Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schooling Pictures

Default Schooling Pictures

Just thought i'd post some pictures of Sultan doing a schooling session. Critique very welcome. Hes come back to dressage after 18 months off because of an injury. He is currently competing at prelim level dressage. And as you can probably see from the photos I have a very bad habit of leaning forward!!! And the schooling is still work in progress after his long holiday!

You both look great! I hope he continues in his recovery and comes back to full form

what a lovely horse liking the colour of his numah how big is the sand school?

Your horse is lovely!
    Please don't take this the wrong way but is your saddle a good fit? The only reason I ask is it looks to be putting you right at the back of the saddle on the cantle. That would explain why you are leaning forward as well. It's just an observation, and you can't tell a lot from a couple of photos -just thought I'd put it out there

He is gorgeous!

I think your leaning forwards could be due to the short stirrups

He is a lovely looking horsea and is working pretty well You need to work on the canter as both of you are 'motorbiking' the corners a little bit - halt to canter on corners can be good for picking up round a corner, as can pole fans in the corners.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'd say you're actually too tall for him - it doesn't look a particularly forward cut saddle and you are right back on the cantle with your knees right up. I was going to suggest putting your stirrups down which will help, but I think to have your correct length is not going to be possible really...

Sorry
    Visit Mico

Quote Originally Posted by Elly Koopman View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'd say you're actually too tall for him - it doesn't look a particularly forward cut saddle and you are right back on the cantle with your knees right up. I was going to suggest putting your stirrups down which will help, but I think to have your correct length is not going to be possible really...

Sorry
    I don't actually think anyone can be too tall for a horse/pony (too heavy, but not too tall -just look at Fox-Pitt!) I'd definitely be interested to see the saddle without a rider and see if it's level. Then do some work without stirrups and see if you can get your stirrups down a couple of holes

Well you can *look* too tall for a horse/pony (cough*me*cough) but as long as the horse is happy, you're happy and you're not too heavy then there's not really a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by emmathechief View Post
    I don't actually think anyone can be too tall for a horse/pony (too heavy, but not too tall -just look at Fox-Pitt!)

I was thinking more for the saddle in terms of height and how much space there is on the horse for a bigger saddle. I personally think that even if Annabel put down her stirrups, the length between her knee and hip is too long for that saddle, and I'm not sure there is much more room to go back on the horse in terms of a longer seat.

It might be worth going down the route of getting a saddle with a flatter seat so that there is a bit more room for manouvre, but without lengthening the actual saddle...
    Visit Mico

Thanks for all the comments guys. I know i'm too tall for him really.. but not too heavy i hope! I doubt it though how he speeds around...! I've had him since he was 5 and hes had alot of vet issues (can no longer jump) partly why i never sold him when i got my bigger guy but also i love him too much to sell him!

Re saddle... there isn't really anything i can do about it. I bought his current saddle from a master saddler and had it professionally fitted. The problem is i can't go bigger than a 17inch as hes too short backed. And he is a really weird shape (more like a table according to the saddler!) and because of his shape he can't have a forward cut saddle, therefore he has an Ideal Working Hunter. Which makes life difficult for me because i have really long thighs!

And i'm not sure how big the school is! I will find out though. My Dad should know.

And this is another picture of us at a dressage comp. Does this one look any better re the saddle?