Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponies Eligible for M&M Classes

When I used to go to pony club, we were taught that a Connemara was a British Native Breed

Ireland is still classed as the 'British isles' is it not???

Or has the republic been snipped off and towed away???

Maybe this is why it has been classed as a british native pony??? I am sure it wasnt done just to annoy those of us who live in ROI??? I mean us Scots could get upset at the fact that the Eriskay ISNT classed as native or M+M at shows so those who have this lovely little pony have to go up again show bred ponies and welsh sec As in LR and first ridden.

I mean come on its only a description thread after all

Nikki xxx

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    But think of those handsome men in kilts bending over to hoof pick out then tiny shetties feet
    Where??? I know a lot of male Shetland breeders and owners, and my mental image of any of them mooning in a kilt has made me feel queasy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Where??? I know a lot of male Shetland breeders and owners, and my mental image of any of them mooning in a kilt has made me feel queasy!
    Oi! Don't spoil a wonderful fantasy image!
    Couch to 5k - week 4 day 2 done
    Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred - day 4 done
    Zumba - week 1 done

Feeling: achey!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik+Kia+Eowyn View Post
    Ireland is still classed as the 'British isles' is it not???

Or has the republic been snipped off and towed away???

Maybe this is why it has been classed as a british native pony??? I am sure it wasnt done just to annoy those of us who live in ROI??? I mean us Scots could get upset at the fact that the Eriskay ISNT classed as native or M+M at shows so those who have this lovely little pony have to go up again show bred ponies and welsh sec As in LR and first ridden.

I mean come on its only a description thread after all

Nikki xxx
    The British Isles is an outdated termed only used by people in Britain!!

We are not attached to or part of Britain!!

Hence the term the 'United Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' , since Northern Ireland is a country in its own right, as are Wales and Scotland.

In response your reply, not the OP ... Why can't you be respectful of another country? I wouldn't dream of calling a Scottish person 'English' ... this is no different.

And once again in response to the OT, the connemara is not a british pony, end of. Its perfectly simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post

We are not attached to or part of Britain!!

Hence the term the 'United Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' , since Northern Ireland is a country in its own right, as are Wales and Scotland.

In response your reply, not the OP ... Why can't you be respectful of another country? I wouldn't dream of calling a Scottish person 'English' ... this is no different.

And once again in response to the OT, the connemara is not a british pony, end of. Its perfectly simple.
    Hate to tell you its NOT just a BRITISH term

Its use to describe THIS set of islands which includes all the little islands including the channels etc

Oh and at what point was I 'DIS-Respectful.

My opinion if you dont like it then i am afraid that its not really my concern. There is no real need to get so het up about it Rips no-one is dissing your homeland, no-one is even saying that what was written above is gospel, I certainly didnt I just offered an explanaition as to WHy they may be called 'British' native ponies.

I think you need to take a step back and LOOK at what is posted before you start accusing people if not repsecting peoples homelands. i am Scottish not english yet I just 'tell' people I am not english I dont accuse them of being disrespectful of my homeland for doing it

Yeesh honestly haha

Nikki xxx

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

The British Isles is a geographical term which includes two large islands, Great Britain and Ireland, and 5,000 small islands, most notably the Isle of Man which has its own parliament and laws.

NB. The association of the term British with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as well as its association with the island of Great Britain causes the term to be regarded as objectionable or inappropriate to many people in Ireland when it is used to include Ireland.
    http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...itishisles.htm (also backed up by many other sources)

The OP is correct in including the Connemara as a British Native Pony. However as the second part of the quote above shows, many people use 'British' and 'UK' interchangeably with the effect of putting the emphasis on GB, which may help to show why Rips dislikes the term. Nonethless, the OP is correct in her post.
    Couch to 5k - week 4 day 2 done
    Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred - day 4 done
    Zumba - week 1 done

Feeling: achey!

some people need to get a grip i dont think the OP was purposfully insulting another country- i think some people are taking this fairly inane thread way too personally
    and frankly if i was the OP i would be hacked off that i had spent ages creating this really good thread, and all people could do is criticise it...
    http://i55.tinypic.com/10dsdhd.jpg
    2001-2011
    Sleep tight Cloud, I miss you more than words can say

i thought the OP had just assembled it from things other people had written on other sites, i didnt realise she's spent ages writing it herself

but why shouldnt people have opinions on it? isnt that the point of it being posted on a forum thread?
    I dont think Rips is over-reacting personally, people get upset about different things, other people wouldnt like it if they were upset about something and were told to get a grip and stop over-reacting
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    ' , since Northern Ireland is a country in its own right, as are Wales and Scotland.
    ooh dear, i dont think anyone meant any offence. and while i agree - Ireland is a country in its own right. but erm.. Scotland is part of the UKGB, there may be a Scottish Parliament but we are not our own country in its own right, Scotland is not independent.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland

taken from dear old woodlands junior school - bless them

The British Isles are occupied by two nations:

1. United Kingdom - a union of:

England
    Scotland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland
    2.Republic of Ireland