thats just the cheap ones!!), it would be silly to spend that amount of money on a horse like that to use on a friesian mare as as much as i love the breed and I do think they have very good, underrated jumping ability, they will never make world class showjumpers and certainly wouldnt be very good racehorses!! It is forbidden to use an approved friesian stallion on anythning other than a registered Friesian mare so I couldnt say how popular the stallions competing at top levels in dressage are as they wouoldnt be allowed to cover non friesian mares which limits their availability.
    What would I do without you, my loyal and precious friend?
    Part mischief, but all blessing, and faithful to the end.

I didn't think people were un-picky, it's just that you already have your mare usually! Take your sound, mentally stable mare, evaluate all her good and bad points, decide whether she is good enough quality to be bred, whether you have the time and resources for a foal, the purpose and sale-ability of the foal, and pick a stallion to complement her and buffer any slight bad points she may have.
    My peeve with breeding at the moment is the wacky crosses and over use of the label Sporthorse! Does anyone go out looking for a TB x Arab x Shire x Appaloosa, or a Knabstrupper x Andalusian x Clydesdale? Looking at ads recently, seems anything can be called a Sporthorse.

http://pheme.posterous.com/ >>>> stalk me if you want, it's not terribly interesting though!

Quote Originally Posted by Friesian80 View Post
    So why do ppl breed from their mares if they know she has confirmational problems? Cause in my experience it goes on quite a lot, picking a stally who is of good quality doesnt always mean those bad confirmation traits are going to be lost...surely?

Why do folk breed from sheep dogs they KNOW carries the splash gene, why breed a litter of deaf sheepdogs?

Why do folk breed from a mare who has been written off as unsound?

Greed, ignorance, misplaced need to fill some maternal instinct void? Dunno.

I have seen mares with such deformed jaws out to the stallion.

Because if it's got a womb and it ain't doing nothing else bung it in foal far too many mares put in foal for this reaso
    n. Small hunter, how right you are.

We were approached by an infamous person to use our big stallion on her 20 year old mare. We politely told her no thank you.

When Frances and I bought our breeding stock we were told by folk "who know, the ex-spurts" that we were mad and we were being silly spending that much money on mares and stallions.

We never send our stock to the sales and they are all sold privately for a very healthy price. Not 10 in the sale ring.

Breed from crap, you get crap and you get a crap price and a crap reputation.

what small hunter said

i've been asked numerous time if i'll be taking a foal from hnoey - simply because she's a mare - if she was born a colt i'm pretty sure her bits would have been cut off yes i think she's lovely of course - but her confirmation is far from perfect and i have no idea of her breeding - IMHO that's the biggest risk of them all - her parents could have been hideous

i do dream - i do look at lovely stallions and think aww i'd love to have a honey offspring - but in reality i'd never do it - i'd not risk her and i'd rather buy a started horse where someone else has had the risk of getting them alive to that age

there is way too much indescriminate breeding drives me mad

I went therough hell & high water when deciding whether i should prepare & Alfie forward for his New Forest stallion licensing. In the end i thought sod it. If he fails, he will still make a GREAT gelding.

I was incredibly nervous!! He flew through the process and over half the 20 put forward failed. Its a fairly tight process. Firstly a panal of 3 judges who mark him and then add up their scores. If he passes that, then they have to be vetted - at this point they can still fail! Manners are also taken into account, baring in mind most put forward are 2yold colts at their gangly stage where conformation faults always sem more visible.

You can also grade New Forest mares, in a different process.

I bought Mesmo (NF) solely on his breeding, sire a licensed stallion producing winning stock all over the world via AI and a graded dam with show winning stock. I'd bought him in my head before i'd even seen him

When it comes to the time of using Alfie & accepting mares to use him, it's going to be a difficult & testing time but i will be strict. Afterall - it will reflect back on him if he throws a bad foal. I've already got people asking if he's available
    Native pony addict!

Personally I take the mare into account too.

If I had a badly conformed, bad tempered mare, I wouldnt put it to ANY stallion in the world.

Also, as a stallion owner, if I didnt like the mare, I wouldnt allow them to use my boy. Obviously there are many stallion owners that are in it for money and wont care if their 'ugly' stallion is put to an 'ugly' mare, but hey.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain."

I wouldn`t ever breed from Ayla...her sire is crap with terrible confirmation and she`s got Tb, hanoverian and arab in her so not really much point lol she`s got bonding issues with Rox (will not leave her) so I dread to think what she would be like when it came to weaning.....
    have considered breeding from Rox but thats simply because she is CB, has good confirmation and has good CB bloodlines, CB`s are on the rare breed list and we`d keep the foal