Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a neck strap?

i dont use one, id never be quick enough to think of grabbing it if anything happened anyway

I use Oscar's long mane all the time when jumping. I usually grab a lump in each hand.

Friesian80 Guest

I mean use a neck strap to stop the horse not to help keep your balance when on top

Although it would be useful for that purpose too but instad of pulling on the reins with my youngster I pull on the neck strap and he sdtops dead in his tracks

Hehe same as

Quote Originally Posted by hollysmum View Post
    I use my martingale strap as my jesus strap or oh s*** strap
    RIP Funky you will be missed so much xxx

no i wouldnt use one like that i dont think. i dont pull on the reins anyway, i will use my legs and seat (and voice on a baby), and a slight feel on the reins, which i wouldnt describe as a pull, and they learn very quickly.

I wouldn't use it as a pressure aid, most of mine are driven so I don't want them reacting when a collar comes into play. Seat first if you are riding, voice for driving.

Friesian80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I wouldn't use it as a pressure aid, most of mine are driven so I don't want them reacting when a collar comes into play. Seat first if you are riding, voice for driving.
    I can understand it would be no use if your horse was being broken for driving

Friesian80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    no i wouldnt use one like that i dont think. i dont pull on the reins anyway, i will use my legs and seat (and voice on a baby), and a slight feel on the reins, which i wouldnt describe as a pull, and they learn very quickly.
    I wouldnt 'pull' either, guess I used the wrong word.

I never have ridden with one, but after last nights episode where my bridle snapped and I had no reins, it would have come in handy! Luckily, I live to tell the tale lol...

May purchase one now... "Just in case"

Quote Originally Posted by FayeFriesian View Post
    I never have ridden with one, but after last nights episode where my bridle snapped and I had no reins, it would have come in handy! Luckily, I live to tell the tale lol...

May purchase one now... "Just in case"
    ooops!, have you seen the SJ vid where that happened and she ended up being carted round somwhere like Hickstead with no reins, she leaned forward and held onto the bit rings!