Thread: Youngstock condition

Default Youngstock condition

Our grass has been very late coming this year and the hay is poor quality after the harsh winter as well . As a result our youngsters (yearlings to 3 yos) have been a bit slower than hoped in picking up condition. Some look a bit raggedy, even ... They've all been on good feed and none are underweight as such, just not as full and shiny and round as you'd expect for June. They're on unlimited but coarse grazing, which normally is the best balance for these babes, but just wondered what other people thought?

Would you feed up youngsters or do that put extra stress on growing joints?
    Let nature do its thing and let them grow at their own pace?

They've all had worm counts recently and everything ok on that front!

wouldn't feed up as such but would feed oil until adequate grass etc

If it was Kaiser, I would feed him up, but thats only as he has gradings and futurities etc.

Is there any way they could have mineral licks or something, and maybe an 'oily' feed?

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain."

Been looking into mineral licks for the whole field actually -- I think with the slow grass all the ponios would benefit
    .... the littlies are all on youngstock mixes with chaff, sugarbeet + maybe other bits and bobs (I don't get hugely involved and feeds are usually already made) ....

I'm blaming the crap hay. We swapped them all to haylage for a while and the quality of that is quite rubbish ... though we're being promised new shiny stuff, but knowing Lady Luck it'll probably be too green to feed when it finally arrives!

I feed a balancer all year, Top Spec
    Native pony addict!

My vet was an advocate of slow growth for youngsters but advised Surelimb with a bit of chaff if needed.
    Spring and summer are riding a piebald mare. (Russian Proverb)

I like D&H Suregrow, all the same stuff as top spec balancer but less than half the price!

Same here my two are having a handful of hifi and youngstock mix plus cider vin oil because the grass is rubbish and ive only a few skanky bales left> be glad when the hay has been made>