Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some fast growing, horse friendly trees?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are some fast growing, horse friendly trees?

I am thinking of planting a tree or 2 in the horses field to create more shade. What are some fast growing, shade trees that are horse friendly? One field in particular gets quite wet in winter...

Post Thanks / Like

wettish areas - willow and poplar should thrive. You would have to check officially if they are toxic at all. Don't think they are, have seen loads of them in horses fields over the years with no ill effects. Willow especially does well in wetter ground.
    Ash also fairly good and fastish growing too. My lot took the tops off all the ash trees in our field over the winter and they are coming back with a vengence !! Nice and shady now lol

Post Thanks / Like

Willow isn't toxic Phil says it's yummy too

Oh and the leaves supposedly contain a natural asprin

Post Thanks / Like

Willow bark is how we used to get aspirin, obviously synthetic these days.

This is a thread for Heucherella-she needs something to keep her occupied while she waits for her pony!

Post Thanks / Like

ooo interesting thank you - Heucherella come here and help!!

Post Thanks / Like

How about a horse chestnut or a sweet chestnut? Both grow big so will give plenty of shade...one day! Or Hornbeam. Or for something smaller a native cherry or crab apple?

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your suggestions, i really dont know anything about trees! are any of those fast growing? else where i have been suggested are Sycamore
    and beech are both wind tolerant, and will cast good shade, as well as being reasonably fast growing. Various conifers will do a good job too..so I have been told

Post Thanks / Like

Conifers won't have a canopy, so don't cast much shade. Beech is similar to hornbeam, but needs drier soil, so hornbeam would be better for you. Sycamore is another possibility, but isn't native, so not so good for wildlife.

The bigger trees like these, and the chestnuts. will be quite fast growing - more so than the ornamental things grown for gardens, where people want small trees that grow slowly. It will still be a few years before they cast much shade, but are still very much worth planting. The world needs trees. You will need to protect them while they are small from the horses and deer - think little wooden pens like you see in parks.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much for your help, I def want to get some, what about willow as well? I am off to google these trees you said

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really think of willows as shade trees as such - they don't make a nice canopy - except for the weeping willow, which is rather hard to squeeze a horse under