Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: arthritis

i think im just worried its going to make it hurt , as turning just slightly hurts at the minute,
    but iv got to start doing , so it starts helping

well the point of physio is that they find something that helps you without hurting you. even if its justa tens machine (sends electrical impulses through your back to relax it) or gently massaging they should find soemthing. and i was worried it would hurt as i struggle to get up from lying down and stuff but they will go nice and slwoly and ask constantly whether you are ok and if that hurts!! so yeah i guess before you have a go you wont know really. how does it affect you riding out of interest? as i have good days where i can go hunting and bad days where i can barely wlak about on the horse!

I have/had osteo arhtritis (apologies for poor spelling, am tired) have just had joint replaced because of it. (2 weeks ago)

sitting or standing still are the two worst things you can do for your joint OA, mobilising is the absolute key, the longer you move the easier it is.... I used to work in a shop, standing at the counter for 5 hours would cripple me, but working round the horses was much better or walking dogs.. as long as it was in a straight line, on an even level...

I was referred for physio and when i eventually got an appointment, four months later, it was too late, the damage had set in and the physio made it worse.

Please dont shoot me down for saying this, I do see where you're coming from, but saying that you cannot take glucosamine or chondriton because you're a veggie is no excuse. Do you refuse to take certain possibly life saving medications from your dr, because they interfere with your eating beleifs? unless you can get your RDA of this to help your diseased joints, then not taking them is leading to the early-than-need-be rotting of your joint. something that could be slowed down by these supplements is being made worse by you not taking them. I dont know how old you are, but beleive me, you dont want to be going through a joint replacement if you dont have too. Im not having a go at you because you're a veggie, I know plenty who are veggie, but take the supplements because it keeps thier joints healthy.

Heat can help joint pain, as can Ice.... also massaging can also help as it relaxes the tension in the muscles/tendons/ligaments that are responsible for the tightening up which causes pain... short lived, but oh so enjoyable at the time....

i have arthritis in my neck, hands, lower back, hips and lower leg, (all horse riding accident related) i have have been feeling the pain more with the cold weather, i take naproxen 500gm with solphadol (500gm paracetamol and 30gm codene) and walk about with a drugged of my face look however i dont feel the pain for a short period of time.

i have found that my memory foam pillows and mattress topper really helps, i have a pillow under my legs or between my knees when i sleep and i have also just ordered a joint supplement.
    i ordered it from nature best as they do a veggie glocousimine (sp) that might be alright for you, i noticed when ordering mine the other night.

sunshine when riding i go numb but hurt like hell when i get off, but never know if its from my stroke or the arthritis ,

i tend to do things at my own speed and very gratefull to have a brilliant horse , who requires voice commands only,

was only on sunday when i went out on val and had my daughter on her pony, i was giving her a lesson on road saftey , we stopped at a junction and said, before going ascross at the junction, you have to look left and then right and then do it again before crossing, my beautiful mare was looking left and right as i was giving my daughter the instructions, made my daughter and i laugh, just goes to show how well she is to voice commands,

getting off hurts loads, mounting not to bad as i have had a mounting block made with steps

il be looking for the veggie alternative at the weekend

i do most of the looking after of my 4 horses myself, even if it takes all day, so i am mobile , just a slower pace

sunshine when riding i go numb but hurt like hell when i get off, but never know if its from my stroke or the arthritis ,

i tend to do things at my own speed and very gratefull to have a brilliant horse , who requires voice commands only,

was only on sunday when i went out on val and had my daughter on her pony, i was giving her a lesson on road saftey , we stopped at a junction and said, before going ascross at the junction, you have to look left and then right and then do it again before crossing, my beautiful mare was looking left and right as i was giving my daughter the instructions, made my daughter and i laugh, just goes to show how well she is to voice commands,

getting off hurts loads, mounting not to bad as i have had a mounting block made with steps

il be looking for the veggie alternative at the weekend Julz its my choice not to take stuff thats from animals, i respect your opinion and your beliefs , but i wont be taking glusomine, il be finding an alternative, btw im 44 years old

i do most of the looking after of my 4 horses myself, even if it takes all day, so i am mobile , just a slower pace

at 44 it is likely that the arthritis will be a secondary disease instead of primary. which i am assuming could be as a result of your stroke or from a riding accident or soemthing? i am only 17 and suffer from it, but they think mine is also secondary due to having a horse fall on me twice out hunting last season, and from another accident 2 years previosuly. horses are dangerous i guess but i cant imagine ever not riding!! let em know if you do find veggie alternatives as would be interesting to compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by colleen View Post

il be looking for the veggie alternative at the weekend Julz its my choice not to take stuff thats from animals, i respect your opinion and your beliefs , but i wont be taking glusomine, il be finding an alternative, btw im 44 years old

I didnt know you could get vegetarian glucosamine... that's great if you can find it

At 44, you're just two years older than me..... hope you get a lot more time out of your joints than i did... My knee has been getting worse steadily over the last year, before it just "went" now here i am two weeks post op and hating it.

As for getting off... do you dismount the regualr way or by putting affected leg over the neck and sliding off that way... or is it another part of you that's affected?

I was restircited to what painkillers i take as alot of them dont agree with me, morphine included!! (it doesnt make me sick as it does with others, but it makes my BP plummet and causes me to pass out when attempting to get up)

Sunshine - i wouldnt have thought that you'd have much arthrtis due to horses falling on you.. indeed arthritis can and does creep on you after crush injuries, but usually it is years after... as in my case.. I can only give advice based on what I have been through, (which is a hell of a lot) but you are short of diagnosing Colleens situation. Im all for supporting each other and swopping notes on what works for whoever, but please leave the diagnostics for the professionals.

i dismount onto the mounting block slowly the normal leg over the back,and drop slowly onto the mounting block, but have noticed i cant get my leg high enough over the last few months, to avoid touching her rump, im not sure if i can go the other way ie over the neck, worth a try though

iv not tried morphine as yet, Gp told me if i dont get on with the pethidine morphine is next

colleen.. might be worth popping stirrup up a hole or two to get the clearance needed to get off... (that is by standing up in left stirrup, then getting right leg over the cantle, then freeing left leg then dropping down) when I ride narrow horses, this is what I have to do, but with wider ones I pop left leg over the neck, and slide down the off shoulder. It's horrible the first few times, but when horse gets used to new routine, they are generally happy to let you do this. Seamus was brill at it.. he used to put his head down so i could get my leg over, then bring head up again to balance me out, and give mehis neck to hold on too... Miss him loads