Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worst case scenario- knee op.

Default worst case scenario- knee op.

please, has anyone on here had a knee op on nhs? any idea what the waiting time is. i can hardly walk at the moment- just hobbling around. and just generally asking for any advice from people who have been in this position; what helped, if anything, such as would trainers be better than wellies for general yard work. etc.

ouchy! not had a knee op but jsut wanted to say i hope it all goes well

thank you rosie. it isnt 100% yet that i will have to have it. sorry to mislead. i am just trying to plan ahead for worse case scenario- not easy when you have 4 legged friends dependant on you.

Think it depends on what the diagnosis is. I had 2 knee ops last year for a bone tumour, from diagnosis to op it was 4 weeks and then 2nd op 4 weeks after that. My main worry was the horses too, I was able to go to the yard after 4 weeks on crutches but couldn't lead a horse in or do anything useful. After 6 weeks was able to work with one crutch and do a fair bit, and was able to ride if I clambered up on the wrong side and then threw myself over, (Not my best look ). Most annoying thing is trying to rebuild the muscle in the bad leg, its hard work.
    Good luck with your treatment.
    Spring and summer are riding a piebald mare. (Russian Proverb)

colettebetty; thanks for your reply. i truly hope you are over the worst of it now! it sounds like it has taken a long time, but i am amazed that you could ride after 6 weeks!! where there's a will, theres a way! my problem is nowhere near as serious as yours was; i have just damaged my knee, but it has been 2 monthes now of hobbling around, as i cant bend it or put weight on it, and now to think i might have to wait for nhs. op, and then recovery- just gutted because i cant do what i want to do with ponies. the doctor said it's a 16 week waiting list for a physio in my town, though he has finally got me appt. i cant imagine what the wait for an op would be. i stupidly thought i could try long reining at the weekend; stupid me, once around the paddock at horse walk speed and not favouring my leg, and i am back to square one; agony and a leg brace. i will take you as an inspiration!

Long reining or lungeing was impossible for me too, when my leg was fine I took so much for granted, so I really sympathise.
    Spring and summer are riding a piebald mare. (Russian Proverb)

By knee op do you mean replacement??

Last year I fractured my tib plateau and dis attached acl ..... had op to pin and plate fracture..... was riding in 8 weeks

Same time older friend (mid 50s) had knee replacement was riding just before me and generally recovered A LOT quicker than I did ........... (I was 21 at time ) she did go privately though due to young age..... NHS will not do on people under 60 I think unless really really serious as they do not last all that long.

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

my mum bust her knee at the yard over christmas and her op was supposed to be last month (i say supposed to be cos she was there waiting on the day and they came and told her it was cancelled..)

I had a knee replacement last Sept... thank you Char for saying NHS dont do ops on people under 60.... I was 42!!!! not that serious but in blooming agony... Yes they will do replacement if it calls for it.. but they will make you wait for as long as possible.

Usually NHS have a set period in which to do things.... from referral to treatment date.. be it physio or surgery.... it's usually around 18weeks, but does vary depending where you are in the country

Tilly took me ages to get back on a horse and even longer to feel comfortable riding again. But have done lots of groundwork with pony as he was being re-schooled too.
    Bark 'n' Stride Dog Walking - see http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bark-n...51243278258021 for more info and contact details

Must depend on who you see or areas differ or something then..... as I say I don't know but friend HAD to go private (was effecting her life as a rider and also job as having to drive be on feet along time (saddle fitter))..... as they have a limited life and nhs will have to replace etc..

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.