Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a neck strap?

Friesian80 Guest

Default Who uses a neck strap?

Ive used one on Vel for his backing, saves me pulling on his mouth, he knows when I pull on the strap and give him the voice command he stops straight away.
    My previous RI didnt use one and I thought the idea of using one on Vel was a bit pointless to begin with but it has become a very valuable part of our tack! Maybe moreso than the bridle itself!

I use to ride using a neck strap when I first went out hacking as wasn't that confident and used one when went back hacking after my accident other than that I never use on these days don't need to just hold a bit of mane if I start to loose balance

Friesian80 Guest

Im using it for Vels backing once he is properly backed Ill fade it out, but for the youngsters I find it fab as it saves any pulling or tugging on the mouth through the rein

I use my martingale strap as my jesus strap or oh s*** strap

I have a breast plate with a handle and can't see me ever fading it out, my boy is hogged therefore no mane to hold onto.

I made a kind of bespoke "canter Handle" for someone for her RDA dressage. It's got a much chunkier handle higher up than a neck strap so she can grap it while sitting up straight and not fumble in the mane for it. It's on an adapted breastplate with reinforces bits.

My instructor gave me a neck strap when she took us XC. Because she said she always uses one for XC lol That was the only time really, otherwise I just hold onto a piece of mane!

I always have one on Rio for XC, becuase he can be so stupid. I usually have it on when hacking too, just in case.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain."

I always ride with one. I find it very reassuring
    Please visit my ebay, vets bills to pay! 17.01.2013- NEW THINGS ON EBAY starting at 99p!

Whoever's riding Pebbles does, I did when backing her and now she's being rebacked and beginning to argue whoever's riding her does too. I'm having to use a stirrup leather now as we were using a tied together leadrope but she keeps chucking her head down to eat the end that's dangling down, it's very unnerving.