Thread: Trec Help!

Default Trec Help!

There is a training day, but im busy unfortunately so need help from you guys.

Its a proper trec, but for novices/beginners so nice and handy. What level would be best, level one or two? Im tempted with level two as its a further POR but the jumps are 10cm bigger, and obviously theres more room for getting lost!

What type of obstacles are they likely to use in the PTV? - she'll trot over wooden bridges, go through water, jump logs, gates... is there anything else i should be aware of? Night before theres a course walk, but thats abit late to start practising!!!

POR (orienteering) - how demanding will it be at a beginner/novice level? Will we need maps? Hopefully i'll be able to get a pair so were not alone, however, hacking alone is something we do well, its just the whole map reading theme which worries me!

COP - how fast/slow do we actually need to be? Obviously as quick as possible for the walk and slow as possible for the canter ... shame its not the other way around as Gems pretty good at fast canter and slow walk!

Is there anything i need to know also?!
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

The maps thing....you go into a room before setting off and have x number of minutes (can't remember how many) to copy a map provided with as many details as possible before you set out...

Obstacles...miriad of stuff! low branches, bending pole type things weaving, reinback in a straight line, canter corridor, ditches, S bends, remounts, all sorts - some are obligatory to be done on foot and others mounted, and others you choose...You've seen my vid of indoor trec right? Some of those are in there. Sometimes you have to do things at walk, sometimes you have a choice but you must complete the obstacle in the gait you started in to score at all - and within those if completed properly, usually canter is most points, trot second most and walk least...

I can't remember the times for the CoP but it's on a sliding scale rather than all or nothing basis. I can talk you through my video with my score sheet if you like so you can see where and why I got marks and where and why I lost them? Dunno if it's any use...

As Peaches says, you dont need your own map. They provide you with one and they will give you a set amount of time to copy the route onto it. As for how tricky it is - it isnt really (but we still got lost and took a whole hour longer than everyone else)

There are about 40 different obstacles to choose from - they will provide 10 so you could have anything. In most cases, you'll get 7 marks for trot, 10 for canter or 5 for walk per obstacle. If you get so much as one hoof out you get zilch. In the control of paces, if you break the walk or the canter you will get zero again (getting zero is really easy)

What you will find though, is that the people are really really friendly and they will help you out as much as possible. We've done a couple of training days now and the folk are great - really welcoming and helpful (even when we were in full idiot mode)

If I can find my rule book I'll come back to you with the times for the COP.
    Horses are for life not just for riding

When is the competition PL? Have you done any training or preparation yet?

For the POR, it's not quiiite as simple as just following a map It's very important that you understand how maps work, distances, contour lines etc, and that you can use a compass, take bearings, know how to recognise which direction you're travelling in and how fast you're going. You will need to be extra, extra careful copying and checking your route in the maproom as it's not so easy to work it out when you're on the horse! Plus there is the time component which is very important. The points you get for the POR depend on how many of the checkpoints you reach, and if you come from the right direction, and the time/speed it has taken you to get there. The POR is trickier than it sounds to do well, and it carries the most weighting in terms of points. TREC competitions are often won or lost on the POR.

The COP carries the least weight but it's still something you can train for. You should be aiming for a steady, collected but at the same time energetic canter, and it needs to be balanced or the horse will break back to trot... also a relaxed, extended walk where the horse really strides out and makes effort instead of just ambling along.

For the PTV there's no knowing which obstacles you'll find yourself faced with, but it will most likely be a combination of mounted and led obstacles. It's not as simple as it sounds - it's not just about being able to do the obstacles, it's more about HOW you do them. You really need to get hold of a rulebook and get a general idea of how certain obstacles are marked. For example, you might think it's easy-peasy to just pop over a little ditch, but the judge will be looking at the style of horse&rider, rider's effectiveness and position, not just whether you got over it or not. Or for a led obstacle - you might have no trouble getting your horse through/over/under/across it but if you haven't secured your stirrups and taken the reins over your horse's head, you won't score well!

TREC is great fun. I'd go for the lowest level for your first time, just to get a taster for how it's done. You're right that the course walk will be too late to train,
    but it's very important to make the effort to walk it anyway, to familiarise yourself with the course and know in advance which obstacles you're going to have trouble with. But if your horse is well-behaved, easygoing, and willing (and trusts you!) you will be fine